What's new

Let's Talk Oats!

I've been eating 30 grams of steel cut oats and 200 grams of egg whites, seasoned with Mrs. Dash, for breakfast every morning for a few weeks now. Filling, healthy, gets things moving. Good way to start the day.

I have a recipe for overnight oats, that calls for a soak with whey, buttermilk, or yogurt. The idea is that the bacteria go to work on the oats, making them more palatable and digestible. The upshot is it also cuts the cook time as the oats have absorbed a fair amount over night. The book I got the recipe from, said the Scottish people would put their porridge in a drawer and then over the course of a week or so, cut out a square or two, heat and go. I can't speak to the veracity of this, but even as a made up story, I kinda like it. The taste of the soaked oats is not sour, but has a little something extra for the soak. Very good.

1C oats
1 1/2C water
1/4C whey, buttermilk, or yogurt

Put everything in pot or bowl and cover with lid or towel overnight. To cook, add another 1C water, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer, stirring to desired consistency. I like the oats a little chewy or toothsome. With butter, cream, milk and honey, you can't get much better. You can add some frozen or dried fruit towards the end of the cook and end up with delicious results as well. I like to keep them plain, because I take the leftovers and make fried mush for breakfast the following day. That is another special treat that my son and I enjoy.

1 1/2C cooked oats
1 or 2 eggs
lard or tallow for cooking

combine oats and eggs and shape into balls or add whole shebang to pan at same time. Brown the oats, then flip, then eat plain or with some maple syrup. For me, the oats with tallow and maple syrup are fantastic. I put the whole mess in the pan, because I don't have the patience to do little oat balls, but I suspect they would be really good that way.

I called it oatmeal growing up, by the way, and didn't really realize that was what Goldilocks was eating until I was much older. Now I call it porridge.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oatmeal is a type of porridge. Porridge can be any hot starchy mush using grains or vegetables. Going back to nursery rhymes there is that old song we were taught in kindergarten:

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold, Pease porridge in the pot, nine days old; Some like it hot, some like it cold, Some like it in the pot, nine days old.

Top Bottom