What's new

Is there any hope for my Pilot 1911 Sailor Demonstrator?

I have a Pilot 1911 Sailor Demonstrator whose extra fine 14K nib has gotten totally buggered. Is there any way/place where I can purchase just a replacement nib or nib-feeder combination from Pilot (without purchasing a whole new pen) or another company/supplier of Pilot parts?

Tim

My understanding is that Pilot does not sell replacement nibs. There are nib meisters who might be able to fix the nib depending on how messed up it is. If the tipping is gone, though, buy another pen

That is the answer I was afraid of. I have a colleague that is really a serious collector of fountain pens. He also has done some work on refurbishing nibs. I will ask if there is any hope for this one.

If not, I definitely will not be purchasing another Pilot! I have no interest in supporting a company that does not provide relatively inexpensive parts replacement for such an expensive fountain pen.

Tim

It was tough to get good photos but I hope these will show the condition of the nib.

Tim
IMG_8825.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8826.jpg
    IMG_8826.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8827.jpg
    IMG_8827.jpg
    618.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8829.jpg
    IMG_8829.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 32
Shots from front or side on would be more helpful.

What is the issue? From those images, the shoulder looks dinged, otherwise I don't see any damage that couldn't be fixed easily.

The nib hit the desktop and appears bent out of shape. I tried using the pen afterward and the flow of ink is not even and the contact with the paper is very scratchy. The nib does not travel across the paper smoothly. At times it literally looks and feels like the nib will tear through the surface of the paper.

Attachments

• IMG_8831.jpg
    IMG_8831.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8834.jpg
    IMG_8834.jpg
    513.7 KB · Views: 18
The tines will be misaligned. Should only takes a couple of minutes to fix. You could try yourself, or send it off to a repairer.

If you are looking straight on at the nib, the tines should be level with each other; UU

For one thing, this is not a PILOT, it is a SAILOR pen and they are two different companies with two different philosophies. The soft 14K gold nib (marked on the nib) is bent. This is easy to do and common on dropped pens. You can get Sailor nibs and the old one will simply pull out. You can get a video on YT on how to do this.

There are a number of places where nib work can be done, but you should be able to get a new SAILOR nib from the shop where you purchased the pen. People damaging nibs is an all too common occurrence.

I spoke to my local SAILOR dealer. He sells nibs. They are about $110 USD, doing the conversion. He did say it might be best to have your nib worked on or to buy a new pen. I think getting it worked on is best, then, if that doesn't work, to buy a new nib.

Top Bottom