What's new

This Thread Depresses the Heck Out of Me

duke762

Rose to the occasion
My house cannot be improved....it is beyond repair. It's too big, too old, too termite damaged, too crudely built and generally...... too far gone.

I'm too old, too over worked, too physically broken down and too poor to do a dang thing about it and would need a professional consultant to even know where to start.

So I'm out front doing yard work one morning in the late 80's, before my night shift and a older gentleman approaches me with pictures of his father building my house in 1910 and pictures of him building the front porch in the 30's. The gentleman told me he was born in my front room in 1933. A yellow rose bush can be seen in the pictures of the front yard. It's still there. There were 13 kids in his family, housed in a 1900 sq. ft. 3 maybe 4 bedroom house. It's basically an old farm house. Jesus...

A few details are in order. The main beam of the house does not support any walls of the first or second story. Instead it lies about 6 feet form the load bearing spot where it needs to be. This beam lies almost in the middle of the dining room floor. Floor joist spacing is random.......14-18". I found 1938 newspapers stuffed around the door frames when I had them replaced. The stairway to the basement and second story are on top of each other and a series of 10, 2 x 4's, are responsible for holding up the East end of the house, not the main beam. The 10, 2x4's were set in to the dirt in the basement before any concrete was poured. Termites ate heck out of them resulting in about a 3" dip in the center of the house. Funny how the inspector overlooked the termite damage when I bought the darn thing.

That's just the beginning of the troubles. The furnace will not heat the whole house effectively, no central air and I'm too broke down to muscle window units anymore. Wiring won't support more the one AC unit on second floor. Knob and tube wiring. Concrete block construction on the first floor. 2nd floor is wood framed, lathe and plaster. The plaster is old school. A scratch coat of a material similar to concrete, complete with pig bristles in it, covered by a thin coat of plaster. No insulation on the concrete block walls. It sometimes gets down to 48 degrees F in the master bed room. Dirtiest dang house I've ever seen, wipe a surface off and a few hours later, the same spot is filthy.

Not enough light in the house, natural or other. Not enough closets, no storage, no flow to the house, antiquated kitchen, bad sketchy plumbing, poor electrical, no rain gutters, poor drainage, yard is higher than side walks. I can identify 22 varieties of weeds in my yard. the garage is unusable and an eyesore, the houses 2nd story has cedar shakes with peeling paint. Weird, steep small, steps to the second story. Technically story and a half. Interior walls have pulled away from the exterior walls 2-3", fire place chimney is in danger of collapsing, it has pulled away form the house 2". It's putting stress on a second story window as it collapses destroying it as it goes. Ancient wood frame double hung windows with wavy glass so if you look out at something, it's all distorted. So really I use about 900 sq. ft. of this 1900 sq. ft., albatross, the excess sq.ft. is like a yoke around my neck... I feel I'm too old to move and the real estate market is crazy now any way.

This houses problems have basically ruined my marriage and my life for 38 years...

A couple good things about my house....New roof, it's 15 minutes from darn near everything around here, a big church across the street which provides quite a bit of privacy. A fragrant yard in the spring. Starting with Clove bush then Lilac and Lily of the valley and finishing up with 90 year old wild yellow roses around June that smell up my whole yard. Being concrete block on the first floor makes it fairly resistant to stray bullets. You just never know anymore.

I use my dining room as a living room. It has 4 single doors and a set of french doors. This only allows furniture to be arranged one way and is cramped. Funny thing is, many times the wife and I will be watching TV in this room and get up to look out the window, to check the weather and find that it's storming really hard and we had no idea. What a sturdy, cave like, central room.

Best thing about this house is my long suffering, beloved wife lives here with me and the 3 cats that own us. I grew up in an old farm house so it feels a lot like home, thanks to my wife's labors. We really, really want to downsize and move.

My house cannot be improved....it is beyond repair. It's too big, too old, too termite damaged, too crudely built and generally...... too far gone.

I'm too old, too over worked, too physically broken down and too poor to do a dang thing about it and would need a professional consultant to even know where to start.

So I'm out front doing yard work one morning in the late 80's, before my night shift and a older gentleman approaches me with pictures of his father building my house in 1910 and pictures of him building the front porch in the 30's. The gentleman told me he was born in my front room in 1933. A yellow rose bush can be seen in the pictures of the front yard. It's still there. There were 13 kids in his family, housed in a 1900 sq. ft. 3 maybe 4 bedroom house. It's basically an old farm house. Jesus...

