What's new

Hello from UK and opinions sought on my new Fatip

I started safety-razor shaving rather late in life, and after four months feel I am starting to make progress. I think my prep was lacking, but I'm finally starting to get comfortable shaves. I use almost exclusively a 70's English Tech with a modern stainless steel handle. My current favorite blade is a Bic Chrome Platinum. I see a lot of love on here for Fatip razors, so I just purchased Grande. I haven't shaved with it. Compared to my Gillette the blade exposure on the Fatip looks horrendous. What do others think?

Attachments

• IMG_0468.JPG
    IMG_0468.JPG
    697.6 KB · Views: 49
It certainly can be a bit intimidating, but fear not. Is it more aggressive than the Tech sure, but just remember minimal pressure and just concentrate and you will be fine. The Fatip is a fine razor. Just be aware of the potential alignment issues that it may have. Once you mount the blade in it just make sure the exposures are equal on both sides. Otherwise than that you are good to go.

You may want to not do a full 3-pass shave the first go at it if that is what you do normally. Also if you are a daily shaver you will have to see if you can use it daily. However, the bonus of all this is that you will get a very close and nice shave with very little effort. Please let us know how you progress. cheers!

From that top-down view you are looking at blade reveal rather than exposure. Exposure is how far the blade extends past the shaving plane.

GilletteGapLineDrawing.jpg

Blade reveal should be equal on both sides. From the view on your photo, I'd say you got lucky with your Fatip. Some have blade alignment issues but yours looks perfect. My Fatip Grande gives great shaves. @blethenstrom has offered some good advice, enjoy!

It certainly can be a bit intimidating, but fear not. Is it more aggressive than the Tech sure, but just remember minimal pressure and just concentrate and you will be fine. The Fatip is a fine razor. Just be aware of the potential alignment issues that it may have. Once you mount the blade in it just make sure the exposures are equal on both sides. Otherwise than that you are good to go.

You may want to not do a full 3-pass shave the first go at it if that is what you do normally. Also if you are a daily shaver you will have to see if you can use it daily. However, the bonus of all this is that you will get a very close and nice shave with very little effort. Please let us know how you progress. cheers!
Thanks for the reassurance. Yes I had to tease it a bit to align the blade evenly. Of course I'm longing to try it out, but I'm currently testing a Bic CP to destruction in the Tech (8 shaves and counting). I had thought about switching that blade to a more aggressive razor once it starts to tug. But do you think I would be wiser to test-run the Fatip with a new but milder blade?

From that top-down view you are looking at blade reveal rather than exposure. Exposure is how far the blade extends past the shaving plane.

View attachment 1808212

Blade reveal should be equal on both sides. From the view on your photo, I'd say you got lucky with your Fatip. Some have blade alignment issues but yours looks perfect. My Fatip Grande gives great shaves. @blethenstrom has offered some good advice, enjoy!
Thanks for the correction. I bought the Fatip from an established vendor in Scotland but (in light of some comments about that razor I read on here) I messaged him first to check the blade alignment before he sent it out. (I thought I had nothing to lose over taking pot luck.) Not sure if he did as he never replied to the message, but maybe he did check.

Thanks for the reassurance. Yes I had to tease it a bit to align the blade evenly. Of course I'm longing to try it out, but I'm currently testing a Bic CP to destruction in the Tech (8 shaves and counting). I had thought about switching that blade to a more aggressive razor once it starts to tug. But do you think I would be wiser to test-run the Fatip with a new but milder blade?
My rule of thumb testing a new razor is keep all other variables familiar - use a tested soap, brush, and blade. If you have a milder blade that you enjoy in other razors then use it. I would use a new blade that is familiar to your shaving routine.
Also, have you used an Open Comb razor before?

Using a blade that you know well with a few shaves on it is a great one to try in a new to you razor. this is how I mostly start out with one. A milder new blade may be a good choice too.

My rule of thumb testing a new razor is keep all other variables familiar - use a tested soap, brush, and blade. If you have a milder blade that you enjoy in other razors then use it. I would use a new blade that is familiar to your shaving routine.
Also, have you used an Open Comb razor before?
No never used an open comb. Once I discovered the Tech I stuck with it for three months for the reasons you cite. I was searching for a blade I could love in it ... and that turned out to be the BIC.

I started safety-razor shaving rather late in life, and after four months feel I am starting to make progress. I think my prep was lacking, but I'm finally starting to get comfortable shaves. I use almost exclusively a 70's English Tech with a modern stainless steel handle. My current favorite blade is a Bic Chrome Platinum. I see a lot of love on here for Fatip razors, so I just purchased Grande. I haven't shaved with it. Compared to my Gillette the blade exposure on the Fatip looks horrendous. What do others think?
looks good to me, the blade is not skewed, I use more forgiving blades in the Grande, i.e. Gillette Wilkinson from India.

Great advice above!

It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ a new (to me) razor. Sometimes it’s an improvement. Other times the new razor is an ‘experience.’ Just give the new razor a fair chance and learn from the experience.

You may not do better that the combination of a Tech with a sharp blade (which works well for me)! But you will never know unless you try!

You may not do better that the combination of a Tech with a sharp blade (which works well for me)! But you will never know unless you try!
You may be right. I had a cold recently and delayed shaving until I had 5 days growth. I can't remember what blade I had in (it wasn't a Bic) but the Tech coped just fine. Is there anything that little razor isn't good for?

My most important piece of advice advice for the Fatip - the "sweet spot" in terms of shave angle is shallower than you think it's going to be. It is more aggressive than the Tech (a lot) but if it feels a bit rough and tuggy try shallowing up a little.

Fatip user for more than a decade.

Fatip is an excellent razor so you made a good choice there! And you went for the open comb which I think is the smoother shaver of the two they carry. Compared to a Tech I would actually say that they do not differ that much - at least not to me. Yes the Fatip is an open comb and therefore potentially more ‘aggressive’, but I don’t think the Fatip has a positive blade exposure like the Tech does. I find my Piccolo to be deceptively milder and then during rinsing I find out it has done a tremendous job at removing anything in its path.

Just make sure you are using zero pressure and go slow the first period of usage. Once you have the Fatip dialled in you might just have found your razor for life.

Enjoy!

Guido

The "ha ha" is for me... What is this thing called "your razor for life"? I've only heard rumors about it but I know I've never experienced one. <eg> evil grin :devil:
I know Kim, I know…I thought it was a better suggestion than to enable the max out of our newly joint brother! He is in the UK after all - Walhalla for English Gillettes, Star, Wilkinson, Kirby, and the like.

He’ll be perfectly ok restraining to only his Fatip…right?! :lol:

When I made the purchase I didn't know about the v1 & v2 heads. Is it a certainty that if it isn't stamped with the maker's name under the base plate that it's a v1? The one I have has no name stamp.

When I made the purchase I didn't know about the v1 & v2 heads. Is it a certainty that if it isn't stamped with the maker's name under the base plate that it's a v1? The one I have has no name stamp.
Without the Fatip stamp it’s Mk1 and looking at your blade exposure in the first picture that is most likely the case (unless you were using Kai blades which I believe you were not). The Mk1 is more aggressive than Mk2 because the blade extends more outward (and without being bent or clamped). That is something to be aware of yes.

Nice catch though! Mk1 is harder to find nowadays!

Top Bottom