What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
And I was just ribbing Bruce...NY ban wouldn't surprise me.

Just google "plastic knife ban in UK"....

Amazing, just amazing.

Bruce, I looked up your slingshots and they look good.

Now you need to really torque the limits and make a double barreled one...do like Ellie May Clampett did when she got her first bra..."Oh boy, a double barreled slingshot!" :001_smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0JsKW-Az1A

[MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION] I've already started looking and researching my next one. Wouldn't you know it, sling shot guys are just as passionate about their stuff as razor and BBQ guys.

It's a whole other world, custom bands, shooting methods, materials, ammo and everything in between.

Huge rabbit hole.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Pretty soon you'll have a couple of $1,500 slingshots there Bruce. :lol:

I remember Dad cutting out the tongues of some old lace up work boots he was getting ready to throw away. We cut those up into pouches, and he helped me cut a forked branch, and we used a bicycle tire inner tube that I cut up for the bands.

I loved it.

I'm still wondering what to use to refurbish the deer antler and the commercially made wooden one. Surgical tubing for the bands maybe?

Legion

Staff member
@simon1 I've already started looking and researching my next one. Wouldn't you know it, sling shot guys are just as passionate about their stuff as razor and BBQ guys.

It's a whole other world, custom bands, shooting methods, materials, ammo and everything in between.

Huge rabbit hole.

My first foray into the world of online forums was a slingshot forum, long before B&B. Yep, it doesn't matter what the hobby, when more than one guy gets together and starts talking about it, the whole thing gets out of hand.

Hell, I started tying rubber to tree forks like I did when I was a little kid, and before I knew it I was buying shooting chronometers, and researching different latex manufacturing techniques.

If you're going to be traditional, you need to learn to use one of these:
proxy.php

You whippersnappers and your slings. Back in my day we used atlatls and they were plenty good enough for us.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Dang you Bruce!!!

I drug out my old Wham-O Sportsman slingshot. The flat bands and pouch are long gone. I picked up some Daisy replacement bands, the tube style, and figured I could squish them to go into the slots for the flat bands...didn't work. When I tied them around the forks it only had about six inches of pull length. Couldn't even get close to an anchor point like on my bow.

I wonder what I need to do to the wood on the old Wham-O to get it kinda back in shape. I've had that thing for ages. An nope, the black discoloration by the left side of the band slot is not deterioration...it's leather dye. That thing has sit in my box of holsters for years.

Thanks a lot Bruce....

Attachments

• $IMG_0001.jpg
    $IMG_0001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 103
Thanks a lot Bruce....

Any time :lol:. If it makes you feel any better, I bought 1000 x 1/4" steel ammo and 500 x 3/8" steel ammo from Amazon today. They will be smaller then marbles, but cheaper and more consistent size/weight.

Sorry I can't help with your slingshot, I'm still clueless. I'm still using tubular bands but want to get a flag band soon. The Scout Gen 2 is likely going to be my next purchase.

At ten I got into the real slingshots like David & Goliath. It's surprising how accurate they can be with practice.
If I keep at this, which I hope to, I'm sure I'll end up using one of those too. As it stands, I don't have to leave the premises to shoot any more. I pulled this old box out of my shop and rigged it up to catch the marbles. We will still venture into the woods, but when time is limited and it gets dark early, we can shoot out back now.

proxy.php

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks like a good target area Bruce...but I'd need a bigger wooden box...a much bigger box. Good size to get your kids to focus though.

When I picked up the tube type replacement bands today I also looked in the exercise equipment section for some Therabands...the black ones. They didn't have anything. Also thought about going to the toy section and look for marbles, but I probably should go the the dollar store thing for those.

I'll get you for this Bruce. :lol:

Legion

Staff member
You get more velocity, and lower pull weight, using two thinner flat bands on each side instead of one thicker one. You can also improve the performance by tapering the bands slightly.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
SWMBO got me this $5 Saturday Night Special at wallyworld today. I can't get it even close to the anchor point on my cheek like a bow though. Guess it's geared towards kids...or the tube bands may stretch after awhile. I shot one rock out of it at an oak tree at about 10 yards. It flew straight but the trajectory drop was....

It's cold, damp, and about 30 mph winds out today so I didn't stay out long.

I may get on one of the vendor's sections on a slingshot forum and see what kind of flat bands I can get for my old Wham-O for the proper draw length, and see what I can do to recondition the wood besides slapping some Old English on it.

I'll get you for this Bruce.

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 85
At this stage Mike(@simon1), you know you are going to end up shooting. If it was me (you get free shipping), I'd order a Scout 2 and order some extra bands for your wood one. That is most likely what I'll end up based on my research and many peoples recommendations. It shoots OOT (over the top) and TTF (through the forks)....not that I know the benefit of either. But it does have a quick band change system, as many of the good ones do.

With my Trumark, similar to yours, I installed a red Trumark power band and it seems to work fine. I have no benchmark to know if it is truly good or not, but it seems accurate and fast. In the end, I'm happy to have it as it got me outside and shooting.

This is payback for all the cast iron, smokers and BBQ items that I've bought....I blame you :lol: not that I'm complaining or any of my family is when I am grilling or Smoking.

http://simple-shot.com/slingshots/the-scout-slingshot

Apparently, Nathan is a good vendor to deal with and will happily answer all your questions. I'll be picking his brain when the time comes to upgrade. I'm just waiting for the weather to warm and/or maybe a sale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom