What's new

Journey to find my razor preference

Finally got around to make it a bit more simple to share gear used for each shave. Dunno why it took me so long to do it, because it was literally 5 minutes of work with my spreadsheet.

Date: 2024-02-04
Razor: Gillette Rocket Flare Tip “S” (British)
Blade: ASTRA - Superior Platinum
Brush: DScosmetic 26mm Tuxedo
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Cosmo
Aftershave: Simpson Bay rum
Passes: 3
Rating: 8.75

Rating is a combination of shave comfort and quality

That's the shave for today. Fairly good shave if I may say so myself. Easy and comfortable shave, there was some tugging on the ATG pass but nothing alarming. Once again no nicks or weepers.
A very good DFS quality all around but I can't quite determine how close a shave it was, so it'll be interesting to see how much regrowth there will be in 24 hours.
I think I'll try a sharper blade in this razor while I continue to ponder the way forward.

An entire week without shaves, we can't have that can we?
But before we get to the shaving, let me share another of my razor purchases. After this one I only have two more to share, unless I buy more that is :001_cool:

full

full

full

full

full

A Gillette Slim Twist, made in England, in very good condition with the original case.
I can't remember, but am fairly sure I got this as a freebie when I bought one of the other razors. Just like the Super Slim Twist I did not really have high expectations of this razor. It felt unbalanced and the plastic handle made it feel more like a toy rather than a tool.

But as with the Super Slim Twist, the razor shut me up and made me re-evaluate my opinion, so without further ado, today's shave:
Date: 2024-02-11
Razor: Gillette Slim Twist
Rating: 8.075

Fantastic was the first word that came to mind after shaving with this razor. It wasn't the most comfortable shave but I attribute that more to the fact that I had a weeks worth of stubble, but the razor handled it gallantly. I actually don't think I've ever had this good of a shave with this much stubble, not even with sharper blades.
In terms of quality it was as near BBS as you can get without it actually being BBS and I only got one nick which appeared at the end of the ATG pass.
Speaking of ATG, this razor & blade combo felt like the easiest to use for ATG on the upper lip.

So, what about the razor then?
Well, the experience speaks of itself and the balance of it was not really an issue. The handle was a perfect length for having the tail end rest at the edge of the palm while gripping the tapering part at the top with the thumb and index finger.
The handle did get a little bit slippery when it got wet and had some minor soapy residue on it.
Once again my preconceptions of a razor was completely wrong and I can't wait to use this razor more times to see if it keeps this up or not.

Ugh, so much for getting back to routinely shaving. :facep:
Have been swamped lately so it ended up being another week between shaves and then I forgot to update here when I finally got around to shaving. So without further ado:

Date: 2024-02-18
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia tuxedo knot
Rating: 8.25

Another great shave with this razor & blade combo. Easy, effortless and with good shave comfort and quality. If memory serves me right it was near BBS once again. I did get two nicks on this shave though.

Date: 2024-02-21
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Huskey
Aftershave: Arran Machrie
Rating: 7.85

As with the other two shaves with this razor & blade it was easy, effortless and comfortable and with good quality. This time around it was more like a decent DFS quality, but good nonetheless.
I did end up getting one weeper on the WTG pass, not sure how, but I guess my mind slipped for a brief second and that's what caused it.

After three shaves with this razor I have to say I really like it and I am surprised it keeps giving me such good shaves with a blade that I would not consider a super sharp blade, which I generally seem to need to get shaves this good.
I also really like that it is quite easy to use ATG on the upper lip, one area where I generally have mild discomfort shaving since I feel like all razors tug and get caught on the hairs. This razor does it as well, but it doesn't feel as strong and it doesn't come to a full stop like other razors tend to do.
I only really have one "bad" thing to say about it, or rather about this razor & blade combo and that is that it doesn't seem to give a very long-lasting shave. Even after 8-12 hours I'm beginning to get stubble, so it doesn't shave as close as I would like, but all the other good qualities of this razor more than makes up for it.

I should use this razor with a new blade next, but there is something else in the works :whistling:

Okay, time for a short story...

I've been chasing a certain razor for a while, or brand rather, and it comes up for sale fairly frequently here in Sweden but there's always a couple of eBay resellers that end up bidding more than I'd like to pay.
There's also this local auction house that have an auction once a month and every once in a while there is some razor related stuff there, usually thrown into a lot with various junk. Most of the time it's just a single razor and usually a straight razor, but every once in a blue moon there is something interesting. I'm still kicking myself for not winning an auction at the beginning of the year, but that's a story for another time.
Anyway, this local auction had the monthly auction on monday and there was actually an auction lot with just shaving stuff. It looked like mostly straight razors, various tins and knick knacks. But I did spy the case of this razor brand I've been chasing, so I threw in a bid and hoped for the best, I didn't even know if the case was empty or not.

