What's new

Muhle R41...can anything beat its efficiency?

Just had my first shave with an R41. I think the question of this thread should be "Muhle R41...can anything beat it's efficiency without being aggressive?" It was so easy and comfortable to use. I now understand why it has such a following.

BINGO!

Such key words indeed. I also think there is an ocean of difference between efficient and aggressive.

I don't consider the R41 head to be in any way aggressive. I do consider it to be highly efficient.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Well I've had and sold the 41. An efficient and close shave but to much concentration required in the early am. So IMH (no BS here) this piece of plastic from WWII does it for me. A Simplex three-piece military razor circa 1942-44 from the European theater. I aquired this years ago and was flabbergasted the first time (and every time) I use it. Bottom line it's the smoothest most efficient razor of the 50+ vintage that I own. Now remember you asked and as always everybody's mileage will vary.
View attachment 1559127
That Simplex is a cool looking razor. I'd like to get my hands on one of those.
:cool:

Last edited:
Blade chatter. Tugger. Scraper. Put mine down for a while.

And then I loaded a Kai blade into one.

Whole other level of efficiency (which to me is whether the razor cuts the hairs when you run the razor across it; many “favorites” don’t) and comfort (which to me is greatly enhanced when multiple buffing passes over stubborn hair aren’t necessary).

Just my $0.02.

I've been surprised by my first shaves with the R41 that I just got for Christmas.

Actually it's an R103: an R41 head on a resin/tortoiseshell handle.

The shaves have been good. I'm using Proraso pre-shave (Wood and Spice, love it), and WSP Rustic Shaving Soap, both also Christmas gifts. I've got a Gillette Platinum in there, which for me is a neutral/sharp blade.

But the shaves haven't been extraordinary, bloody, or dangerous-feeling. They've been good. With the first pass, I was expecting a big increase in efficiency over my other razors: Rockwell 6S (plate 5), Pearl Flexi (5), Gillette New Long Comb. (I figured it would even out after that.) But the R103's first pass, with the grain, was about the same as those others. The second pass cleaned it all up nicely, but again, not appreciably better than the others. And the .5 third pass left me pretty much where I've been with the Rockwell.

Given the R41's reputation, I've shaved mindfully, with a light touch. So far no nicks, cuts, or weepers at all. For what it's worth, my skin isn't particularly sensitive, and my beard is pretty average, I guess (though I haven't touched a lot of other men's beards—not that there's anything wrong with that). I shave daily.

So yeah, I like my new R103 and will continue using it with pleasure. But the differences between it and my other razors aren't as pronounced as I was expecting. (Actually I find a lot in this hobby like that: the differences between products have been subtler for me than I'd been led to anticipate.) Maybe my technique could be better, though I have played with angles quite a lot, and most importantly, I know my own face very well.

Don't mean to sound like I'm disappointed that I haven't cut myself. And I have had good shaves with it. But I can't help feeling a bit Peggy Lee about the whole experience.
Pegall.jpg

I've been surprised by my first shaves with the R41 that I just got for Christmas.

Actually it's an R103: an R41 head on a resin/tortoiseshell handle.

The shaves have been good. I'm using Proraso pre-shave (Wood and Spice, love it), and WSP Rustic Shaving Soap, both also Christmas gifts. I've got a Gillette Platinum in there, which for me is a neutral/sharp blade.

But the shaves haven't been extraordinary, bloody, or dangerous-feeling. They've been good. With the first pass, I was expecting a big increase in efficiency over my other razors: Rockwell 6S (plate 5), Pearl Flexi (5), Gillette New Long Comb. (I figured it would even out after that.) But the R103's first pass, with the grain, was about the same as those others. The second pass cleaned it all up nicely, but again, not appreciably better than the others. And the .5 third pass left me pretty much where I've been with the Rockwell.

Given the R41's reputation, I've shaved mindfully, with a light touch. So far no nicks, cuts, or weepers at all. For what it's worth, my skin isn't particularly sensitive, and my beard is pretty average, I guess (though I haven't touched a lot of other men's beards—not that there's anything wrong with that). I shave daily.

So yeah, I like my new R103 and will continue using it with pleasure. But the differences between it and my other razors aren't as pronounced as I was expecting. (Actually I find a lot in this hobby like that: the differences between products have been subtler for me than I'd been led to anticipate.) Maybe my technique could be better, though I have played with angles quite a lot, and most importantly, I know my own face very well.

Don't mean to sound like I'm disappointed that I haven't cut myself. And I have had good shaves with it. But I can't help feeling a bit Peggy Lee about the whole experience.
View attachment 1580093
Peggy Lee nice touch

I've been DE shaving for nearly 14 years now. I'm to the point where getting razor recommendations online is almost irrelevant since the product use and results are so hyper individual due to the uniquely individual characteristics of one's skin, hair, hand-eye coordination and personal preferences.

That aside, I've had the Muhle 2011 and 2013 R41 heads, and DE89 head on the standard and Grande handles.

