What's new

Guess I'll be going back to cartridge razors

I've been a faithful wet shaver since I joined this forum back in 2008. The reason I began wet shaving was due to the ever increasing cost of cartridge refills. Over the years I accumulated several hundred dollars worth of dbl edge razors and accompanying soaps, creams and after shaves. But after all this time I could never get my neck shaved without leaving stubble. I usually ended up tearing up my neck trying to get that bbs shave. No matter how slow or what direction I tried I could never get the type of shave I wanted on my neck. I tried all types of razors and blade combinations. All types of soaps and creams. I pretty much just gave up trying. Then one day I received an unsolicited email from the Dollar Shave Club. A handle and 4 carts for a buck. What the hell, I signed up. A few days later a handle and a 4 pack of 4 blade carts showed up in my mail. The next morning I grabbed my brush and lathered up with Mdc soap and tried the new razor out. To my complete and utter astonishment my neck was bbs without a single nick. I couldn't believe it. I've been using this setup for over a month now and still haven't received a single nick. Looks like my problems are over. I'll never go back to using canned goo again, but as long as I can get these carts for the price they're charging now, I doubt I'll go back to the old dbl blade razor again. This is not an endorsement for the Dollar Shave Club. I have no connection to them whatsoever. I just thought I'd let others that may have the same problem know what worked for me.

Cartridge razors are ok but I just don't like the pivoting head. If I went back to a cartridge razor it would have to be a Trac II razor.

Congratulations on finding something that works for you! Did the (more expensive) cartridges that you used before 2008 also shave your neck better than DEs?

proxy.php

Oh man... that's cool you found something that works for you though, and may all of your shaves continue to be awesome.

Cartridges work best for me too.

You should know that Dollar Shave Club buys their razors and blades from Dorco (except for the lowest price 2 blade system, I don't know who that supplier is). You can buy Dorcos for much less if you go direct. Just do a google search and learn about it.

All that I have learned about selecting brushes and soaps enhances cartridge shaving too.

I commend you for giving the de razors such a long and thorough chance. At the end of the day I think that everyone would agree that you should always do what works best for you. I found that I could go back to carts if I needed to, but I attribute that success (if you'd call it that) to improved technique learned via DE's; straights; etc. Also a good soap makes a tremendous difference in my opinion. Happy shaves!

That sucks, but as everyone as said thus far YMMV. So cartridge are the best for you and that's great! I've gotten far better results with the DE, but in a pinch, all the techniques I've have learned thus far would make cartridge razors a good backup if all things went wrong

You have to use what works for you. I also collect and appreciate vintage DE and SE razors and like you, can also get a fantastic shave with a cart razor (in fact I'm endurance testing one for the month of March as we speak).

Ad Astra

The Instigator
You should know that Dollar Shave Club buys their razors and blades from Dorco (except for the lowest price 2 blade system, I don't know who that supplier is). You can buy Dorcos for much less if you go direct. Just do a google search and learn about it.

This. And then one day, they sent me an e-mail about Dorco Prime ...

AA

I used DSC for a year or so. My complaint was how many of the carts broke after only two or three shaves. I finally gave up and found this forum.

The views expressed may not be mine in five minutes.

I think going for BBS on my neck would do similar damage. I've found DFS is very adequate for my neck but then again I don't wear a tie very often (weddings, funerals only).

Glad to hear you've found a setup that delivers. That's the real goal I think for everyone here.

-Stephen

Congrats amigo...... You did what's best for you. That's all any man can say or do. I give you credit for hanging in there so long. Yet, always better late than never. As the late Malcom X once stated, "By any means necessary". Shaving that is......

Glad that you found what works for you! What you have learned here will definitely help whatever set-up you use.

I've continually said that for me the indispensable part of the routine is quality software and a brush. My face could care less if I used a de p, SE, or a cart. Do whatever you enjoy that follows the budget you so desire and gives the shaves you want. Good luck!

I also found that carts give me a better shave and more quickly than a DE razor. I bought a Merkur 34c and tried DE shaving early last year for the first time and while I got a good shave mostly, it always cut up my chin, which, due to an injury and a bunch of stitches years ago, is a very difficult area for me to shave. About that time I found Dorco, which are very inexpensive carts which last me a month per cart, so cost is very reasonable. The issue with shaving my chin no longer occurs. I still enjoy shaving soaps and creams and will never go back to a can.

I know many of us tend to get cynical about the new fangled cartridge razors but I have a hard time believing that the only reason for their existence is increased profit. Their design, I believe, is intended to make shaving for the average guy as easy and quick as possible. In today's world you pay for convenience and that is part of the cartridge cost. I'm glad to hear you have found a set up that allows you to get a great shave while no breaking the bank.

Top Bottom