A few details are in order. The main beam of the house does not support any walls of the first or second story. Instead it lies about 6 feet form the load bearing spot where it needs to be. This beam lies almost in the middle of the dining room floor. Floor joist spacing is random.......14-18". I found 1938 newspapers stuffed around the door frames when I had them replaced. The stairway to the basement and second story are on top of each other and a series of 10, 2 x 4's, are responsible for holding up the East end of the house, not the main beam. The 10, 2x4's were set in to the dirt in the basement before any concrete was poured. Termites ate heck out of them resulting in about a 3" dip in the center of the house. Funny how the inspector overlooked the termite damage when I bought the darn thing.

That's just the beginning of the troubles. The furnace will not heat the whole house effectively, no central air and I'm too broke down to muscle window units anymore. Wiring won't support more the one AC unit on second floor. Knob and tube wiring. Concrete block construction on the first floor. 2nd floor is wood framed, lathe and plaster. The plaster is old school. A scratch coat of a material similar to concrete, complete with pig bristles in it, covered by a thin coat of plaster. No insulation on the concrete block walls. It sometimes gets down to 48 degrees F in the master bed room. Dirtiest dang house I've ever seen, wipe a surface off and a few hours later, the same spot is filthy.

Not enough light in the house, natural or other. Not enough closets, no storage, no flow to the house, antiquated kitchen, bad sketchy plumbing, poor electrical, no rain gutters, poor drainage, yard is higher than side walks. I can identify 22 varieties of weeds in my yard. the garage is unusable and an eyesore, the houses 2nd story has cedar shakes with peeling paint. Weird, steep small, steps to the second story. Technically story and a half. Interior walls have pulled away from the exterior walls 2-3", fire place chimney is in danger of collapsing, it has pulled away form the house 2". It's putting stress on a second story window as it collapses destroying it as it goes. Ancient wood frame double hung windows with wavy glass so if you look out at something, it's all distorted. So really I use about 900 sq. ft. of this 1900 sq. ft., albatross, the excess sq.ft. is like a yoke around my neck... I feel I'm too old to move and the real estate market is crazy now any way.

This houses problems have basically ruined my marriage and my life for 38 years...

A couple good things about my house....New roof, it's 15 minutes from darn near everything around here, a big church across the street which provides quite a bit of privacy. A fragrant yard in the spring. Starting with Clove bush then Lilac and Lily of the valley and finishing up with 90 year old wild yellow roses around June that smell up my whole yard. Being concrete block on the first floor makes it fairly resistant to stray bullets. You just never know anymore.

I use my dining room as a living room. It has 4 single doors and a set of french doors. This only allows furniture to be arranged one way and is cramped. Funny thing is, many times the wife and I will be watching TV in this room and get up to look out the window, to check the weather and find that it's storming really hard and we had no idea. What a sturdy, cave like, central room.

Best thing about this house is my long suffering, beloved wife lives here with me and the 3 cats that own us. I grew up in an old farm house so it feels a lot like home, thanks to my wife's labors. We really, really want to downsize and move.
Well you know what they say about real estate: location, location, location. Sounds like your lot is great but the house is not. If you've been in it for 38 years, you should own it outright and it's worth way, way more than you paid for it. Sounds like you should have no problem selling it.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Would love to but with the market so high, I'd end up living in a dire neighborhood. My advanced age makes me want to circle my wagons.

Hot ticket, in this area, would be to get a flipper crew in here and turn it into a 2 apartments. They'd never let me rezone, although it did have a 2 chair, beauty parlor in the front room at one time many years ago. College within walking distance. One lady was advertising rooms for 450$ a month in a big house. Geez....

Thanks for answering. This post really isn't appropriate for here I suppose. Maybe I should start a thread about home improvement fails, advanced challenges for the do it yourselfer's and the clueless. I've always thought this house rated it's own TV show on PBS called This D*** House, how the working guy can improve his hovel on the cheap by himself.....Let's say I got burned when I bought it and burned ever since.

Legion

Staff member
Your first step might be to get a valuation on the property. You might be surprised.

When my father died his house was in an appalling state. He had let it go to ruin, and I honestly thought the only reason anybody would buy it would be to knock it down and build some small town houses on the land.

