What's new

Les Lat--just where do I get more...

I want at least a #8 bout. Long is best. Of course a #10 bout would be great. Fine and fast and can finish? That is it. Buying coticules is like buying a pig in a poke--never know what you are gonna get. To paraphrase Forrest Gump: "Life [coticules] is like a box of chocolates. Never know what you are gonna get"

Fine and fast and can finish?
I have two. One coarse and dry feeling, but quite fast. Not a finisher. I also have one smooth, fast and reasonably fine. I don't like to shave off the yellow side, but the hybrid side can make up for it if you put in the effort.
I think these two stones are quite representative for what you can expect from two ends of the spectrum.
A hard La Dressante and a fine La Veinette is a better option and/or combination for me.

If you don't like the hybrid side, or if you already have one of these stones, i would not look for a unicorn Les Lat.

I have a thin and small Les lat from Ardennes i would like to part with. However, i can not recommend anyone honing razor buying this particular stone. For me this is more a tool grade stone.

This is just my opinion based on only two stones.

I have a #5 bout of exactly what I want. I thought the coticule side was too grainy at first. I guess it was not finished properly. Honing a few razors on it smoothed it out, I guess--I'm blown away. I don't really care for the hybrid side. If I can get something in the range of a #8 to 10 of the same quality, my search will be over

I have a #5 bout of exactly what I want. I thought the coticule side was too grainy at first. I guess it was not finished properly. Honing a few razors on it smoothed it out, I guess--I'm blown away. I don't really care for the hybrid side. If I can get something in the range of a #8 to 10 of the same quality, my search will be over
Email AC and tell them what you're looking for, I bet they'll run one down for you.

One thing about the LL is can get very expensive. I’ve had one for a couple years and it’s pretty much a paper weight.

So the baker on ebay gets a lot of les lat looking stones... but the one I got from him Acts more like yellow coti despite looking like dusty hybrid... so keep that in mind. His rocks are weird... but the set of five I got from him were all pretty decent... so I cant really say that he seems to be selling junk anymore (what I had assumed until I bought from him)... still be careful, but he does get a lot of hybrid-looking stuff.

So the baker on ebay gets a lot of les lat looking stones... but the one I got from him Acts more like yellow coti despite looking like dusty hybrid... so keep that in mind. His rocks are weird... but the set of five I got from him were all pretty decent... so I cant really say that he seems to be selling junk anymore (what I had assumed until I bought from him)... still be careful, but he does get a lot of hybrid-looking stuff.
I have baught two La Dressante and on Les Latneuses from him. They have all been excellent.
I am more skeptical about his jnat's. I don't know why.

One thing about the LL is can get very expensive. I’ve had one for a couple years and it’s pretty much a paper weight.
What do you like better?

I'm vacillating between that and my LV. I'm going to have to do a side-by-side shave with equal blades to decide which edge I like better. LV seems like that warm, comfortable, "I can't cut you" edge that just wipes whiskers away.

LL seems comfortable, but not like LV. Feels like you need to pay more attention with it, but still really good and maybe a little more efficient, and with both, you can get there quickly.

From snout to tail. Full Dilucot.

What do you like better?

I'm vacillating between that and my LV. I'm going to have to do a side-by-side shave with equal blades to decide which edge I like better. LV seems like that warm, comfortable, "I can't cut you" edge that just wipes whiskers away.

LL seems comfortable, but not like LV. Feels like you need to pay more attention with it, but still really good and maybe a little more efficient, and with both, you can get there quickly.

From snout to tail. Full Dilucot.

I like any number of coticules over the LL. The Veinette, LPB, almost any vintage coticule. Shoot, for the money I’d take a La Grise first. The LL can get the job done but the price of admission is a bit to high for what is is.

I have baught two La Dressante and on Les Latneuses from him. They have all been excellent.
I am more skeptical about his jnat's. I don't know why.
I have to agree. I have bought a bunch of coticules from him but no Jnats.

I like any number of coticules over the LL. The Veinette, LPB, almost any vintage coticule. Shoot, for the money I’d take a La Grise first. The LL can get the job done but the price of admission is a bit to high for what is is.
I do see your point. I think I should just slow my roll and hold my horses on this. Take stock of what I've got. I think what I already have is pretty good. A blade can only be so sharp and so comfortable, and I do have both at this point. Its just minute variations of degree of each at this point.

Reactions: Wid
Was it a recent purchase Rick? I think he has gone through stages. At some point he got in touch with Ardennes and was selling coticules from there but in the past he was selling some green weird stuff that he has been called out on on FB forums.

Was it a recent purchase Rick? I think he has gone through stages. At some point he got in touch with Ardennes and was selling coticules from there but in the past he was selling some green weird stuff that he has been called out on on FB forums.

It was one of the green ones Alex. It was enough for me to stay clear.

I have to agree. I have bought a bunch of coticules from him but no Jnats.
I bought 4 Coticules from him, all very good stones.
But there are many I wouldn’t buy.
The ones I bought I could easily and positively identify as from which layer it was; many of the other Cotis he has seem harder to identify and they could be good or not, a gamble.
His service was excellent though. My experience was a recent one, never seen any of his green stuff.

Always a gamble with naturals and Coticules, when they don’t have a vein or layer labelled they’re always a mystery, especially for razor honing. But I am very happy with mine.

Last edited:
I have 2 LL cotis, ( etsy vendor)
They both are excellent examples and slices of the layer
My two pieces. 5 inch and a 4 inch are amazing finishers
Seems like with other naturals lots variations as I lucked out as mine produces outstanding edges once i learned each slice
IMG_3194.jpeg

Top Bottom