What's new

Let's Talk Oats!

I love steel-cut oats. And Amazon today tossed over my transom a brand-new electric rice cooker. Hmmm. Does anyone have any experience - proportions, time, etc., - for cooking plain oats in a rice cooker?

Okay, this isn't as obscure as I might of thought. I did a simple search for "cooking oatmeal in a rice cooker" and came up with a bunch of hits on Google. I might be giving this a try!

1/3 cup steel cut oats
1 cup milk (almond,coconut any milk)
2 Tbs chia seeds
2 Tbs chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or whatever you want)
1/2 cup of any fresh or dried fruit you would want.
Put in any container with a lid and put in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
This will last at least 3 days in the refrigerator.
Besides the oats and liquid measurements you can change the rest of the recipe to your taste.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I eat oats all the time. The steel cut oats are creamy and delicious but take more effort. I'll freeze them in individual portions. The quick oats are nice too. I little salt, cinnamon and honey. Sometimes I'll mix in some vanilla whey protein.

Started eating oatmeal a while ago for the same reasons. Cholesterol. Everything actually was high.

I just eat the Quaker old fashion rolled oats. I heat a bowl of water for a minute in the microwave, add oats, a little brown sugar or raw sugar, sprinkle some cinnamon, and eat. No actual cooking.

I've been wanting to try steel cut, but I do it at work. I'm not making oatmeal at 5:00 in the morning. If I come and go as I please at work, so if I have time to cook steel cut oatmeal, I will go to work earlier and make a few $$ more in overtime.

As for my cholesterol, blood pressure, triglycerides, etc, I am a cyclist. That is what I believe to drop everything from high risk to normal levels for me. I haven't changed the diet much other than eating oatmeal often for breakfast, so I still eat chips, cookies, donuts (think someone is bringing donuts in tomorrow so, no oatmeal tomorrow, LOL), ice cream, and the rest. That's not good for the weight, but it's the cycling that keeps the heart ticking well. It is possible to be fat and fit or thin and not fit.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. One coworker of mine weighs 280 lb and can eat 3 pounds of bacon and get his cholesterol checked and it's on the low side. Another coworker of mine is 165 lb, goes to the gym 5 hours a day after work, and micro-manages everything he eats. I don't think he's eaten a single chip, cookie, carb, fat, or piece of candy for the last 2 years and his cholesterol is still very high.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I love(d) oatmeal until I read that they cause an increase in estrogen production. Not supposed to be good for men. Has anybody else heard or read the same thing? Any truth to it? I keep reading opposing viewpoints on this and don't know what to believe.

I love(d) oatmeal until I read that they cause an increase in estrogen production. Not supposed to be good for men. Has anybody else heard or read the same thing? Any truth to it? I keep reading opposing viewpoints on this and don't know what to believe.

$05072014quakermain-520x293.jpg

I read something somewhere about a maple apple oat bake. Sounded great. Probably wasn't the healthiest, but the thread was open! I thought i had it in the 'food' bookmarks folder, buuuuuut I can't find it, so this post is useless.

You guys have inspired me to try some new things on my overnight oats though! :D

I read something somewhere about a maple apple oat bake. Sounded great. Probably wasn't the healthiest, but the thread was open! I thought i had it in the 'food' bookmarks folder, buuuuuut I can't find it, so this post is useless.

You guys have inspired me to try some new things on my overnight oats though! :D

Hot enough for ya'?

1/3 cup steel cut oats
1 cup milk (almond,coconut any milk)
2 Tbs chia seeds
2 Tbs chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or whatever you want)
1/2 cup of any fresh or dried fruit you would want.
Put in any container with a lid and put in refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
This will last at least 3 days in the refrigerator.
Besides the oats and liquid measurements you can change the rest of the recipe to your taste.

You got me! My wife was intrigued as well.

Bought some steel cut oats this morning, now need another container of my soy milk in order to put it to he test.

dave

You got me! My wife was intrigued as well.

Bought some steel cut oats this morning, now need another container of my soy milk in order to put it to he test.

dave
I tried overnight oats once with steel cut oats. I will say that it may not turn out as good as the old fashion oats...but check it out.

Sent from the Danger Phone

I tried overnight oats once with steel cut oats. I will say that it may not turn out as good as the old fashion oats...but check it out.

Hi Don, Didn't you describe it as mortar-like? I'm hoping the extra liquid in this recipe (3:1) will result in something a little more palatable, no doubt will take a bit of experimentation.

dave

I have been spending 30 minutes cooking the oats for years. I just recently found that recipe and that's the only way I do them now. If you want them hot just put in the microwave for 2 minutes. I made up a batch today with dried apples and cinnamon.

Hi Don, Didn't you describe it as mortar-like? I'm hoping the extra liquid in this recipe (3:1) will result in something a little more palatable, no doubt will take a bit of experimentation.

dave
Any of the overnight recipes will take a little tinkering. I have had some that are really good and some nor so.

Every morning I have a bowl of Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats (extra thick). I usually sprinkle a spoonful of flax seed on it. I cut up a banana and put a few blueberries on top. Love it.$BRM-01952-5.jpg

We love steel cut oats every morning. However, we par boil them the night before to speed up the morning routine. Sometime between dinner and when we are ready to go to bed we do the following.

Boil 1 and 2/3 cups of water in a small to medium sauce pan.
When the water comes to a boil add a heaping 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and stir.
Cover with the pan's lid and set on a cold burner or trivet.
In the morning take the lid off and put the pan on a burner at medium heat.
After boils, stir occasionally, for a while turn down the heat and let it thicken up.
The process in the morning takes about 10 minutes.

We add flax seed meal and ground cinnamon to our oatmeal. Additionally, we will also add fresh, or thawed, blueberries and strawberries.

Enjoy.

Interesting I'll have to try some of these recipes out.
My oatmeal has always just been quaker old fashioned cooked in milk, pat of butter and maple syrup.
Your options are far healthier.

Top Bottom