What's new

Greetings from NAS Pensacola

Alright, I purchased the Merkur HD from Vintage Blades and the small assortment pack of razors from westcoastshaving.com. Now on to purchasing the mug and aftershave. I would get them from classicshaving.com but the website is acting up on me. Is this happening to anyone else? Also, are their good alternative sites for getting aftershaves?

Lots of aftershaves offered at Em's Place, Vintage Blades (my fave lately is Taylor of Old Bond Street "Mr. Taylor's"), QED, and others. The mug I don't know about. I get soaps in bowls or jars, and I build the lather directly on my beard.

Alright, I purchased the Merkur HD from Vintage Blades and the small assortment pack of razors from westcoastshaving.com. Now on to purchasing the mug and aftershave. I would get them from classicshaving.com but the website is acting up on me. Is this happening to anyone else? Also, are their good alternative sites for getting aftershaves?

There are a lot of places that sell them, I try to use a few to support the vendors -- it also depends on what you're looking for. When I first started DE shaving ~three months ago, I Googled what I was looking for, and several vendors mentioned here showed up.

Re: the sampler pack, for me, I skipped the Merkurs and went to IP/Crystal -> Derby -> Gillette -> Feather. My blades of choice are Gillette and Feather -- the Gillettes are more forgiving, but Feathers are superb and a bit cheaper.

Here is a list of the equipment I have purchased:
1. Pinaud Clubman Bay Rum
2. Pinaud Clubman Original
3. Barber shaving towels
4. Black shave mug w/ Coconut & Lime shaving soap
5. Merkur Heavy Classic
6. Westcoastshaving.com small sample pack
7. Shavemac Pure Badger Shaving Brush

You've got a very nice set-up there! Enjoy it. I love the old-timey fragrance of the Pinaud Clubman Original.

Keep us posted as you continue to explore this.

Michael,
It took a bit of searching but I found out some good posts about those products. I certainly am getting the bug for trying different soaps out. Do you happen to know what classicshaving.com sells as their soap? Is it a good product? Thanks again all.

Welcome Paul! I am not a fan of Classic Shaving's soap. There are much better deals out there for much better soaps. You can go crazy looking at all the options available, but we have several members and vendors on this board that make some excellent soaps. I highly recommend:

QEDman Soaps
(Charles' website stinks but his service is unsurpassed - ask if questions or trouble navigating his site or finding products)

Mama Bear's Soaps (Hi Sue! Have fun trying to decide among all the scents...)

Em's Place Soaps (Emily makes a wide array of absolutely fantastic products)

Saint Charles Shave (Sue, another member with a lovely array of products)

The Gentleman's Quarter (Colleen, soaps to die for - link is to PDF file as she is still working on her site)

Honeybee Spa (Yet another Sue... lovely soaps as well)

And this is only a few of many that I could suggest. Do a few searches in the shaving soap section on these vendors and you will find some commonly loved products that would be good to start with).

Thanks for your service Marine.

Dennis

The Classic Shaving soap is pretty good, but (like Dennis02), I prefer the others. Given your situation, I highly recommend you give the shaving sticks a try: available from QED and from Mama Bear. The QED Special 218 is wonderful, and I personally like the chocolate-coffee fragrance of the Mocha-Java. Just rub the shaving stick against the grain all over your wet beard, then use the wet (but shaken out) brush to build the lather on your beard. Very neat, very quick, and the brush will hold enough lather for later passes.

Browse among those vendors and you'll find a lot to like. (The Honeybee Sue Peach is extremely nice for summer, as is the Lemon.)

Tell me marine, how does Nancy Boy shaving creme rhyme with Marine Corps? I read in another thread that the Corps is the only institution where men shave dry! What is this with this Nancy Boy stuff in the US? Could somebody enlighten me on the philosophy behind Nancy Boy? Is it, god forbid, a gay thing?

Now then, on a more personal note, and - not withstanding your sacrifice - what are you studying?

I wish you good continuance.

Nancy Boy plays the gay card, but so what? It's great shaving cream, and in fact all their products are great. "Tested on boyfriends, not on animals" is their slogan. :biggrin: I highly recommend the shaving cream, and shop around on the site.

Nancy Boy plays the gay card, but so what? It's great shaving cream, and in fact all their products are great. "Tested on boyfriends, not on animals" is their slogan. :biggrin: I highly recommend the shaving cream, and shop around on the site.

I suspected so, but hey, what the heck, no problemo and very funny too. I suppose their products aren't available in Europe.

Apparently not -- from their site:
We no longer offer international shipping of Nancy Boy products, due to extremely high rates of fraud and non-payment of customs fees for which we were held liable. If you are a long-standing international Nancy Boy customer, please email us at contact at nancyboy dot com for more information. We're very sorry about having to make this change, especially as our products are not sold anywhere except our San Francisco store and at nancyboy.com.
It's too bad, because they really are exceptional products.

Thanks again all for the great links. My situation allows me to use shave soaps as I am in a school setting here in Florida and probably won't see my first deployment for another 1-2 years. I am here to study as an Aviation Electronics Technician working on whatever bird I may happen to or possibly Air Traffic Control equipment.

There are definitely some Marines that dry shave which is about the same that think because an electric shaver costs a bit it equals performance. You can tell who dry shaves or electric shaves because the shave either irritates their skin, leaves stubble, or the shave does not last long. But other than that, I would say most of all the other Marines use the can of goop and a cartridge razor.

Marine,

I just recently broke the habit of raking my face with a rusty piece of steel, a habit I learned in the military. I'm getting an outstanding shave with a Merkur Progress that is a lot closer than I ever did with the multi-bladed razors and electrics.

As a newbie I think a blade angle with the razor handle almost parallel to the floor and no pressure on the skin is the trick. It seems the weight of these razors is enough to do the job. This is my post on the matter http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21924.

I like the selection of Nancy Boy brand.

Rock on,

boz

Thank you Boz, I am off to read the thread. I am having a hard choice deciding on what shaving soap to choose. I have the Nancy Boy which works and smells quite nice, but I want some more fragrances and brands to cycle through. I am looking at Mama Bear's and/or Honeybee Sue. Anyone have commendations for either of these brands? Thanks all again!

Top Bottom