What's new

Muhle R41...can anything beat its efficiency?

Like several gentlemen stated in previous posts, I concur as well that there are several razors which shave closer and definitely smoother than an R41.

I've been lucky enough to be of the tribe of efficient razor lovers, to the point of madness (Stirling HA plate I'm looking at you), but every bit of journey was worry it.

These razors are in my rotation and they all consistently give me better (closer, smoother, lasting) shave results over an R41:

Green Cult V1.0
Blackland Blackbird SS Open Comb
Stirling Standard and Hyper Aggressive plate

Heck, a Feather loaded Game Changer 84 Open Comb will give me similar results in closeness of shave as an R41.

I think a lot of the end results and closeness in shaves are dependent upon the user skill with that razor, maybe that's why wide variety of razors are stated to be capable of giving similar if not better shaves than an R41.

At the end of the day, it's what we enjoy using it that matters over who's got the razor with biggest bite.

If cost is a factor, though, I believe all of those are a lot more expensive than the standard R41. So in terms of efficiency "bang for the buck," I would say the standard R41 would still be in the running.

Don't own a genuine R41, only the cheap Chinese copy, being a maybe $5.00 impulse buy a couple years ago. (Ironically just before winning the Ambassador in Ken Surf's giveaway). While not the smoothest razor, it does shave exceptionally close, and actually isn't too bad feeling with both a light touch, and the right angle. - It's VERY sensitive to the angle, on how rough it feels. Gets near BBS in a single pass, using a Pol-Silver SI blade. If I didn't now have the Ambassador, I'd probably have ordered the R41 replacement head already, to give it a try, as some claim the genuine article is much smoother than the clone model, and I like very efficient razors. (BTW, the R41 clone is SMOOTHER and easier to shave with than the Timeless Bronze .78 OC, which I bought and ultimately returned, it caught every single scar/imperfection on my face, and yielded a nick-fest for me, without getting particularly close to BBS).

Of course, I can get the same closeness with the Rex Ambassador, with a smoother feel using a Rapira Plat Lux, Crystal Super+, Wester Wall, or Voskhod blade. The Timeless 95 OC, might take a few more strokes, but is oh so much smoother and gentler feeling in practice than either the R41 Clone or Rex Ambassador, being a totally different animal than their Bronze .78 OC. Having previously owned a Schone (Fatip), it didn't have the efficiency for me that I get with the Timeless, Rex, or R41 clone.

I try to use my R41/SLOC every month.
just to clarify you use the muhle r41 base late and the top cap from the fatip slant open comb de razor right?

i asked as i thought the thread for the fatip is bit difference in size so was wondering is it only the fatuip handles or those size threaded handles you can use with this hybrid? just want to make sure thanks

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
just to clarify you use the muhle r41 base late and the top cap from the fatip slant open comb de razor right?

i asked as i thought the thread for the fatip is bit difference in size so was wondering is it only the fatuip handles or those size threaded handles you can use with this hybrid? just want to make sure thanks
Not correct. I use the R41 base and the RazoRock SLOC cap.

No Fatip Slant is involved. :)

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Fatip Lo Storto Originale aka FOCS aka SLOC doesn’t seem that far off in the grand scheme of things

• Haha
Reactions: saj
To answer the question in the original post. Yes, there are a few razors that come to mind. Futur @6 (or 6.5), Ikon Tek, Roedter 1909. To be honest, I think even my Ikon Short comb beats it. And I am comparing to the 2013 R41, not the latest mould with less exposure.

Lo Storto Originale - can't get a BBS whatever blades and angles I tried. So, very far behind the R41.

The R41 changed from the original 2011 model in 2013. The 2013 model is the latest model with less exposure. The R41 hasn't changed since 2013.
Wrong!

Wrong!
Unless a razor, in this case a Muhle R41, is purchased directly from Muhle, the buyer is likely to get new old stock from second party resellers.

anyone know the difference in specs between the Razorock SLOC head and the DLC-Yagi Mellon OC head?

They appear to be identical. Same comb tine count and seemingly similar propostions.

FYI - I did try searching with no luck.

Last edited:
anyone know the difference in specs between the Razorock SLOC head and the DLC-Yagi Mellon OC head?

They appear to be identical. Same comb tine count and seemingly similar propostions.
I am pretty sure some time ago I read here on the forum someone claiming they are not 100% the same.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
finding the right razor for yourself is like finding the right woman for yourself--the time comes to quit looking. :001_smile

Wiser words may not have been said on this forum. I am struggling with RAD daily. I have every razor I have ever wanted, and way more than I ever needed. I am adopting this as my RAD busting mantra. Thank you!

I believe that @BradWorld came up with the R41/SLOC Frankenrazor. Got to give credit where credit is due. :)

Appreciate the credit. But it's not due. I read about it somewhere. I'll take credit for passing along the I fo to you, David. 😁

Top Bottom