What's new

My other Journal Page is about Fatips.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
OK.... It's official... the newest Blackbird Tetrad will include all 4 of you. I can see myself owning a Blackland razor later this year. I would be torn at this point between the Vector Lite... and one of the Blackbirds. I'm not sure which metal to choose. I only have one completely titanium razor.. the Timeless Ti 0.68OC along with my favorite handle: the Ti Crown. I know I wouldn't buy a Titanium Vector.... just too light... but I've heard such good things about the titanium Blackbird.... though brass is easily plated in Chris' 24K hardened gold..... That might be something else. <eg>
I love the weight of my Blackbird Ti. It's 56 grams, not too light and not heavy. It weighs roughly the same as a vintage Gillette Tech. That is in the Goldilocks range. I don't know what the Vector weighs. The downside, for me, is blade choice and expense. It would cost a bit to buy 2,000 years' worth of blades for it, and what about that amount of DE blades I have that I will never use? :tongue_sm

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti Lite
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend
Brush: Omega Evo 2.0
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood and Spice
057_01_21 conv.jpeg

Ah, this shave was like being wrapped in a warm cuddly blanket. Is this what Thom means by his shave binky? I think his binky is literal rather than metaphorical. Regardless, everyone should have one in their shave routine.

The Blackbird Ti Lite paired with a Perma-Sharp rendered excellent results. There was no redness or irritation. My skin felt great. This may be my favorite razor in the universe. I'm a big fan of the Lite baseplate and Perma-Sharps are growing on me. I only have a 100. I need to order more. It must wait until 100 Wilkies (German) show up for a "friend". I am going to test all 100 of them for him. However long it takes, for science!

Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend, the best brush in the universe, and Reuzel Wood and Spice rounded out the kit. Life couldn't be better.

Cheers!
Rave

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD:
Razor: Blackbird Ti Lite
Blade: Perma-Sharp (2)
Pre-Shave: Proraso Green
Soap: Van Der Lovett Sailor's Blend
Brush: Omega Evo 2.0
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood and Spice
062_01_21 conv.jpeg

I did a back-to-back shave. There was not much growth over twenty-four hours. It was a nice three-pass shave. The results mirrored yesterday. It was smooth with no irritation. Life is good.

Cheers
Rave

So the Lite is the same blade exposure but with less blade gap right? What would you guess the gap is?

By comparison if allowed that is. The Greencult 2.I would be .45mm gap with .05mm exposure. That exposure would be similar to the Timeless razors minus the gap obviously.

I'm going to have to research that. The Blackland site says the Blackbird Lite provides half the blade feel by reducing blade gap and less blade exposure.
Lol, good luck with that. If exposure is half of the standard then we're looking at either .05, .07 or .11 depending on which number I've seen.

Sometimes I'm tempted to just travel to SF and waterboard the bb blade exposure out of Shane. 🤔

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Lol, good luck with that. If exposure is half of the standard then we're looking at either .05, .07 or .11 depending on which number I've seen.
I noticed the Lite baseplate is thicker. I haven't compared the width. There is plenty of blade feel with the Lite. It's either the gap and blade are reduced equally, or the gap is reduced more than the blade exposure. I'm certain, it's not the other way around.
Sometimes I'm tempted to just travel to SF and waterboard the bb blade exposure out of Shane. 🤔
giphy.gif

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi Cal. Do you know or have any exposure numbers on the Lupo OC95. I know @Raven Koenes is sweet on the Blackbird. He rated it above the Lupo. Right now I continue to dial in my Lupo OC95. Thank You.
John, I still love my Lupo 95 both SB and OC. What is weird, I don't have a preference for SB and OC with my Lupo. I prefer the SB on my Blackbird. I prefer the OC on my Fatips compared to the Gentile.

Thanks, Cal. I can see how they can reduce the gap with the baseplate. The cap remains the same. The lite bar seems more rounded when I compare pictures to this. Perhaps, this is how they reduced exposure?
On the lite baseplate less material is removed. This automatically reduces the gap AND the exposure.

(Think of Gillette Adjustables. The baseplate remains the same, but when moved up or down the gap AND exposure are decreased or increased.)

Thanks, I've seen that and it's where I got one of the measurements. The original Kickstart states 0.101, then someone measured (I think) and posted in the Wolfman thread a .14, and then we have .22mm.

So what, did Shane change/increase the blade exposure from the Kickstart and Dec 2015 release? Did he change it sometime in the last eights years but mums the word? I mean 0.101 with that gap is Tech territory so I definitely lean toward the .14 or .22.

I know it shouldn't bug me so much, but it just pegs the needle into the red on my shaving OCD. Talk about a State Secret. 🤫

Last edited:
Thanks, I've seen that and it's where I got one of the measurements. The original Kickstart states 0.101, then someone measured (I think) and posted in the Wolfman thread a .14, and then we have .22mm.

So what, did Shane change/increase the blade exposure from the Kickstart and Dec 2016 release? Did he change it sometime in the last eights years but mums the word? I mean 0.101 with that gap is Tech territory so I definitely lean toward the .14 or .22.

I know it shouldn't bug me so much, but it just pegs the needle into the red on my shaving OCD. Talk about a State Secret. 🤫
See THIS POST. Doug (@Rosseforp RIP) took that photo for me. We both agreed on the exposure measurement (me with my rough handheld camera photo and Doug with his precise [everything adjusted and clamped] photo).

Super post @Cal! That would actually place the Blackbird in the same blade exposure as the original Greencult that has .25mm - what makes the Blackbird then smoother again is the reduced blade gap compared to the GC1 which has .95mm.

Given your more precise measure would the blade gap than also be different from .58mm listed on Kickstarter?

Thanks,

Guido

Super post @Cal! That would actually place the Blackbird in the same blade exposure as the original Greencult that has .25mm - what makes the Blackbird then smoother again is the reduced blade gap compared to the GC1 which has .95mm.

Given your more precise measure would the blade gap than also be different from .58mm listed on Kickstarter?
THIS THREAD may interest you, and @Sweeney_, Guido. On page 2 you'll see that I checked and got the blade gap to be 0.55mm with my feeler gauge.

There's also good stuff from Doug (RIP) there.

Top Bottom