What's new

Hanging a cuckoo clock

Hi, I have the clock shown below and have questions on how to hang it.
The wall I want to hang it on does not have a stud in the correct spot to put the screw in. I
was thinking to use a toggle bolt just not sure you can angle them when putting them in.
Also keep in mind that the wall has an inch of drywall
give or take. I have not yet drilled a test hole at the baseboard to
check. This clock is a family heirloom and I’m won’t be the one to ruin it by not hanging it securely.
Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

20230409_160402.jpeg

Clock weighs with weights at least 20 lbs. Molly bolt from my limited knowledge goes in straight and I need an slight angle upward

I'd use a toggle bolt. I'd use an extra long bolt and bend it at the angle needed with a vise and hammer. I'd put a nut and washer on the outside to lock the bolt in the indexed position.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The issue I think is you need the head of the toggle bolt to stick out from the wall. You would need to use nuts and washers to accomplish that, and I don’t know if doing that compromises the integrity of the holding power of said toggle bolt.

I think if it were me, and I had to hang that up with a 100% peace of mind, I would fabricate a wood panel, and mount that to the wall with heavy duty toggles in each corner counter sunk, then drive a screw into that panel at whatever angle you need. Depending on how the clock sits against the wall you could make it slightly larger, or exactly the same size as the back of the clock.

I don’t know if aesthetically that would be an option for you though.

If it needs more beef, you could always use a mounting plate held up by more than one fastener. Just make the plate small enough to be hidden by the back of the clock. You would put the clock hanging stud on the plate.

I think the best type drywall anchors for a heavy load are those flip toggles, the ones that provide a wider surface area behind the drywall to disperse the load as compared to a plastic anchor or expanding screw. IMO that should be a relatively safe way to hang 20 pounds assuming it is not in the pathway of people walking by and potentially giving it a hard knock. If that mounting fails it should be somewhat controlled, meaning the drywall will start to crack and crumble from the weight and not suddenly develop a 1.5-2" hole for the toggle bolt to come flying out and drop its load. (Assuming that it is not getting whacked by someone or something). In any case I would try to find some anchors that claimed to support at least 2x or 4x what the clock weighs.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I would change the location so you have a stud to screw into. Better safe than sorry, this one is a very nice old one, would be a shame if it fell off the wall.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Hi, I have the clock shown below and have questions on how to hang it.
The wall I want to hang it on does not have a stud in the correct spot to put the screw in. I
was thinking to use a toggle bolt just not sure you can angle them when putting them in.
Also keep in mind that the wall has an inch of drywall
give or take. I have not yet drilled a test hole at the baseboard to
check. This clock is a family heirloom and I’m won’t be the one to ruin it by not hanging it securely.
Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

View attachment 1744673

People think drywall is not all that strong, especially when you walk up and punch a hole in it. And many engineers give drywall near zero structural value in a load analysis. That is because it is relatively weak against tension loads.

But drywall (aka gypsum board) is stronger than you think, especially when talking about shearing loads. And that's exactly what you have here.

Standard 1/2" drywall (not the lightweight grade) on a wall installation should be able to handle a 20 lb. shear load just fine.

Attaching to a double layer of intact drywall (1") such as you have is not even worth worrying about.

The key condition is intact. If it is near other patched drywall penetrations, then the structural integrity of the panel(s) may be weaker there.

The other factor on a wall installation is not to present a leveraged load (such as a deep shelf mount extending far from the wall), which compounds the forces, and applies a greater tension load.

Your clock does not extend very far from the wall, and also rests against the wall at its base, moderating any tension load.

These are all the same reasons why good drywall hanging practice is that ceiling panels should be "glued and screwed", and why wall panels are fine with drywall screws alone. Different types of loads are involved.

Were this a ceiling-mounted load, it might be a very different story. But on a wall installation presenting mainly a shearing load, no problem.

A toggle bolt as you suggest, or a molly bolt, or the newer style toggle screw-in toggle sets, should be more than strong enough here. A traditional toggle bolt is one and done, and is usually lost once you remove the screw. The latter types are generally reusable, and there are some tricks to remove them, too. These are all-metal fasteners, and the load ratings go up to 75 pounds on them.

Just avoid the plastic expansion plugs that are sold with smoke detectors, etc. Those can pull right out, even though they are often used in ceiling installations.

Provided it can handle your extra thick drywall, I would put a flip toggle screw fastener into it, or an old toggle bolt, and not lose a minute's sleep.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
If you're really concerned, try the anchor you want to use, and hang a 25lb dumbbell from it and see if everything is kosher.

Sounds like a solid idea. Maybe something like this.

1699395850667.png

.....or if you really must have it in that spot and you trust nothing but wood.
Cut a large enough piece of the wall out to allow you to work, insert a a dwang / nogging (no idea what you would call it) between the two studs. Fit the dry wall piece you removed back in as a patch, plaster and paint. Then you should be able to hang the clock to wood and sleep at night.
Now that's an extreme way of doing it but it's a will hold it for years to come.

Me, I would go with something like a toggle bolt with a hook. Just get one with a weight of more than you need.

Lots of ideas here that might work. Didn’t think to hang a weight off whatever I use to check.
With work and other matters that need attention this won’t happen till at least 2 weeks from now but really appreciate all the responses. Thank you!
Its a wonderful clock, a one day movement with a quail and cuckoo. It chimes every quarter hour and and the hour. Just want it done right so as @Columbo said I won’t loose any sleep.

If it agrees with your home decor style and sensibilities another approach could be to go "old school" and install a picture rail along this wall and hang down from that.

That is probably overkill for your project, but on this note, I have wondered why home builders don't add blocking at some standard height off the floor (maybe around 5-1/2 feet??) in the living/family/den of houses they are building. It would not take much time or materials and provide the functionality of a picture rail but one hidden from view behind the drywall.

I sometimes watch "The Funny Carpenter" channel on youtube, and today he posted a new video on this topic. The video is short enough that I won't post the spoiler, but he highlights an easy-to-use toggle bolt that is capable of supporting a lot of weight.

Top Bottom