Auction ended and I had the winning bid, so I went and picked up my winnings. When I got home I inspected my haul, about 10 tins for shaving sticks, an old brush, about 8 straight razors and of course that razor case I had spied. Unfortunately it was empty :facep:
But! There was another case, which I thought was just another shaving stick case. I opened it up and... well, an image says more than a 1000 words and I've already wasted too much of your time :)

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

The case is a Swing travel (?) case with a near mint Swing razor and what looks like an unused shaving stick and alun stick.
There is another compartment in the case that's empty and I'm guessing it contained some kind of aftershave or lotion to complete the kit. There's also 4 unused blades in the blade tuck.
This was totally unexpected but a true score and if you haven't guess it yet, it was a Swing razor I'd been trying to get a hold of.

Today I loaded it up with a blade and I'm not sure how evident it is from the images but there is a massive blade gape and a fair bit of blade exposure:
full

full

How did it perform then? Stats first:
Date: 2024-02-23
Razor: Swing
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Morado
Rating: 6.75

The first pass was WTG and it was smooth sailing, very comfortable and easy to use. Didn't really get any blade feel or notice the blade gap & exposure.
Second pass was XTG and it went smooth until I got to the upper lip where there was a lot of blade feel all of a sudden.
Final pass was ATG and the razor felt dangerous now, very very very strong blade feel and I probably messed up the angles a bit because I got quite a few nicks on this pass. I'm really glad I decide to use the Astra blade and not a Feather, that could have ended in disaster.
In terms of quality it's not quite DFS and I might have gotten too careful during the final pass and that's why the quality suffered.

First impression of the razor was great but it ended with trepidation so I'm not sure what to think of it yet. It definitely shaves different from the old Gillettes I've been using.
One thing that I already know is not good is the handle of this razor. Since it's smooth plastic (bakelite?) it gets slippery when wet and if you get soap on it you basically have to wipe it down to be able to have any control over it.

More shaves are needed but I still have hope for this razor.

Okay, time for a short story...

I've been chasing a certain razor for a while, or brand rather, and it comes up for sale fairly frequently here in Sweden but there's always a couple of eBay resellers that end up bidding more than I'd like to pay.
There's also this local auction house that have an auction once a month and every once in a while there is some razor related stuff there, usually thrown into a lot with various junk. Most of the time it's just a single razor and usually a straight razor, but every once in a blue moon there is something interesting. I'm still kicking myself for not winning an auction at the beginning of the year, but that's a story for another time.
Anyway, this local auction had the monthly auction on monday and there was actually an auction lot with just shaving stuff. It looked like mostly straight razors, various tins and knick knacks. But I did spy the case of this razor brand I've been chasing, so I threw in a bid and hoped for the best, I didn't even know if the case was empty or not.

Auction ended and I had the winning bid, so I went and picked up my winnings. When I got home I inspected my haul, about 10 tins for shaving sticks, an old brush, about 8 straight razors and of course that razor case I had spied. Unfortunately it was empty :facep:
But! There was another case, which I thought was just another shaving stick case. I opened it up and... well, an image says more than a 1000 words and I've already wasted too much of your time :)

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

The case is a Swing travel (?) case with a near mint Swing razor and what looks like an unused shaving stick and alun stick.
There is another compartment in the case that's empty and I'm guessing it contained some kind of aftershave or lotion to complete the kit. There's also 4 unused blades in the blade tuck.
This was totally unexpected but a true score and if you haven't guess it yet, it was a Swing razor I'd been trying to get a hold of.

Today I loaded it up with a blade and I'm not sure how evident it is from the images but there is a massive blade gape and a fair bit of blade exposure:
full

full

How did it perform then? Stats first:
Date: 2024-02-23
Rating: 6.75

The first pass was WTG and it was smooth sailing, very comfortable and easy to use. Didn't really get any blade feel or notice the blade gap & exposure.
Second pass was XTG and it went smooth until I got to the upper lip where there was a lot of blade feel all of a sudden.
Final pass was ATG and the razor felt dangerous now, very very very strong blade feel and I probably messed up the angles a bit because I got quite a few nicks on this pass. I'm really glad I decide to use the Astra blade and not a Feather, that could have ended in disaster.
In terms of quality it's not quite DFS and I might have gotten too careful during the final pass and that's why the quality suffered.

