What's new

Let's Talk Oats!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That sounds odd...I'm willing to try...but odd.

The true irony is that I preach enjoying the natural flavor of the oats, and then I go dumping anchovies and oysters into them. The oysters really just blended in, though. Even the texture was a wonderful pairing.

I love steel-cut oats. And Amazon today tossed over my transom a brand-new electric rice cooker. Hmmm. Does anyone have any experience - proportions, time, etc., - for cooking plain oats in a rice cooker?

Started reading this thread and as soon as I hit the first mention of a crock pot I immediately went here.

I love(d) oatmeal until I read that they cause an increase in estrogen production. Not supposed to be good for men. Has anybody else heard or read the same thing? Any truth to it? I keep reading opposing viewpoints on this and don't know what to believe.

I see it a lot in forums and sites, but not with any citation. A quick journal search doesn't come up with much of anything. Plant sources associated with this kind of thing contain phytoestrogens, which are not the same critter as your gyno- inducing estrogens. They don't aromatize in the same way AFAIK, but they do bind to estrogen receptor sites, which is a good thing as this can lower risks of cancers for both genders. It does present issues for premenopausal and menopausal women.

I usually see the estrogen increase associated with soy rather than other phytoestrogen sources. The concerns with soy are IMO overblown as well - numerous studies and meta-analyses have shown no risk associated with typical (even high) soy intake unless it was concomitant with other metabolic issues, including Type 1 diabetes.

Bottom line, unless you are a menopausal woman I wouldn't worry about it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Started reading this thread and as soon as I hit the first mention of a crock pot I immediately went here.

The Google says there are lots of folks that do it and methods for doing so, but I cannot vouch for any of them. If I had to guess, I would expect that a rice cooker left to do its thing without a timer likely would result in oats on the dryer side. If you like them that way, then it might be worth a try. :w00t:

I like mine on the looser side, so I've only made mine on the stove. If you're the same way, then you'd probably need to keep an eye on it until you figure out how you want to set a timer.

My wife and I eat oatmeal for breakfast daily

Here's the recipe:

2/3 cup rolled oats
1 1/8 to 1 1/4 cups of water
Salt optional

In the evening, heat the water in a small pan with a lid.
When the water comes to a full boil, add the oats
Remove from heat and cover the pan.
Let sit overnight.
Heat and serve in the morning.
Yield: About 2 cups. One for you, one for your Sweetie.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, Kroger's selection stinks. About the only thing they has was Quaker Oats and the Kroger brand. Yes, they had a decent assortment of types, but not brands.

Bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats and this time went 1:1 oats to soy milk for the over night soak, thought better of the texture and chew. Added raisins, cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Oats and soy milk, i may need to give my wife a heads up.

dave

Wow! This thread kind of took off and I never would have expected it! I have been out of pocket for reasons that were not my fault. I will start to have a little time again, but not much. Nice to see all the great ways to use oats...I will have to try some of them!

Started on the steel cut oats around Christmas time. I like mine as raw as I can get them. My routine:
Buy 50 lb bag of steel cut oats (groats)
Sunday morning bring water to a boil, add oats (3:1 water to oats)
turn heat down and stir occasionally for 20 minutes.
Serve with your preference of flavorings.

I make a very large pot and it is our breakfast for Sunday morning. I then portion it out into 5 tupperware containers, add cinnamon, homemade Strawberry jam and a pat of butter. Sometimes I will add a few chocolate chips. These containers go into the fridge and then taken to work. When I get hungry, I just stir, heat for 45 seconds, stir, heat for another 45 seconds. Breakfast for the week!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Wow! This thread kind of took off and I never would have expected it! I have been out of pocket for reasons that were not my fault. I will start to have a little time again, but not much. Nice to see all the great ways to use oats...I will have to try some of them!

We're keeping the thread alive for you, Don. Take care of yourself.

Well, Kroger's selection stinks. About the only thing they has was Quaker Oats and the Kroger brand. Yes, they had a decent assortment of types, but not brands.

I get cold rolled steal oats in the Vegetarian section. We have a super Kroger so I also buy them from the same bin the keep the peanuts and trail mix in. I get a huge bag for a buck and a quarter.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I get cold rolled steal oats in the Vegetarian section. We have a super Kroger so I also buy them from the same bin the keep the peanuts and trail mix in. I get a huge bag for a buck and a quarter.

I'll check it out. I have never perused the vegetarian section.

Last time I made oats, it took about an hour for all the milk to reduce down and cook the oats. Best damn oatmeal I've ever had, but the effort is a bit much especially since the amount I made was quite small.

Well after a few months of eating on the go in my travels to and fro I am ready to get back to eating better. The wife picked up another seven pound bag of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats..."The Golden Spurtle" Champion! I found a bunch of very interesting recipes, so I might even from time to time make some Oatmeal dishes again!

Top Bottom