What's new

For us poor folk

Great suggestion!

Your last statement made me wonder, what I thought was a funny thought, but, well, if everyone smelled the same would we actually smell anything? Or would we be so overexposed to the scent, that we would all become "blind" to it?

The majority of teenage guys I was stuck in classes with at one time seemed to like drowning in Axe and it made me nauseated whenever I'd get a migraine. We probably would get used to the scent, but everyone smelled pretty bad in the ancient world, I'd imagine, and they still tried to cover up BO, so I don't know.

It's just the thought of that much cologne all over makes me a tad nauseated. I just envision a big cologne/perfume cloud.

The majority of teenage guys I was stuck in classes with at one time seemed to like drowning in Axe . . .

My younger brother, who is 24, loves Axe original and douses himself in it whenever he goes out. I've been trying to gateway him by gifting Eternity for Men by CK, which he does use, but he's pretty locked into Axe. He also likes American Crew cologne spray, which isn't any better imo. I can see the appeal of these things for teenagers, but they aren't cost effective in the least, and frankly I think they just smell synthetic and loud. Anyone over 21 should avoid them I would say . . . but then again, to each his own.

My younger brother, who is 24, loves Axe original and douses himself in it whenever he goes out. I've been trying to gateway him by gifting Eternity for Men by CK, which he does use, but he's pretty locked into Axe. He also likes American Crew cologne spray, which isn't any better imo. I can see the appeal of these things for teenagers, but they aren't cost effective in the least, and frankly I think they just smell synthetic and loud. Anyone over 21 should avoid them I would say . . . but then again, to each his own.

Maybe someday he'll get tired of it, but he's not likely to change without good reason. If he smells like he drowns in it though, maybe you could tactfully tell him that people get sick from strong odors. That would at least make it so he could enjoy it and not make anyone else irritated. I have professors that I -really- want to ask to wear less cologne because the smell makes me sick and I sit in the front row (300 some person lecture) even though the smell isn't bad.

I know this won't ever happen, but I'd love for people to go back to perfumeries and places that use essential oils because they're a lot less horrible and you can decide for yourself how strong you want the scent to be.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I use Benjamin's Bay Rum and also Limacol, which I picked up at a local West Indian store for $3-4 a bottle. SWMBO initially frowned upon it as it was used in her childhood as medication, but now she likes the smell of them on me.

Maybe someday he'll get tired of it, but he's not likely to change without good reason. If he smells like he drowns in it though, maybe you could tactfully tell him that people get sick from strong odors.

I think the only thing that would change his ways is the discovery of some truly divine juice, very likely over $100. And I'm in the wrong forum to go there! :biggrin1:

You're right though, strong and especially synthetic odors can turn people's stomachs. I wonder how people got by in the '80s with all the powerhouses that were popular.

But back on topic - here's a cheapie that I tried today that I'll write a review on, and urge you to try: One Man Show by Jacques Bogart. I've never smelled anything quite like it, although the very top of Sung Homme has similarities, but not much really because I hate Sung Homme. OMS I thought I'd hate with a passion, but it really surprised me. Synthetics on top, mixed with a very natural-smelling basil - how they manage to make that sniffable is a feat of its own - and underlying raw incense and tobacco that eventually steps up full force and joins the nasty top and middle all the way through to a softer and utterly masculine drydown. You can get this in a 3.4 oz bottle for $7 on Amazon, and honestly it's worth ten times that.

The majority of teenage guys I was stuck in classes with at one time seemed to like drowning in Axe and it made me nauseated whenever I'd get a migraine.

Axe or Old Spice body spray, and 20-35 unwashed teenage bodies, it's the wonderful smell of Freshman classrooms across America!! :lol::lol:

The majority of teenage guys I was stuck in classes with at one time seemed to like drowning in Axe and it made me nauseated whenever I'd get a migraine. We probably would get used to the scent, but everyone smelled pretty bad in the ancient world, I'd imagine, and they still tried to cover up BO, so I don't know.

It's just the thought of that much cologne all over makes me a tad nauseated. I just envision a big cologne/perfume cloud.

Yes, seriously I agree with you. I don't think we'd get used to the smell, or at least I don't think we'd get to where we like it or even don't notice it. We'd probably just stay at a low level of nausea all the time.

Top Bottom