First impression of the razor was great but it ended with trepidation so I'm not sure what to think of it yet. It definitely shaves different from the old Gillettes I've been using.
One thing that I already know is not good is the handle of this razor. Since it's smooth plastic (bakelite?) it gets slippery when wet and if you get soap on it you basically have to wipe it down to be able to have any control over it.

More shaves are needed but I still have hope for this razor.
That is a great score there! Such a cool travel case and a razor in perfect condition. At some point I do want to get a Swing razor, but @Guido75 sings the praises of his. If I understand him right they are quite efficient for him. As you found out quite the blade exposure and caution while using it. I bet if you used it for a while you would get fantastic shaves with it.

That’s correct.

Fixed it for you. The Swing is a mighty sword to use on your stubble. It commands attention or else. Blade gap is about .95-1.00mm with positive blade exposure. I need to use it more often though - too many excellent razors.
Fun (and of course geeky) piece of information is that bakelite from a physical standpoint is considered one single molecule. For some reason I remember that from high school.

That is a great score there! Such a cool travel case and a razor in perfect condition. At some point I do want to get a Swing razor, but @Guido75 sings the praises of his. If I understand him right they are quite efficient for him. As you found out quite the blade exposure and caution while using it. I bet if you used it for a while you would get fantastic shaves with it.
There's a few different models Swing razors and this one is the most common. Hopefully you can find one to add to your swedish razor collection. :)

That’s correct.

Fixed it for you. The Swing is a mighty sword to use on your stubble. It commands attention or else. Blade gap is about .95-1.00mm with positive blade exposure. I need to use it more often though - too many excellent razors.
Thanks for confirming the bakelite.
I can definitely see why it commands attention, it has been a very unforgiving razor thus far.

Please heal quickly, @Ohjay

Will continue writing in your journal now that your search is over?
Thank you.
And yes, the journal will most definitely remain. The Swing was just a razor I had been targetting, I am still far away from figuring out what my razor preference is and what I want to use as my main shaver. The quest goes on! :straight:

I use the Razorock Barberpole handle with mine. Not only looks amazing, but provides the grip I want. The Razorock Bulldog handle is also a safe bet.
Thanks for the tips, I might have to go this route if I'm going to use this razor a lot. It kinda gets annoying to have to wipe down the handle every few minutes.

Date: 2024-02-25
Brush: DScosmetic 24mm Coffee G7
Rating: 7.175

Faired a little bit better today, but not much. There was a bit more blade feel on the WTG pass this time around and very strong blade feel on XTG & ATG. It also seems like this razor is very picky about the angle and to me it seems like it requires quite a different angle from the other razors I've tried. More practice is definitely needed and a handful of shaves will not be enough to learn this one I think.
Anyway, quality was better this time around and I got very close to DFS, but shave comfort is still lacking which affects the rating.
Also, I did end up with a couple of nicks and one weeper.

Date: 2024-02-29
Passes: 2
Rating: 7.875

Ended up going a few extra days between shaves this time around. Wasn't planned but perhap it worked out for the better.
I had a much more pleasant shave with the Swing today and it felt quite comfortable for the two passes I ended up doing. Don't know it it was the slightly longer stubble or that I managed to handle the angles better. Perhaps a bit of both.
Anyway, it was a comfortable shave with no nicks or weepers, but since it was only two passes the quality suffered a bit and I'd say it was somewhere between CCS and DFS, probably more towards CCS than DFS.

After three shaves with the Swing I'm not sure what I think of it, but I do know I want to use it more, but I will wait a bit before using it again. I feel like I need to get more experience with more challenging razors but that aren't quite as challenging as this one, before I try it again.
This is also a razor I don't think I would be comfortable using with an unknown blade, so I also need to familiarize myself more with other blades before using them in this razor.

I think it's time to share a new razor.
This is one I bought a while back, mostly because I had not seen one of this origin before. Pictures first:
full

full

full

full

full

As can be seen in the images, this is a Gillette Super-speed Flaretip that was made in Mexico. I have seen Gillettes from England, Germany, Argentina, USA and probably a couple other countries, but never one from Mexico which I find a bit odd, I would have expected to see a fair few for sale in the US, but maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.
If the date codes match the USA ones then I think this one is from 1964 and it is very, very clean. It shows minor signs of use but otherwise immaculate.
It weighs 57g and is about 83.5mm in length.

Managed to catch a fairly bad cold last week, so ended up on another shaving hiatus. Feeling much better now though and while pondering which razor to use I felt an inkling to use the Gillette NEW LC again since I hadn't used it since those first three shaves a few months ago.

