What's new

Guess I'll be going back to cartridge razors

Carts always worked great for me - and I use them still whenever in a real hurry. However, I'd rather set the alarm clock 20 min earlier to have time to do a DE 3-pass. And actually just last night wifey remarked spontaneously, when I yet again was ranting about the joy of shaving, how much better my skin looks today. No more rashes and irritation (just the occasional nick but who's counting:001_rolle). But whatever works for you, I wish you the best shaves ever!

proxy.php

HILARIOUS!!!!!! LOL

One pass with a 4 blade cart is like 4 passes with a DE. 3 passes with a cart is like 12 passes with a DE.

I have a test for you. If you have a Postwar Tech, or any no date code Gillette TTO, shave with it for as many passes as it takes and see if it is possible to get a BBS shave from it. Only those razors. These razors are mild and have excellent rigidity.
Do not go over any area more than once without relathering.

If you can get a BBS shave from one of the mentioned razors, then you will have an idea of how many strokes it takes with a DE and we can go from there.

Edit

Find your angle and keep a light touch.

I was in a hurry this morning, so I pulled out my Dorco Pace 4 (from my previous membership to Dollar Shave Club) and came away with my usual DFS+. However, I didn't find the shaving experience as satisfying as my DEs, SEs, Injectors, and Shavettes, so I will be sticking with those for most of my shaving needs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of these razors and I am glad that they work for the OP.

Definitely take a look at Dorcousa.com. As was mentioned by someone else, Dorco supplies DSC's cartridges. (Looking at DorcoUSA, and comparing to DSC's site, it looks like the DSC "Humble Twin" is the same as Dorco's "Pace Comfort Thin II.") Buying in bulk direct from Dorco would definitely be cheaper than going through DSC.

What a coincidence! I'll never go back to using plastic toy razors, just like you'll never go back to using "canned goo".

I hope the term "plastic toy razor" isn't offensive, but what do I know? I'm just an idiot who occasionally slathers goo on his face.

One pass with a 4 blade cart is like 4 passes with a DE. 3 passes with a cart is like 12 passes with a DE.

This isn't really true unless your face is 100% flat. In fact, it's the reason why I don't use cartridges. One blade I can control the angle over the surface. Two, and one blade is perfectly positioned to cut hair, and the other is positioned to do nothing, or slice my face up. It gets worse with the ones mentioned as 'shaving with an athletic sneaker'.

In the time I played with different cartridges and disposables, I got more nicks I and cuts than I ever have with my SuperSpeed. I also never managed a 'two pass' DFS or BBS shave with two or three blade cartridges, let alone singles. Most of my shaves are one pass DFS, with two pass if I want it to be really good.

This isn't really true unless your face is 100% flat. In fact, it's the reason why I don't use cartridges. One blade I can control the angle over the surface. Two, and one blade is perfectly positioned to cut hair, and the other is positioned to do nothing, or slice my face up. It gets worse with the ones mentioned as 'shaving with an athletic sneaker'.

In the time I played with different cartridges and disposables, I got more nicks I and cuts than I ever have with my SuperSpeed. I also never managed a 'two pass' DFS or BBS shave with two or three blade cartridges, let alone singles. Most of my shaves are one pass DFS, with two pass if I want it to be really good.
What kind of lather were you using? Using canned foam or gel is usually the problem...

What kind of lather were you using? Using canned foam or gel is usually the problem...

Same stuff I used with my SuperSpeed. Soap, shower gel, canned foam, canned gel, and the best of the lot, tube gel (rub it in with your fingers like a cream) I didn't get a brush until relatively recently.

My point is that with the _same_ preparation, the tools operated vastly differently, with the SuperSpeed being predictable and good, and the carts being predictable and bad. There also a lot of people with beard hairs that don't lend themselves to reasonable use with cartridges due to clogging.

If you shave with a 4 blade cartridge and your lather isn't good, the first blade gets the cushion, while the other three blades is like 3 passes with no lather at all! And that will tear your face up.

So, you were using lather good enough for one blade but not good enough for multiple blades.

For some reason I've got Devo's "Freedom of Choice" running through my head...
If cleancut is applying all he's learned over the past few years, software and prep wise, the hardware used shouldn't be a problem. In my cart/canned goo days, like most of us I'm sure, it was smear on foam and go at it with the cart. Thanks to what I've learned since, choosing which soap/cream/brush/blade/razor to use each morning is probably more fun than the actual shaving. cleancut is just eliminating the last two choices to be dithered over each morning...which in my world might 'shave' about five minutes from my routine!
Freedom of Choice, my friend.

I have been shaving for over a year now with DE. The cartridge system in a lot of ways is easier. However, I do not miss the ingrown hairs. Congrats on finding your setup.

Also wet shaving with electric is possible:a3:
But electric could be good investment but yields a lot of money and it's lottery, for some foil work and rotary doesn't and vice versa.
Good eletric cost money, plus battery issues with years passing by, also changing heads and foild ect.

I'll say a heretic thing but actually our DE blades are nothing different than cartridges, just cheaper and more gentle on skin.

Last edited:
So, you were using lather good enough for one blade but not good enough for multiple blades.

Erroneous assumption. Most of the various things I tried (other than the canned foam) were good enough for multiple passes with my superspeed. I didn't just blurt out that it had to be cartridges - I tried a number of carts over the years, with different supplies. All of the carts tended to have the same destructive tendencies - and the single bladed disposables just clogged. I also think that most people, if their razor clogs, try to push harder :)

Erroneous assumption. Most of the various things I tried (other than the canned foam) were good enough for multiple passes with my superspeed. I didn't just blurt out that it had to be cartridges - I tried a number of carts over the years, with different supplies. All of the carts tended to have the same destructive tendencies - and the single bladed disposables just clogged. I also think that most people, if their razor clogs, try to push harder :)
To put it simply...if you lather your face one time and did four passes without relathering at all with a super speed(one blade), it would have the same damaging effect as lathering one time and one pass with a four blade cart.

You don't get to relather for each blade on a cart during one pass.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

:eyeroll: To put it simply, you're trying to blame lather for poor cartridge performance. I'm saying that for ME, cartridges perform poorly, including _cuts_, not just razor rash. Cartridges work fine for many - but not for me. The lather wasn't the problem. I can get a decent shave out of almost anything vaguely lubricating, and the gels were VERY lubricating. Some of the stuff I used I had to re-wash my face with soap to get the slickness off.

Same stuff I used with my SuperSpeed. Soap, shower gel, canned foam, canned gel, and the best of the lot, tube gel (rub it in with your fingers like a cream) I didn't get a brush until relatively recently.

My point is that with the _same_ preparation, the tools operated vastly differently, with the SuperSpeed being predictable and good, and the carts being predictable and bad. There also a lot of people with beard hairs that don't lend themselves to reasonable use with cartridges due to clogging.

My apologies! You used a super speed for a comparison and I was simply stating that a 4/5 blade cartridge demand s better lather than a super speed. I said what I said based on what you said in bold.

To put it simply...if you lather your face one time and did four passes without relathering at all with a super speed(one blade), it would have the same damaging effect as lathering one time and one pass with a four blade cart.

You don't get to relather for each blade on a cart during one pass.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

That's eronoius milarky. I don't have that problem with multi blade cartridges, and that includes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 blade cartridges. Interesting theory, but in practice it just ain't so.

Top Bottom