What's new

Let's Talk Oats!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Don just move one state West and you can leave your oatmeal sit outside and it will just continue to cook. It won't work where you are at with that humidity it will get moldy.

I have been spending 30 minutes cooking the oats for years. I just recently found that recipe and that's the only way I do them now. If you want them hot just put in the microwave for 2 minutes. I made up a batch today with dried apples and cinnamon.

Hot oatmeal or any other hot mush, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes etc., i find the texture repulsive so i want to go with the cold reconstituted steel cuts or i may play with rolled see how they go down.

dave

Don just move one state West and you can leave your oatmeal sit outside and it will just continue to cook. It won't work where you are at with that humidity it will get moldy.

That's hilarious...but true!

Went to Costco yesterday and got a seven pound bag of of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats. Cooked some up this morning and added just a bit of honey. I have had a lot of steel oats before but this stuff is pretty darn good.

$Oats.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually doing a one week, plant based died (vegan) challenge. I've done the over night oats all 5 days so far and love them. Using different fruit really helps keep it fresh. Some stevia and a dollup of honey help too. Trying to do something with my internal health, I've been having issues with my BP and the doctors don't know why. I'm 32 and otherwise healthy, heavy, but I eat as well as I can as often as I can. But the change in diet really seemed to shock the body. This morning before I took any pills my BP was 110/77, so I hope it does something that I can stick to in the long run.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This thread got me so worked up that I made steel cut oats for lunch. A drizzle of honey, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a few grinds of black pepper rounded it all out. Man, that was good!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Steel cut oats have a nuttier taste and good chew to them. I toast mine in the pot before adding boiling water from the kettle (careful as your pot is hot by this time and it can get pretty violent) done in 18 minutes. Once you have your routine set you can be away from the stove doing other things like making coffee or taking a quick shower. I admit I like things sweet but crasins (dried cranberries) help me minimize the amount of brown sugar I like to add.

long cook oats mix in a raw egg 2 minutes before its done stir put on the lid let set for 3 more serve with red or black pepper very good on a cold morning

Standard breakfast for me is large flake rolled oats, which takes just as long to cook as it takes me to clean up the mess that I have left in the kitchen from the night before.

I stick the lid on and let it cool while I drink morning coffee, read a book to my younger daughter, get dressed and have a shave.

These days I usually have these oats with a splash of good olive oil and some fresh ground pepper. Occasionally I will vary that with fruit, brown sugar and milk. For a while I was in the habit of cracking a tin of sardines over the oats and sharing them with one or both of my daughters, who loved them that way. All that fish has made them geniuses, by the way.

This is all suggested by the Chinese tradition of combining salty or savoury things with rice porridge. My Scottish ancestors would be shocked I know, but I like it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
This is all suggested by the Chinese tradition of combining salty or savoury things with rice porridge. My Scottish ancestors would be shocked I know, but I like it.

I am deeply intrigued. I've thought about olive oil in my oats (the olive oil always is within reach and line of sight), but I've never done it. Turmeric has made it in many times, as well as oregano, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and even kalamata olives.

I've never, ever even considered sardines, though, and i love sardines. I'm gonna have to get bold and give it a try.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Actually, it just hit me. I bet Scottish ancestors wouldn't be so freaked out. I would not at all be surprised if some kippers or smoked salmon wound up on top of oats from time to time. Maybe even oysters.

I want some smoked oysters on my oats! I can hardly wait for breakfast!

Tried the overnight soak of steel cut oats, 1/3c oats - 2/3c soy milk. Added raisins and pinch of cinnamon in the morning, maybe a bit soppier then i'd like and won't supplant my regular breakfast cereal but i did enjoy the taste and texture and will experiment with it further.

My wife did 1/3c oats - 1/3c cows milk for the overnight soak only adding raisins at breakfast and she was quite happy with the way it turned out, she will repeat.

All in all i good option for when the cereal box is empty.

dave

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Okay, so I'm eating this:

$Oatmeal Anchovy.jpg

I suppose I could have taken a worse photo, but I'd have to try. In any case, that's steel cut oats topped with anchovy fillets and finished with a few dashes of Tabasco and a sprinkle of my salt/cumin/smoked paprika/garlic powder stuff that I put on home fried corn chips (we made some last night and had it left over.

I feel like Barney Gumble having his first beer. I'm ruined!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLjvY5CrjQ

Wow, that's some fusion oat cuisine!

Did you like it?

Edit. Never mind, I googled Barney Gumble. I guess it was pretty tasty.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I loved it! Next time I go to the store, I'm picking up smoked oysters and trying those out. I thought I had some in the pantry, but they were the anchovy fillets that I ended up using.

I'm jonesing, man.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Well, this morning, I went and did it. I dumped a can of smoked oysters on today's steel cut oats. Since we're talking oysters, I thought I'd add a bit of horseradish, a few grinds of black pepper, and several dashes of Tabasco. The verdict is . . . it was odd.

However, what made it odd is that everything went together so well. These foods were made to be together in a bowl. It was like beans and rice! Incredible! The nuttiness and mild sweetness of the oats paired perfectly. Then, the little bit of horseradish and Tabasco went well with the smoked oysters, which was no surprise, but they also did not at all clash with the oats.

I'm totally getting into this savory oatmeal thing.

Well, this morning, I went and did it. I dumped a can of smoked oysters on today's steel cut oats. Since we're talking oysters, I thought I'd add a bit of horseradish, a few grinds of black pepper, and several dashes of Tabasco. The verdict is . . . it was odd.

However, what made it odd is that everything went together so well. These foods were made to be together in a bowl. It was like beans and rice! Incredible! The nuttiness and mild sweetness of the oats paired perfectly. Then, the little bit of horseradish and Tabasco went well with the smoked oysters, which was no surprise, but they also did not at all clash with the oats.

I'm totally getting into this savory oatmeal thing.

That sounds odd...I'm willing to try...but odd.

Top Bottom