For my skin/hair, the 2011 with any blade/handle necessitates absolute focus and I've almost always experienced a nick. I seldom use it since I seldom have the time or mental clarity to pay enough attention to shave without any issues.

For that reason, I typically use the 2013 R41 head on the Grande handle and I can get a decent shave without having to burn my brain.

If I'm feeling unwell and want to not look like a ruffian, I'll use the DE89 since I can be pretty mindless and it'll knock the hair off with me having to think too hard.

I've also tried swapping the Yagi OC head onto my handles and Muhle bases, and haven't experienced anything earth shattering.

While I desire 100% stuble elimination, I'm seldom ever able to put in the mental effort or time to get there. For me, 80% is more than good enough for a lot less time and effort.

I'd love to try another razor, but I'm not convinced I'll get a better result in the same or less time and probably not for less money. :)

For that reason, I typically use the 2013 R41 head on the Grande handle and I can get a decent shave without having to burn my brain.

Never tried the 2011 version but it does appear to have a certain evilness about it.

I migrated from the DE89 and similar heads to the R41 head.

I don't have any difficulties in getting a shave that is superior to the DE89 group, while still shaving in the exact same manner.

There is a lot of blade feel with this head that allows me to accurately judge how I am shaving. I suppose this does require a few more neurons to fire, but it is far from an overwhelming task.

I'd love to try another razor, but I'm not convinced I'll get a better result in the same or less time and probably not for less money.

I can't see getting a closer shave, without taking off a layer of skin in the progress!

I certainly can't imagine saving any more time, as specially without spending a fair amount more money.

Some of my other razors do come close, but the R41 remains Supreme.

Last edited:
No offense taken, but obviously you're welcome to buy contenders to try since I don't loan out my razors ;)
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. Having tried "contenders" over the years, and with various blades and creams and soaps, I would be hard pressed to find a razor that shaves my particular face as precisely, effortlessly and efficiently as the Star 100. I am admittedly partial to vintage hardware, but finding the right razor for yourself is like finding the right woman for yourself--the time comes to quit looking. :001_smile

I don't consider the R41 to be that much of an efficiency monster. The following razors are more efficient:
Roedter 1909
Stirling Stainless HA
Ikon TEK
Blackland Blackbird Fatip V1
GEM MMOC
Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 3

And there are others.

The Blackland Vectors, Colonial Razors The General V2 and the Above The Tie X1 Slant are deceptively efficient. They are as efficient as the R41, but are so smooth that you don't know it - until you feel your face.

My favorite R41 configuration is the R41 Plate + the SLOC cap. All the efficiency of the R41 but smoother.

Just my opinion. :)

Yea I agree as in the r41 isn't the monster that it's made out to be, if anything it's one my most comfortable razors

That sounds like a really good hybrid razor idea, you got any pics of the muhle 41 baseplate and the SLOC cap? Which handle do you use with it?

Might try that for the next headshave sounds good

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Yea I agree as in the r41 isn't the monster that it's made out to be, if anything it's one my most comfortable razors

That sounds like a really good hybrid razor idea, you got any pics of the muhle 41 baseplate and the SLOC cap? Which handle do you use with it?

Might try that for the next headshave sounds good
I believe that @BradWorld came up with the R41/SLOC Frankenrazor. Got to give credit where credit is due. :)

You can use a variety of handles with the R41/SLOC head. Most of the time I use the Mühle Rosegold handle:
20220621_152816~2.jpg
20220621_152819~2.jpg

I really like this Frankenrazor. Cool combination.

I paid less than $50 each for my R41 razors. I can't bring myself to spending much more than that, like nearly three times as much on a razor head alone from some of these boutique makers like Above the Tie. Heck, @Crixus is doing well with a sub-$20 vintage razor!

I'd love to try a slant head some day for fun, but I would feel financially irresponsible to blow $### on one of these CNC'd to space-spec pieces especially considering I only have a few times a week.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I paid less than $50 each for my R41 razors. I can't bring myself to spending much more than that, like nearly three times as much on a razor head alone from some of these boutique makers like Above the Tie. Heck, @Crixus is doing well with a sub-$20 vintage razor!

I'd love to try a slant head some day for fun, but I would feel financially irresponsible to blow $### on one of these CNC'd to space-spec pieces especially considering I only have a few times a week.
If that works for you, great. :)

Others, though, have shaved with a variety of the higher end razors and feel that the difference in price is justified.

It's whatever works for each person's face, skin and beard. :)

Great analogy! Practically everything you read suggests that the R41 is this horribly agressive razor. Early last summer, I happened to find that I could just buy the head alone for $25. My curiosity got the better of me.

I was very apprehensive for my first few shaves. After awhile, my thoughts turned to other things and I was focusing less on this "monster" of a razor. After a couple of weeks, it just became ordinary.

Y

Count yourself as one of the sensible ones lol

Top Bottom