What's new

I have great neighbors...

So, my wife and I moved into our retirement home in a rural community in northern Michigan four years ago. Our home is in a residential subdivision and we have three lots: two have grass and trees that I maintain, the other is pretty much as God intended, with trees and brush that I'm leaving "wild" for the deer, foxes, birds, raccoons, etc. Two of our lots have a ditch and the ditch is filled and covered with sod in front of the house.

Shortly after we moved in I noticed that the woman across the street was bringing her dog to our side of the street to do its business, on grass that I maintain in front of our side lot between the edge of the road and ditch.

I walked out, politely introduced myself as the new owner of the home, and asked nicely that she please take her dog elsewhere to relieve itself. She countered with "this is an easement" to which I replied "well, you have an easement too, and I would never curb my dog on your easement", to which she replied: "Welcome to the neighborhood, ***hole". 😄😄😄

Well, she stopped bringing her dog over, and to be honest, there's an empty lot right next door to hers so I never understood why she insisted on using my lot.

But it gets better.

I recently noticed that someone has been dumping their yard waste, mainly grass clippings in the ditch of my "wild" lot. Yes, it is technically an easement owned by the county but it is right in front of MY lot.

Today I was on the back deck smoking my pipe and saw the woman's husband cutting their lawn. He killed the engine on his push mower, rolled it across the street to my lot, and dumped his grass clippings in the ditch.

I walked up as he was replacing the catcher on his mower and asked "hey, what are you doing?" and he very nonchalantly replied "I'm emptying my grass clippings into the ditch".

After informing him that I owned the lot, he apologized, though I was somewhat surprised that he didn't try to use the same "easement" excuse that his wife gave me.

Maybe I am an ***hole and overreacting but I find their actions disrespectful. They would never allow their dog to pee or poop on their own manicured lawn, and prefer to use my "easement" rather than the empty lot right next door to them...and EVERYONE else in our immediate neighborhood either mulches or bags their yard waste.

I filled 50 paper bags with leaves last fall, and carry a roll of plastic "doggy bags" when I walk our mutt, and would never even allow him on their lawn.

It's just the neighborly thing to do.

Anyway, I'm just venting, and really loved her hilarious reaction to being challenged by me (to which she got a resounding "f you"). She smiles and waves at me now, so I guess we have an "understanding".

Regardless, I'm not expecting an invitation to their Labor Day BBQ this weekend. 😄😄😄

Last edited:
I live in northern Michigan as well. I had a neighbor lady who yelled at me because my dog peed on her mailbox out by the road. Kind of funny because she had a dog as well. I guess her dog doesn’t poop or pee. I also had a guy yell at me because my dog pooped in the center grassy area in the center of the cul-de-sac in front of his house. I always have a poop bag ready to pick up any waste. This is a guy that parks his vehicles on that same grass even if it is soaked and muddy. He too has a dog. And then you have the people that don’t pick up their dog waste.

I live in northern Michigan as well. I had a neighbor lady who yelled at me because my dog peed on her mailbox out by the road. Kind of funny because she had a dog as well. I guess her dog doesn’t poop or pee. I also had a guy yell at me because my dog pooped in the center grassy area in the center of the cul-de-sac in front of his house. I always have a poop bag ready to pick up any waste. This is a guy that parks his vehicles on that same grass even if it is soaked and muddy. He too has a dog. And then you have the people that don’t pick up their dog waste.

Yeah, I'm forever picking up the poop on my lawn from other people's dogs. The lady in my original post blamed the dog. "He goes wherever he wants to". No, he's a 5lb dog on a leash and he goes where YOU lead him.

Yeah, I'm forever picking up the poop on my lawn from other people's dogs. The lady in my original post blamed the dog. "He goes wherever he wants to". No, he's a 5lb dog on a leash and he goes where YOU lead him.
When we first moved into our house I was constantly picking up dog poop off my front yard. Our dogs stayed in the backyard.
Eventually I saw the culprit. I calmly scooped her dogs leavings and followed her home. She was unhappy with me dumping her "property" right outside her door.

After 2 or 3 repeats I haven't had to clean up after anyone elses dog.

Jay

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
When we first moved into our house I was constantly picking up dog poop off my front yard. Our dogs stayed in the backyard.
Eventually I saw the culprit. I calmly scooped her dogs leavings and followed her home. She was unhappy with me dumping her "property" right outside her door.

