What's new

Muhle R41...can anything beat its efficiency?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yes. The R41 has the most efficient first pass for me. However, I have other razors that offer a more efficient end result after three passes. Like the Wolfman WR2 1.55, the Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 3, the Blackland Tradere OC and the Blackbird. And the R41 does it’s work with the continuous threat of nicks and cuts. And the R41 is subject to annoying blade chatter. There is a high probability of irritation for me with the R41 as well.

Nope, not for me. I don't understand the complaint (if it is a complaint?) about blade chatter or having better efficiency after more passes. I need only 2 passes and I have a super close shave. I've also never gotten nicks or cuts from the R41. Great and super efficient razor for me!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Take a look at the Green Cult 2.0 with Plate IV, the Blackbird OC, the Timeless Slim OC. They have different characteristics, but they can achieve a BBS with few passes and corrections.

At this point it becomes preference. How aggressive or rough does the razor feel, which angle does it like to shave (the Blackbird OC wants it shallow, otherwise its feeling nasty, the Slim is best at a steep and scraping, kinda rough type of shave, etc...) and pick your favorite when it comes to injury risk and other characteristics.

The R41 punishes mistakes but gives fair warning, a razor very similar but with better clamping and less chatter is the Monocero Husaria, in general I prefer the stiff blade of the Timeless Slim with little chance for injury or the Green Cult V2.0, with a different handle than the default.

A step less aggressive, but very nice: Every Wolfman clone from Razorock and Yaqi. I pick the more aggressive versions, they are higher end of mid-aggressive and they are by usual preference by now. I can shave with them without paying overly much attention, going back to the R41 is usually difficult, taking the other direction is usually more relaxing. You basically find most other razors mild and forgiving. :)

The word "efficient" to me means getting the most output from the least input. I would classify most of my decent mild razors (Techs, AS-D2, Rockets etc) as highly efficient. The R41 is undoubtedly an aggressive razor and to be honest a bit too much for me. It reminds me of a cat I once owned that had a tendency to scratch and occasionally bite. Lots of people love the R41 and good luck to them.

This post reminded me that I hadn't used my R41 in a while, so it was this morning's razor.

I get an excellent shave with the R41 as long as it's a good sharp blade. Derby Extra or Dorco ST300 don't work well in it for me. I used a second use Rapira Platinum Lux this morning and got a fine shave. Feather or Nacet or Astra SP are my favorites in the R41.

To the question of efficiency, I rate the efficiency of my Blackland Blackbird as right there with the R41, but no, it does not surpass it. But the Blackbird is far less aggressive and therefore (for me) much more enjoyable to use.

20221119_055741.jpg

Take a look at the Green Cult 2.0 with Plate IV, the Blackbird OC, the Timeless Slim OC. They have different characteristics, but they can achieve a BBS with few passes and corrections.

So can a Gillette Tech... I do it on a weekly basis.

This post reminded me that I hadn't used my R41 in a while, so it was this morning's razor.

I get an excellent shave with the R41 as long as it's a good sharp blade. Derby Extra or Dorco ST300 don't work well in it for me. I used a second use Rapira Platinum Lux this morning and got a fine shave. Feather or Nacet or Astra SP are my favorites in the R41.

To the question of efficiency, I rate the efficiency of my Blackland Blackbird as right there with the R41, but no, it does not surpass it. But the Blackbird is far less aggressive and therefore (for me) much more enjoyable to use.

View attachment 1559107
Well opined Big T……

At this point it becomes preference. How aggressive or rough does the razor feel, which angle does it like to shave (the Blackbird OC wants it shallow, otherwise its feeling nasty, the Slim is best at a steep and scraping, kinda rough type of shave, etc...) and pick your favorite when it comes to injury risk and other characteristics.

The R41 punishes mistakes but gives fair warning, a razor very similar but with better clamping and less chatter is the Monocero Husaria, in general I prefer the stiff blade of the Timeless Slim with little chance for injury or the Green Cult V2.0, with a different handle than the default.

A step less aggressive, but very nice: Every Wolfman clone from Razorock and Yaqi. I pick the more aggressive versions, they are higher end of mid-aggressive and they are by usual preference by now. I can shave with them without paying overly much attention, going back to the R41 is usually difficult, taking the other direction is usually more relaxing. You basically find most other razors mild and forgiving. :)
“The R41 punishes mistakes but gives fair warning”…..Well said Iridian.

Well I've had and sold the 41. An efficient and close shave but to much concentration required in the early am. So IMH (no BS here) this piece of plastic from WWII does it for me. A Simplex three-piece military razor circa 1942-44 from the European theater. I aquired this years ago and was flabbergasted the first time (and every time) I use it. Bottom line it's the smoothest most efficient razor of the 50+ vintage that I own. Now remember you asked and as always everybody's mileage will vary.
5.JPG

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
RazoRock Hawk V3OC might be on that playing field. Once shaved my head with one when my hair was about an inch long. One ATG pass took me down to bare skin.

Well, the R41 never worked for me...too much bloodletting. Now the Razorine FlatBoy has been compared to the R41 in terms of efficiency etc and I decided to buy one. An amazing two pass with some buffing shave. Other razors I find as efficient are the Blutt 1.20, the Overlander, the Drakkant and Athena.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't consider the R41 to be that much of an efficiency monster. The following razors are more efficient:
Roedter 1909
Stirling Stainless HA
Ikon TEK
Blackland Blackbird Fatip V1
GEM MMOC
Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 3

And there are others.

The Blackland Vectors, Colonial Razors The General V2 and the Above The Tie X1 Slant are deceptively efficient. They are as efficient as the R41, but are so smooth that you don't know it - until you feel your face.

My favorite R41 configuration is the R41 Plate + the SLOC cap. All the efficiency of the R41 but smoother.

Just my opinion. :)

Well I've had and sold the 41. An efficient and close shave but to much concentration required in the early am. So IMH (no BS here) this piece of plastic from WWII does it for me. A Simplex three-piece military razor circa 1942-44 from the European theater. I aquired this years ago and was flabbergasted the first time (and every time) I use it. Bottom line it's the smoothest most efficient razor of the 50+ vintage that I own. Now remember you asked and as always everybody's mileage will vary.
View attachment 1559127
This type of razor often surpasses anything contemporary.
My theory is men were used to DE razors from their first shave and their technique could have been so much better, they handled their razors better too.

I don't consider the R41 to be that much of an efficiency monster. The following razors are more efficient:
Roedter 1909
Stirling Stainless HA
Ikon TEK
Blackland Blackbird Fatip V1
GEM MMOC
Charcoal Goods Gen 1 Level 3

And there are others.

The Blackland Vectors, Colonial Razors The General V2 and the Above The Tie X1 Slant are deceptively efficient. They are as efficient as the R41, but are so smooth that you don't know it - until you feel your face.

My favorite R41 configuration is the R41 Plate + the SLOC cap. All the efficiency of the R41 but smoother.

Just my opinion. :)
I second that, most certainly as far as the Roedter is concerned 😉

Top Bottom