What's new

Greetings From China

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here but I’ve been wet shaving with a DE safety razor for quite a few years now. My go-to basic setup has been a Merkur long handle, Astra Blades, Generic Brush, and Tabac Original or Proraso Green shave soap.

To clarify, I am currently writing this from China, but I’m a US citizen currently here for work. I’m flying back to the US tomorrow but will likely be returning for a long-term work contract lasting anywhere from 3-7 years.

I’ve decided it’s time to make the jump over to a straight razor/kamisori. I need to pick a razor either new or used, a strop, and stock up on some soap before leaving the US for an extended amount of time. Decent shaving supplies are hard to get here; the standard is a two blade disposable that rips out more hair than it cuts.

I’ve done a bit of research but I don’t really know what to buy yet. I think the common sense choice would be a carbon steel 6/8 round blade, but there’s something about the kamisori that keeps calling me. I know there’s a certain eBay seller that has kamisori at a decent price but I’m reluctant to buy anything off fleabay not really knowing what I’m looking for. I might have to go the Iwasaki route and deal with the wrath of my wife once she sees the bill. :laugh:

Anyway, my apologies for the ramble. I’ve got some reading/planning to do.

Cheers,
Lumen

lasta

Blade Biter
Welcome from Shanghai!

Once you get settled in, you'll find that there is a wide range of goodies available locally.

American brands of yesteryear are harder to come by but kamisoris are very easy to get on the Salt Fish (ebay/Kijiji) platform.

You can also buy from Japan directly. Ships faster and cheaper, 75% chance of no duties levied lol.

Welcome from Shanghai!

Once you get settled in, you'll find that there is a wide range of goodies available locally.

American brands of yesteryear are harder to come by but kamisoris are very easy to get on the Salt Fish (ebay/Kijiji) platform.

You can also buy from Japan directly. Ships faster and cheaper, 75% chance of no duties levied lol.

Man, that’s fantastic to hear! I’ll have to spend some more time looking around. We live up in the frigid NE near the Russian border.

We have some family in Japan, I believe we’re stopping in Tokyo on our return trip back to China. I might be able to bring some goodies back with me. I’ll look into ordering directly as well.

Really appreciate the warm welcome and information!

Hello and welcome to B & B!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
Man, that’s fantastic to hear! I’ll have to spend some more time looking around. We live up in the frigid NE near the Russian border.

We have some family in Japan, I believe we’re stopping in Tokyo on our return trip back to China. I might be able to bring some goodies back with me. I’ll look into ordering directly as well.

Really appreciate the warm welcome and information!

Thanks for the warm welcome!
I don't know where you came from, but you just decided to move to where hell froze over!

And this is coming from a long term Canadian resident!

Hi and welcome to B&B.

Thanks for the warm welcome Dave!

I don't know where you came from, but you just decided to move to where hell froze over!

And this is coming from a long term Canadian resident!

I’m originally from Oregon in the NW US, but my wife and I bought a house in Kentucky on some land in the country. Definitely nothing like I cold I feel up there! It was -30c not long ago!

Glad to see some B&B members in China. I'm living down in the South in Shenzhen & Hong Kong. It's much warmer here even in the winter.

I also just recently joined the forum. I learn every day. Everybody is very welcoming and incredibly helpful. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I’ve decided it’s time to make the jump over to a straight razor/kamisori.

Nihao! and welcome to Badger & Blade.

Have you considered a kamisori shavette? If you can get decent blades for it that might be an option. Or maybe a first step?

I have and can recommend the Feather SR Kamisori, which takes an AC blade. I don't use it much these days but it's probably my favourite of the various shavettes have. I came to prefer kamisori style over western style because as a head shaver it's nice to see where my blade is. I know a lot of Asian product uses some odd blades, so you might have to do a little matching of blades you can get to any such razor you buy.

Otherwise, if you're willing to put in the time on a good regular kamisori razor, you'll likely have better edges than you may be able to buy locally.

O.H.

Top Bottom