Date: 2024-03-06
Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Rating: 6.875

I can't really remember the details of the last time I used this razor, but do remember I had some issues with it.
Overall I think this was quite a good shave and the rating suffer a bit due to the comfort during the shave.
Speaking of the comfort, there was a distinct blade feel and it kind of felt like I could feel every single strand of hair being cut, so the WTG pass wasn't that comfortable. I also struggled heavily to find the correct angle on the ATG pass on the upper lip and ended up just skipping that part of my face. It either didn't cut at all or got snagged on the tiny bits of hair that remained.
But despite the comfort issues it delivered a very good quality shave, not quite DFS but very close.

Just as with the Swing, I need more practice with this razor. After having used several different ones now, I can say that this one requires slightly different angles that doesn't come naturally yet. But practice makes perfect.

I also think it's time to share another razor, this is #18 of all the ones I've purchased and this is another one that was part of the very first batch I bought:
full

full

full

full

As you can see, it's a Gillette Black handle Super-speed with date code O2 which should be 1970 if I'm not mistaken.
I threw this one in with my other purchases from the same seller, mostly because I could get it dirt cheap and not really because it was a razor I wanted to try.
It will be interesting to try it though and compare to the other Super-speed razors I have.

Speaking of purchases, apart from the Swing that I shared a while back I haven't really done any razor related purchases. There has been interesting stuff for sale, but I have a slightly severe "collector" case where I want to buy/own all variants of, well, everything.
Slight exaggeration maybe, but not by much. I can handle it and restrain myself nowadays. It was worse about a decade ago when I was collecting guitars. I think I bought between 2 and 4 each month, not only to collect but to restore and resell with minor profit. At one point I think I had north of 40 guitars in my tiny studio apartment.

Anyway, I digress. I have done a few razor related purchases in the past two weeks which include two razors I have yet to share, but that will have to wait a bit.
Another thing I've bought is some old vintage swedish razor blades. I do not even know why I've bought them because I have no inclination to use them. Probably that collector in me that accidentally got control of me... :out:
full

full

One reason I don't think I want to use them is that I might end up really, really liking one of them and finding a long-lasting supply would be really, really hard.
But we'll see, I've been known to change my mind. Trying one might not hurt, or will it? :a13:

Managed to catch a fairly bad cold last week, so ended up on another shaving hiatus. Feeling much better now though and while pondering which razor to use I felt an inkling to use the Gillette NEW LC again since I hadn't used it since those first three shaves a few months ago.

Date: 2024-03-06
Rating: 6.875

I can't really remember the details of the last time I used this razor, but do remember I had some issues with it.
Overall I think this was quite a good shave and the rating suffer a bit due to the comfort during the shave.
Speaking of the comfort, there was a distinct blade feel and it kind of felt like I could feel every single strand of hair being cut, so the WTG pass wasn't that comfortable. I also struggled heavily to find the correct angle on the ATG pass on the upper lip and ended up just skipping that part of my face. It either didn't cut at all or got snagged on the tiny bits of hair that remained.
But despite the comfort issues it delivered a very good quality shave, not quite DFS but very close.

Just as with the Swing, I need more practice with this razor. After having used several different ones now, I can say that this one requires slightly different angles that doesn't come naturally yet. But practice makes perfect.

I also think it's time to share another razor, this is #18 of all the ones I've purchased and this is another one that was part of the very first batch I bought:
full

full

full

full

As you can see, it's a Gillette Black handle Super-speed with date code O2 which should be 1970 if I'm not mistaken.
I threw this one in with my other purchases from the same seller, mostly because I could get it dirt cheap and not really because it was a razor I wanted to try.
It will be interesting to try it though and compare to the other Super-speed razors I have.

Speaking of purchases, apart from the Swing that I shared a while back I haven't really done any razor related purchases. There has been interesting stuff for sale, but I have a slightly severe "collector" case where I want to buy/own all variants of, well, everything.
Slight exaggeration maybe, but not by much. I can handle it and restrain myself nowadays. It was worse about a decade ago when I was collecting guitars. I think I bought between 2 and 4 each month, not only to collect but to restore and resell with minor profit. At one point I think I had north of 40 guitars in my tiny studio apartment.

Anyway, I digress. I have done a few razor related purchases in the past two weeks which include two razors I have yet to share, but that will have to wait a bit.
Another thing I've bought is some old vintage swedish razor blades. I do not even know why I've bought them because I have no inclination to use them. Probably that collector in me that accidentally got control of me... :out:
full

full

One reason I don't think I want to use them is that I might end up really, really liking one of them and finding a long-lasting supply would be really, really hard.
But we'll see, I've been known to change my mind. Trying one might not hurt, or will it? :a13:
Those are some cool blades! I know that many many many blades were made in Sweden back in the days. I would try at least a few and see. They will be carbon steel oh I take that back the Aeterna is stainless. I was going to say that you may want to at least dry them off between each shave so they do not rust. You got like a whole 100-pack of each! that is so cool.

