What's new

My other Journal Page is about Fatips.

Checked it out too Rave and it appears that they have ceased business. They are in the tunneling business nowadays and simply appear to have moved on. Cannot order them through the other channel I had as well. I fear VanderLovett is discontinued and unobtainium going forward.
Wow! From soap-making to tunneling.😲 That's one heck of a different operation. Are you sure it's the same company, Guido?

Wow! From soap-making to tunneling.😲 That's one heck of a different operation. Are you sure it's the same company, Guido?
Well both directors have the same name and the picture resembles too. Could be the internet of course. But man and wife having the same names would be too coincidental to me.

I have checked some sort of company info site and there it said they were owners of Soap World, VanderLovett and now Boreas Tunneling. It appears Harrie (the Van der part) was always more into maritime jobs.

I found it quite the career switch myself as well.

Either way, with the website offline and third party vendors listed it now and now as out of stock (Fendrian even says ‘Discontinued’), the outcome is that this soap maker is likely not to return to the scene.

As we also found out Kox soap and VanderLovett soap are produced by the same soap maker so Kox is currently (knock on wood) still in business. Some soaps are therefore still obtainable.

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Well both directors have the same name and the picture resembles too. Could be the internet of course. But man and wife having the same names would be too coincidental to me.

I have checked some sort of company info site and there it said they were owners of Soap World, VanderLovett and now Boreas Tunneling. It appears Harrie (the Van der part) was always more into maritime jobs.

I found it quite the career switch myself as well.

Either way, with the website offline and third party vendors listed it now and now as out of stock (Fendrian even says ‘Discontinued’), the outcome is that this soap maker is likely not to return to the scene.

As we also found out Kox soap and VanderLovett soap are produced by the same soap maker so Kox is currently (knock on wood) still in business. Some soaps are therefore still obtainable.

Cheers,

Guido
koxbergamotscheerzeepvullingjpg2.jpg :clap:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti Lite
Blade: Perma-Sharp (6)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend
Brush: Omega Evo 2.0
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood and Spice
057_01_21 conv.jpeg

I had a nice close shave this morning. I could put my Blackbird Ti Lite on autopilot and not mess up. This had me thinking about FFFMM 2024 Edition. I have a hundred Wilkies that need testing for a friend. I have my Blackbird Ti CC, which is efficient and smooth on steroids. This lineup, nice as it is, may have to make way for my Ti-Bird and Wilkies. I have a week to try them before I decide to change my official lineup. I'll start with my gratuitous Friday shave. At least Cal is flexible on this point. Wow, saying official adds weight and importance to my indecision. Ah, the gravitas. I've got this! :w00t:

Cheers!
Rave

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blackbird Ti OC/Wilkinson Sword
021_01_1_20 conv.jpeg

Proraso Green Pre-Shave
008_01_18 conv.jpeg

Van Der Lovett Dutch Blue
009_01_2_16 conv.jpeg

Omega Evo 2.0
013_01_18 conv.jpeg

Reuzel Wood and Spice
017_01_18 conv.jpeg

Perhaps, my FFFMM 2024 Edition. Minus the items that are not included in a fixed four, which are the splash and pre-shave. We'll see how I get on with Wilkies. The first shave will be later today.

Cheers!
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti CC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (1)
Soap: Van Der Lovett Dutch Blue
042_01_1_23 conv.jpeg

I had a very nice Friday shave. I enjoy the scent of Van Der Lovett Dutch Blue over Sailors Blend. It has a sweeter tobacco scent with more notes. Of the three Blackbirds, the Blackbird Ti CC is my Goldilocks razor. It fills the sweet spot between the Lite and the OC. My first shave with a German Wilkie was great. It was smooth and sharp. It's been over an hour since I shaved. My skin has no irritation or redness. We'll see how my subsequent shaves go with it. If they are as good as this first shave, this kit for my FFFMM 2024 Edition is a shoo-in.

Cheers!
Rave

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (2)
045_01_23 conv.jpeg

I'm impressed with Wilkinson blades. The second shave was sharp and smooth. There was zero tugging on 49 hours of growth. The blade cut right through, and the stubble was gone. This is looking like the line-up for FFFMM 2024 Edition.

Cheers
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
050_01_23 conv.jpeg

I've started a new routine for science. The current idea is to take shorter strokes with a DE razor and longer with cartridge razors. I saw a how-to-shave video from the 1950's posted on B&B. The things that stuck out were long strokes and a steep angle. Shane, from Blackland, said the Blackbird was designed to get you in and out of the bathroom quicker. I thought, good idea. My shave was a three-pass that took 15 minutes, including prep and clean up. That was pretty cool especially given the results. Further studies are indicated.

Cheers!
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti SB
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
053_01_23 conv.jpeg

This line-up is going to slide right into FFFMM 2024 Edition with bells on. I will continue with my new shaving routine. The results today were splendid. It has me rethinking much of the advice I've read on B&B. From a white belt to a newbie, my advice is to shave as you do with a cartridge razor and remember to mind the pressure. You need less than you think. Otherwise, go for it you'll probably figure it out.

I have been using shorter strokes and thought of my face in terms of flat planes. I would make faces or stretch to make sure the surface area was flat and somewhat taut. My new approach is to stick the razor on my face and shave. A longer stroke has the benefit of momentum. You won't get a speeding ticket from the shaving cops utilizing longer strokes or shaving quickly. Shave the lather off, re-lather, and repeat if doing multiple passes. Then touch up as needed. Today's shave only needed a couple of touch-ups. A quarter inch on my left side jaw-line and the divet by my Adam's apple. The shave was surprisingly better than a well-calculated deliberate shave. I'll continue with this.

Cheers
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti SB
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5)
057_01_23 conv.jpeg

I had a wonderfully splendid shave using what I call my new method, and what everyone else calls shaving.

Cheers!
Rave

Top Bottom