But in the end a young couple bought it intending to fix it up themselves, as they would never be able to afford a home of that size without it being the ultimate fix-er-upper. I wish them luck.... I had visions of that Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit".

What you see as stressful problems with the house, somebody with handyman skills and motivation might see as opportunity.

Of course I don't know anything specific, as I am just posting online without seeing your house. But if the structure has held up this long, if you could get the main termite damage repaired (enough structural support spliced back in) then maybe it could continue to give you service for some years to come. IMO having a solid roof provides some hope, in that you should not be having any water intrusion and further damages.

It might be worth contacting a local church, men's club, community college, etc to see if anyone can help you out with repairs. To get some free/volunteer sweat equity if they are willing to help. Though it sounds like a potential can of worms from a city inspection or liability point-of-view. But if that could be sorted out, maybe there is a way forward to patch things up enough make your home more livable in the near term without a big investment in money or time.

I'm sorry to hear this. Most options require selling, unless you are able to find an assistance group.

Moving is probably the best option. Property in most rural areas is still fairly reasonable, but it will take investigation.

You could also talk to a realtor and see about an appraisal, and see about "tiny home" options in the area. For a permanent home, you generally have a slab and meet sq footage requirements. It is a lot of work, either way, but investigating buying a lot somewhere and building is intellectual work vs doing repair.

Or, a trailer/motorhome, but of course you have to calculate fuel & upkeep per year, which may or may not be a bragain, depending on the sale price of your property.

I would second checking local resources, even Habitat for Humanity might have options.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Deciding your best course of action requires knowing where it is and how tied to that area you are. My house for example is in a neighborhood of 1980 tract homes that are being bought and demolished and the lots used to build very large and expensive homes. My lot value would probably enable me to move many (most) places, but my children and granddaughter live here. So I stay put and chip away at my home. Maybe you could sell it with a reservation of some of it to build an ADU.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Maybe you could show us some photos of your home and that may give us a hand in helping to remedy some of your issues with your home. Especially the really handy members who may have done some of the work required to repair the issues that you have mentioned.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Maybe you could show us some photos of your home and that may give us a hand in helping to remedy some of your issues with your home.

It may freak you out a bit but I'll make an attempt at that.

Property in most rural areas is still fairly reasonable, but it will take investigation.

This location was rural in 1910 but has since turned in to a densely populated area. The old guy that used to live here told me how they kept horses and plowed the snow around this area in the 30's. My Mom went to the elementary school, 3 blocks away when it was new...1926. My kid's went to it also. It's 15 minutes away from my job and I hate to drive. It's just this falling down house.

I'm a handy guy, I have real nice house fixing tools but being 65 and working lots of hours on nights, I'm too broke down to take on a lot of stuff and don't have time that would be appropriate to do things. Neighbors don't want to hear pounding and power tools at 2 am, when I get my second wind. I hate to admit it, but I'm not the man I was 3 or 4 years ago. Impending knee replacement and severe prostate problems are making stairways problematic and having the bathroom one floor away is hell some times. I've never taken a vacation, time off of work is taken up by catching up on repairs I can do.

It might be worth contacting a local church, men's club, community college, etc to see if anyone can help you out with repairs.

Lord I hope I'm not sounding destitute. I'm as well off as I've ever been but when throwing money at a junk house and not being able to do much yourself...I could be destitute real quick.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

This location was rural in 1910 but has since turned in to a densely populated area. The old guy that used to live here told me how they kept horses and plowed the snow around this area in the 30's. My Mom went to the elementary school, 3 blocks away when it was new...1926. My kid's went to it also. It's 15 minutes away from my job and I hate to drive. It's just this falling down house.

I'm a handy guy, I have real nice house fixing tools but being 65 and working lots of hours on nights, I'm too broke down to take on a lot of stuff and don't have time that would be appropriate to do things. Neighbors don't want to hear pounding and power tools at 2 am, when I get my second wind. I hate to admit it, but I'm not the man I was 3 or 4 years ago. Impending knee replacement and severe prostate problems are making stairways problematic and having the bathroom one floor away is hell some times. I've never taken a vacation, time off of work is taken up by catching up on repairs I can do.

Lord I hope I'm not sounding destitute. I'm as well off as I've ever been but when throwing money at a junk house and not being able to do much yourself...I could be destitute real quick.