After 2 or 3 repeats I haven't had to clean up after anyone elses dog.

Jay
That is what I have done in the past. It works every time.

~doug~

Goat a boat? Take your friendly neighbors for a ride.

IMG_1773.gif

Re. the OP here, yes it is an easement just like mine. So you don't own it, the county does since there are utilities running underneath. But you are responsible for maintaining it, not the county. The county does not mow it, for instance. So the idea that the folks across the street would do as they have... it is jaw dropping.

Not an excuse at all but an observation. I wonder if your home had been rented prior to you living there. So the tenants don't care and the folks across the street took advantage of the situation. Then you buy the home and are the owner so you rightfully have a sense of ownership that the renters never did.

That is about the only scenario I can come up with. And even then what they were doing is unacceptable.

Re. the OP here, yes it is an easement just like mine. So you don't own it, the county does since there are utilities running underneath. But you are responsible for maintaining it, not the county. The county does not mow it, for instance. So the idea that the folks across the street would do as they have... it is jaw dropping.

Not an excuse at all but an observation. I wonder if your home had been rented prior to you living there. So the tenants don't care and the folks across the street took advantage of the situation. Then you buy the home and are the owner so you rightfully have a sense of ownership that the renters never did.

That is about the only scenario I can come up with. And even then what they were doing is unacceptable.

I think you nailed it.

The home wasn't rented but owned but an elderly, meek, widow who likely didn't notice, or care, or was averse to confrontation, so they were comfortable doing as they pleased.

Well, I'm none of the above and she (the neighbor) didn't take well to being challenged. 😄😄😄😄

Here's the thing:

They have a meticulously maintained lawn, very nice. They don't want their dog doing its thing on their lawn, I get that . I consider my lawn a well kept "up-north" (rural) lawn that I keep mowed,, trimmed, and mostly weed free. Not perfect but nice. Regardless, it is still MY lawn, easement or not. They have an easement too, and I would never intrude on (violate?) their space. I just expect the same consideration.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm in a rural area where our property lines are the middle of the road. We keep 3 feet back from the road trimmed to provide snow space during winter plowing.
The neighbors who walk their dogs have taken to using the other side of the road as they walk past my place because my Mastiff stands in the driveway and watches passers by. They are not afraid of the German Shepherd.
Oddly enough, they are more likely to have problems with the Shepherd than the Mastiff. The Mastiff loves people and other animals and is way too friendly.
The Shepherd has her hackles raised and deep growls every time someone walks by till they are past the property.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Truth be told, no one should have to put up a sign. I realize it’s too much these days to expect people to do what’s right, so signs are a necessity sometimes, when they wouldn’t be breaking any law or ordinance.

It really isn’t hard to do what’s right. If parents taught their children to know what “right” is, our planet would be a nicer, more friendly place.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Many years ago I had a little battle ongoing with a neighbourhood mutt that would come over to my yard to get rid of used dog food. Not a problem, as I know the cure...

So about two weeks after that started the neighbour and I were chatting in the street. He looked at my lawn and said, "Wow. How do you keep dog poop from making those burnt holes in your grass? Your lawn is so green!" I smiled with justifiable pride and told him my secret.

Bacon grease.

"Oh, like it helps the poop dissolve into the grass?" he asked.

"No, I don't think so. I just melt some in a cup and come out and pour a bit on every deposit. Next day, they're all gone."

"Wow!" he said. "I'm gonna try thhhh....." and as his voice went silent he was watching his kids playing with their dog in their front yard.

"HEY YOU KIDS DON'T LET THE DOG LICK YOUR FACES LIKE THAT!!" he screamed as he ran back across the street.

I just smiled and waved...

O.H.

Truth be told, no one should have to put up a sign. I realize it’s too much these days to expect people to do what’s right, so signs are a necessity sometimes, when they wouldn’t be breaking any law or ordinance.

It really isn’t hard to do what’s right. If parents taught their children to know what “right” is, our planet would be a nicer, more friendly place.

My neighbor was letting his dogs roam the neighborhood so I started putting what I scooped out the cat pans under my magnolia close to his house. I understand it raised quite a gassy aroma in the house so he had to put up a fence.

Love it.

"Do unto others..." 😄😄😄

Top Bottom