Those are some cool blades! I know that many many many blades were made in Sweden back in the days. I would try at least a few and see. They will be carbon steel oh I take that back the Aeterna is stainless. I was going to say that you may want to at least dry them off between each shave so they do not rust. You got like a whole 100-pack of each! that is so cool.
Yeah there seems to have been production in Eskilstuna and Sandviken, and probably a few other places. I've noticed that some are very similar in packaging etc. For example National and Matador are very similar, so they were probably produced at the same place and just branded differently.
Indeed, the Aeterna is stainless but the other do not mention the kind of metal so carbon steel seems quite plausible.
At some point I might try them, but not yet. I need to narrow down my razor preference before trying these blades I think.

Glad to read you are recovering from your cold. And what nice toys, too!
Thank you. Glad to hear you like the toys. More are coming :001_cool:

Date: 2024-03-10
Rating: 7.9

Used the New LC again today and faired much better. The shave comfort was generally better and I felt like I had figured out the angle with this razor, until I came to the ATG pass where I struggled again. I could do a very, very light ATG pass on the upper lip but still not nearly as good as I've done with other razors.
Quality was also better and was generally BBS apart from the upper lip and a few spots on the neck which was a very good DFS.

But there is something with this razor... I really want to like it but I just don't enjoy shaving with it. Can't put my finger on what or why though. I'll use it a bit more, but unless there is a drastic change down the road then I think this one will be put away and logged as a great shaver that just isn't for me.

Date: 2024-03-13
Passes: 2
Rating: 6.375

Didn't really feel like shaving and that notion of not enjoying shaving with the NEW LC appeared again, so opted for only two passes to avoid any potential mistakes on an ATG pass.
Guess it was an okay shave but not the most comfortable and due to only doing two passes the quality suffered as well. I'd say I ended up with a good CCS shave but I did also end up with two nicks.

It bugs me a little that I cannot pinpoint what it is with this razor that makes me feel like I don't enjoy using it.
I'm really hoping it's not the open comb but some other characteristic of it. One way to figure that out is to use more open comb razors :ihih:

Steep or shallow (cap) with the LC? I have found that the LC in a neutral angle can be a scraper at times. Specifically my Flat Bottom is. My regular LC is much smoother. I tend to use them steeper.

And I watch my prep more carefully lately making sure my lather is nicely hydrated so that the razor glides better. You may have already done that of course.

Cheers,

Guido

Steep or shallow (cap) with the LC? I have found that the LC in a neutral angle can be a scraper at times. Specifically my Flat Bottom is. My regular LC is much smoother. I tend to use them steeper.

And I watch my prep more carefully lately making sure my lather is nicely hydrated so that the razor glides better. You may have already done that of course.

Cheers,

Guido
I'd say shallow. For me it seemed that almost riding the cap worked best and I struggled a lot more with steep.
Thanks for the suggestions though. I'll be a bit more mindful about the prep the next time I use the LC.

Date:
2024-03-17
Razor: Schick Krona
Soap: Captain Fawcett Scapicchio's Fig
Rating: 7.7

Decided to try the Schick today. Can't even remember what my initial impressions of this razor were, guess I'll have to read my own Journey and see :laugh:
Fairly easy and effortless shave but there was some minor tugging during the WTG pass, probably partly due to the slightly longer stubble.
No nicks or weepers and quite good quality as well, I'd say DFS with sprinkles of BBS.
After the struggles with the past few razors this was a nice change of pace and even the ATG pass went smoothly. I do think this razor requires a different blade though.

Speaking of blades, do you guys ever check a new blade before start using it?
I noticed that this Astra blade had some sort of blemish near the edge of the blade and I was kind of worried the edge was damaged but didn't really notice a difference.
But it got me thinking, could there be damaged blades and would it be prudent to give them a once-over before using them?

Time to share another razor, one that I thought was going to be the last one I would share for quite a while, but in the past week or two I've bought three new razors. So the sharing will continue. :001_cool:
full

full

full

If I'm not mistaken, this is a Gillette Rocket HD500.
I remember buying this after the first few shaves with the Rocket flare tip and figured I wanted to try a different Rocket.
This one is not in so great condition. Some pitting and maybe some damage to the guards. The biggest thing though are the doors which almost comes off when I open it and if I don't reposition them they won't close. I should probably try to fix it before using it, but we'll see.

Top Bottom