What's new

Great Blade Face Off - Astra Superior Platinum vs Polsilver Super Iridium

Are you using new stock blades? I need to get some.

Yes...my Polsilver stash is all current production (PPI Russia factory).

Just the most wonderful blade in the market!...based on the combination of my tough stubble and easily flared up skin.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yes...my Polsilver stash is all current production (PPI Russia factory).

Just the most wonderful blade in the market!...based on the combination of my tough stubble and easily flared up skin.
Sounds like my skin, someday. How do they compare to GSB's? I may have to get some. An awesome gent on here sent me a couple vintage and my mind was blown.

^ GSBs may be a bit sharper than Polsilvers and it might be easier to get a BBS shave. The Polsilver is a bit smoother and more forgiving, and my face feels better afterwards. I like Polsilvers better but not by much. imho GSBs are not all that different than Polsilvers. Everything I just described is really at the margins. If Gillette decided to do an April Fools Joke and switch the labeling on the two blades, I doubt all that many people would notice.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
^ imho, GSBs are not that different than Polsilvers. Everything I just described is really at the margins. If Gillette decided to do an April Fools Joke and switch the labeling on the two blades, I doubt all that many people would notice.
I think you are absolutely right.

Sounds like my skin, someday. How do they compare to GSB's? I may have to get some. An awesome gent on here sent me a couple vintage and my mind was blown.

Polsilver is generally regarded as the sharper of the two.
From my personal experience, the Polsilver is definitely sharper than GSB, Nacet, Indian Blacks.
These 3 blades are pretty good and I can get a close, comfortable shave from them.
However, the Polsilver gets me that extra close, glass like finish BBS which I chase daily.
My skin is very easily flared up so I can't go beyond a certain number of strokes with the razor so the Polsilver fits the bill perfectly for me as I can do my set number of passes, which is basically guaranteed not to irritate my skin and the Polsilver gives me the result I want in this set number of passes/strokes.

The added bonus being I get a full week of shaves from Polsilver (and sometimes up to 10 shaves depending on my skin). All other blades (that are usable to begin with) give me 3 shaves.

Some people regard GSB and Nacet sharper but for my stubble, these two are definitely less sharp than the Polsilver as I can never get that ultra close shave with these blades.

To give an idea of how much I adore the Polsiver blade...I stocked up on 7,000 of them over a 3 year period. I will not use any other DE blade and didn't want to take the chance of these not being available because I know that no other blade will give me the results of the Polsilver.

To give an idea of how much I adore the Polsiver blade...I stocked up on 7,000 of them over a 3 year period. I will not use any other DE blade and didn't want to take the chance of these not being available because I know that no other blade will give me the results of the Polsilver.

And here I thought I was all that with my collection of 500 Iridium Supers and 200 Pols LOL I can't imagine using anywhere near 7,000 razor blades in my remaining lifespan :001_cool:

And here I thought I was all that with my collection of 500 Iridium Supers and 200 Pols LOL I can't imagine using anywhere near 7,000 razor blades in my remaining lifespan :001_cool:

I openly admit it's overkill but I didn't want to take any chances! I was set with 5,000 (a century of daily shaving for me) but then I had nagging thoughts that it's too borderline!...so added another 2,000 last year.

I know I'll teach my future son/daughter DE shaving so i'm sure the blades will get used up. I just need to keep them away from moisture for a very long time!

I openly admit it's overkill but I didn't want to take any chances! I was set with 5,000 (a century of daily shaving for me) but then I had nagging thoughts that it's too borderline!...so added another 2,000 last year.

I know I'll teach my future son/daughter DE shaving so i'm sure the blades will get used up. I just need to keep them away from moisture for a very long time!

By the time your future son is shaving, they'll be doing it with an app, or an Amazon drone will stop by to shave him each morning. :001_302:

GSB are not even as sharp as Polsilvers, let alone being sharper. But YMMV !!
I find the GSB to be upmarket version of Voshkhods, they are plenty smooth and die by 3rd shave. But at least they work better than Nacets for me. Nacet is one blade I just could not make it work for me in spite of being very sharp. It just feels like dragging a leaf rake across my cheeks no matter what number of shave it is on.
That said I have tough beard and only 3 blades find rotation with me are Indian Blacks, Feathers and Polsilvers.

Top Bottom