What's new

The Chinese "Matgicol" Super Platinum

I ordered a 200 pack of the Jifuli two hours ago. List price was $11 and change. I piggybacked them on an order for a Yaqi Bohemian.
View attachment 1768309
They only had 3 of those left, on sale, so can you blame me?

And Aliexpress does this "coin" thing where they award you daily coins for checking in and browsing. It is an "operant conditioning" psychological manipulation, but I had enough coins amassed that the 200 Jifuli blades were free and there's no shipping. So why not?

I'm thinking I need to do some kind of a 12 step sabbatical on shaving purchases this new year.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change..."
I have one and enjoy it as a break from the normal lineup. The open comb and blade gap provides an efficient shave. However, the rounded comb teeth and adjustable blade gap (flipping the plate) allow for a surprisingly smooth and forgiving experience, I expect even for sensitive skin. I almost think cuts are impossible (haven't tested that). Its large size and weight might not be for everyone though, I was surprised at its heft initially. I use the more aggressive side of the plate and have had no drama.

I also have ordered a bunch of different Chinese blades to test. Been testing some Shield razors (Avenger AC and Defender DE) and see quality and workmanship up there with Blackland. I suspect they can mfg with the best when they want to (then the prices come up). Hoping it will be true of some of the blades coming in.

I am currently planning out a Chinese blade research project - here is the line up so far. I am still research as to whether the Appaches are really Chinese as well as the Qshaves. Trying to track down the manufacturer behind a brand is hard. I am testing the blades in 4 razors - Qshave classic, Merkur 34C, Muhle R41, and iKon X3. I use the Treet Balck Beauties as a baseline for comparison.
20231230_150955.jpg

Here is what I have figured out so far (from the blade database I have been building):
Manufacturer
Name
Origin
Price per 100
Comments
Unknown
WMARK Stainless Steel
China
$11.45​
Jiangxi Huyidao Industrial Co., Ltd
PearlMax Platinum Stainless Steel
China
$6.00​
Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
FlyDear Super Platinum
China
$5.42​
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., Ltd
Jifuli Platinum Edge
China
$6.38​
Ming Shi
Ming Shi
China
$10.50​
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., Ltd (
RZR Iguetta Blue/Jifliio
China
$10.00​
Ningbo Haward Razor Co., Ltd.
Haward Stainless
China
$10.00​
Yi Wu Baolai Razor Co., Ltd
RZR Iguetta Platinum Edge
China
$18.50​
Unknown
RhinoSwiss Stainless
China
$10.00​
Magticol Super Stainless
China
$10.00​
Is a brand, actual manufacturer is Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Matgicol Swedish Quality
China
$9.00​
Is a brand, actual manufacturer is Jiangxi Xirui Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
Zhangjiagang Meian Metal Products Co., Ltd
Suneko “My Way” Double Edge Razor Blade
China
$9.00​
Bailli shaving products Co., Ltd.
Baili Super Blue
China
$7.67​
Weishi
Yintal Stock Blades
China

Most likely Weishi Stainless
Weishi
Weishi Extra Stainless
China
$24.00​
Is a brand, actual manufacturer is unknown
Vikings Blade
Viking Hot
China
$28.00​
Sharp
Rockwell Swedish Stainless Steel
China
$17.49​
Gillette
King C. Gillette
China
$19.95​
Shanghai Cloud Blade Manufacturing Co. Ltd.

Cloud Stainless Steel
China
$6.56​

I have 200 Jifuli blades somewhere in the Eastern Time Zone, headed to me.

I thought about doing something similar to your idea, but figured I'd be disappointed more often than pleased.

So far, I've relegated the PearlMax to one and done shower shavers to hit the back of the neck, etc.

The Matgicols are tolerable, but not worth seeking out and buying in bulk when better is available.

The Suneko Amorphous Diamonds I consider to be a match with some of the better stuff Russia produces.

The Rockwells are probably about like a Shark. I just wish I'd known that before I bought 100 of them, retail, for $18.

I have 200 Jifuli blades somewhere in the Eastern Time Zone, headed to me.

I thought about doing something similar to your idea, but figured I'd be disappointed more often than pleased.

So far, I've relegated the PearlMax to one and done shower shavers to hit the back of the neck, etc.

The Matgicols are tolerable, but not worth seeking out and buying in bulk when better is available.

The Suneko Amorphous Diamonds I consider to be a match with some of the better stuff Russia produces.

The Rockwells are probably about like a Shark. I just wish I'd known that before I bought 100 of them, retail, for $18.
I don't have high hopes for the PearlMax. Used a new one to test out the digital microscope and it was already showing oxidation.

I don't have high hopes for the PearlMax. Used a new one to test out the digital microscope and it was already showing oxidation.
Digital microscope?

Will that have the magnification to determine if the Suneko "Amorphous Diamond" does actually have an industrial diamond coating?

Digital microscope?

Will that have the magnification to determine if the Suneko "Amorphous Diamond" does actually have an industrial diamond coating?
Still playing so I don't know. Magnification is listed as up to 1600X. Could probably tell there is a coating but not what kind. I'll start experimenting with Suneko next week and post pictures.

Digital microscope?

Here are my first Suneko shots. Notice one side of the blade has "clumps". Guessing that is bad application of the coating. Also attached shot of Treet Carbon for comparison.

Attachments

• Photo_2024-01-02 12_31_09_334.JPG
    Photo_2024-01-02 12_31_09_334.JPG
    650.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo_2024-01-02 12_28_06_014.JPG
    Photo_2024-01-02 12_28_06_014.JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo_2024-01-02 12_21_47_331.JPG
    Photo_2024-01-02 12_21_47_331.JPG
    399.4 KB · Views: 46
Here are my first Suneko shots. Notice one side of the blade has "clumps". Guessing that is bad application of the coating. Also attached shot of Treet Carbon for comparison.
Why do you posses a x1600 magnification digital microscope in the first place?

And why does this make me think you work in some "Andromeda Strain" hyper-sterile underground laboratory?

My intuition is that the Sunekos tend to side towards sharpness over smoothness.

First shave with the Suneko blade and my Qshave Classic ( one of my blade test razors, others are Merkur 34C, Muhle 41R, iKon X3 then do 4 shaves each). Frankly surprised. 3 pass BBS. I'll get pictures in the morning.

Okay, 12 hours later I'm impressed. I've never gotten that good a shave from the Qshave classic short handle. It's almost still BBS 12 hours later. I still have to go through the other 3 razors but I suspect it's going be high on the Chinese list and might give my favorites a run. BTW, here is the after shave photo. The coating (I think that is what it is) has clearly smoothed out. Makes me think second shave will be better yet.
1000001059.jpg

Top Bottom