Pick a project. Doesn't matter what. Something.
Get a few friends and family to agree to come out and knock it out, in exchange, you put on food and a keg.
You'd be surprised how much you can get done that way.
The key is to pick something, just one thing - and work on it.
Don't let the overwhelming amount of work get you depressed and give you action paralysis.
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

No, I think most of completely understand all of that! I was saying, depending on the market, you might find a place in a smaller community, if you sell your current place.

I've done subfloor. 3-4 screw jacks, 2 dedicated younger guys and some 2x10s or 2x12s is a good start. That may ease some of the separation problems right there, depending...

When we moved to Galveston, my wife was in love, looking longingly at the older homes. At the time, I told her, I'm a 43 y/o diabetic, and can't do 6-8 hours on a house after 8 hours at work, nor could I work enough to pay for all the contracting, and while I can do "purty good" with home work, construction is not my gig. We were blessed with the opportunity for a (much)smaller new construction before the prices skyrocketed. I've lived this long by careful pacing.

Not everyone has a church family, but it can help. We stripped houses, replaced walls, replaced floors, etc., after hurricane Harvey, plus general stuff for folks that can't manage it.

One thing to keep in mind is if there is a Historical Society active in that area. Repairs can get cost prohibitive really quickly when they start deciding how you can repair your house. I've seen houses be left to ruin and be demolished because the Hysterical society got involved when the owners needed to do repairs.

Some stupid examples. One house had to be painted by hand with brushes so that the brush strokes could be seen when examined. My grandfather's neighbor had a no longer used chimney that was crumbling and he had it removed and capped. The HS made him rebuild it in the same manner. If my parents have a tree or shrub die they must replace it with an identical plant. You do not decide to join these groups here and there are no benefits. They decide to annex you if they like the style and age of your house. Personally, I call them Historical Nazis playing with other people's money.

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Pick a project. Doesn't matter what. Something.

Most pressing matter would be the chimney for the unused fire place. It's pulled away from the house 2+ inches. Had the job bid 4 years ago at 14k to remove it and repair the side of the house. Geez that's a lot of money!

Many projects are intertwined. Can't do the kitchen floor without structural work, need new cabinets also. But the cabinets are mounted on the un-insulated concrete walls causing condensation inside the cabinets. I therefore need to fur out the walls and put up foam insulation before anything. Furring concrete block walls are a special treat. Nothing is straight or straight forward in this house.

14k sounds high for making an exterior chimney disappear, as I might think getting it to topple over into the yard to not be a huge time consuming task. Leaving most of the budget for fixing the big hole. I say that not really understanding the total work involved. I have had half a mind to tear out the chimney in my house, one that is functional and not needing repair but is never used. It has natural gas logs, and had never burned real wood as far as I know. It is within the roof/floor footprint, so I look at as unused space and a heat leak. I would consult with family and a realtor before doing something so bold and potentially reckless to the resale value, but I have been tempted to build a platform around the chimney and buy a SDS hammer tool and take it down brick by brick.

Regarding the condensation, could you apply a layer of foam insulation in the exterior, the kind with a reflective radiant barrier. That is probably also expensive to get installed under the existing exterior, but maybe less than redoing a kitchen.

You could also look into getting a dehumidifier or two installed. Enough to handle the volume of air in your house. One with some kind of plumbed in drain (even if only a garden hose placed in a sink or washing machine drain) so that you don't need to empty the tanks. That should minimize the condensation from happening even with a large temperature differential. I would start with a dehumidifier, even a $100-200 portable unit (higher cost for better and longer lasting units) as it will provide a noticable improvement.

@duke762 lots of good advice here. More important, you weren’t wrong to post your story here. If nothing else, perhaps you will choose to start with a small project, or perhaps you will get serious about selling and moving to a smaller home with fewer hassles. If you do the math, you might find that a nearby apartment makes more sense. You sound “stuck”…unstick yourself…make some informed choices. Good luck.

My wife finally talked me into selling our house, and downsizing to an apartment in 2020. I admit that, in my mid 70s, I couldn't keep up with maintenance, but I hate the apartment and still miss my house. Weirdly, we had the roof & skylight redone, a new front door and other repairs done before deciding to sell. We didn't even get to enjoy them.

If you have a bug problem, check out domyown.com. After wasting $500 one year for a carpenter ant problem, I contacted them. In a week I got rid of the problem. Same with ants at our apartment. PM me for what works. Sadly, no solution for apt neighbors.

Top Bottom