What's new

For us poor folk

Great recommendations on the more cost effective frags. Don't forget the EDT offerings of SCS. Great stuff at a very nice price point.

I have to second that. St. Charles Shave EDT's are great, I have several and wear them much of the time, plus you know you won't smell like everyone else wearing one of their frags. I would also recommend Agua Lavanda Puig and Pino Sivestre as great cheap options which are not common.

I don't imagine there are too many teachers out there wearing Creed Green Irish Tweed!! :lol::lol:

Well if they want to, they could just wear Cool Water. After hearing numerous times that Cool Water is a GIT clone I ordered a sample of GIT to do a side-by-side comparison. They are very, very, very similar. I doubt I could tell them apart in a "blind sniff test". :biggrin1:

Well if they want to, they could just wear Cool Water. After hearing numerous times that Cool Water is a GIT clone I ordered a sample of GIT to do a side-by-side comparison. They are very, very, very similar. I doubt I could tell them apart in a "blind sniff test". :biggrin1:

Woot!! Just what I always wanted: spend $180 to smell like every other bloke out there on the street!! No Thanks!!

Personally, I am not a huge fan of aquatics; they smell rather bland to me. However, they are good for work use, as they about as unoffensive as you can get. :001_tongu

No love for good ol' Curve here, eh? By far it's been my favorite scent, even compared to many higher-end frags. Plus, I like it as much now as I did when I first sniffed it; replay value ranks pretty high in my book.

Although I guess I should add that my second favorite frag is Baxter's Bravado no. 2.

I like Royal Copenhagen a nice manly scent that does not require refinancing your home to get.:thumbup:

Royal Copenhagen and its brother Royal Copenhagen Musk, Avon Wild Country and Pierre Cardin are some nice choices. If you Like Tabac EDC 10oz ~$23.00, Crisp &Clean :001_tt1:

No love for good ol' Curve here, eh? By far it's been my favorite scent, even compared to many higher-end frags. Plus, I like it as much now as I did when I first sniffed it; replay value ranks pretty high in my book.

Although I guess I should add that my second favorite frag is Baxter's Bravado no. 2.

I see Curve a lot in places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx, but I've never smelled it. I'm also not familiar with the Baxter's. But of course, now I'm curious. What do these smell like?

Woot!! Just what I always wanted: spend $180 to smell like every other bloke out there on the street!! No Thanks!!

Personally, I am not a huge fan of aquatics; they smell rather bland to me. However, they are good for work use, as they about as unoffensive as you can get. :001_tongu

On the plus side of opting for Cool Water, it seems to be fading in popularity. I doesn't get much billing in department stores anymore--lots of places don't seem to carry it. And it's very cheap at discount places like JR Cigar.

Here are a few of my favorites, all well within the not-too-expensive category:
L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent - My wife's current favorite on me
The One by Dolce and Gabanna
CK Free by Calvin Klein
Pinaud Citrus Musk

There are lots of great scents and suggestions out there, so don't be afraid to try something new. Have fun with it!

Dave

On the plus side of opting for Cool Water, it seems to be fading in popularity. I doesn't get much billing in department stores anymore--lots of places don't seem to carry it. And it's very cheap at discount places like JR Cigar.

It's on my list of items to try.

I can get a small bottle from Target for about $14. If nothing else, I want to see how close my Wal-Mart knock off Cool Water (a product called Team Extreme; but I got it at Big Lots instead discounted to $6) smells to the real thing.

Another nod for those Caron frags.

Also, I just started going back to the classics that were over used and became a cliche. I picked up Cool Water a few months ago and it had been years since I used it and it smelled very similar to Creed Irish Tweed. Also, picked up Aramis, Fahrenheit, Polo and have been curious to see if Drakkar Noir is something I still like.

I picked up a bottle of Quorum EDT and a combination Cologne and AS of Paul Sebastaion at TJ Maxx. Tax included it was under $25 total. I'm seriously thinking of picking up more PS. I'm not totally sure if its the cologne or the AS but I really like it.

Last edited:
Azmark,
I also recently went back to my favorites as a jr high schooler. I bought Drakkar and Polo. I immediately returned the Drakkar (it stinks) and I should have returned the Polo. Also stinks.. like a fir tree dipped in burnt motor oil. I like my Chanel Bleu (expensive though), and Tommy.

Last edited:
If you live near a big city of some form, see if you have a perfumery or something like it. The one by where I live will either help you create your own smell that you like for a cologne or recreate (as is possible) the smell of one you bring to them. I did this for my boyfriend for Christmas (he picked the smell) and it was $11 for a roll-on cologne that will last him probably a year and is absolutely marvelous to the both of us. And it's made from essential oils so it's a lot higher quality than some of the fragrances.

There are definitely cheaper versions that smell marvelous so look until you find something you like rather than what's popular to most people. If everyone smelled the same it would be nauseating.

If you live near a big city of some form, see if you have a perfumery or something like it. The one by where I live will either help you create your own smell that you like for a cologne or recreate (as is possible) the smell of one you bring to them. I did this for my boyfriend for Christmas (he picked the smell) and it was $11 for a roll-on cologne that will last him probably a year and is absolutely marvelous to the both of us. And it's made from essential oils so it's a lot higher quality than some of the fragrances.

There are definitely cheaper versions that smell marvelous so look until you find something you like rather than what's popular to most people. If everyone smelled the same it would be nauseating.

Great suggestion!

Your last statement made me wonder, what I thought was a funny thought, but, well, if everyone smelled the same would we actually smell anything? Or would we be so overexposed to the scent, that we would all become "blind" to it?

I've been reading your reviews here with great interest. I don't really know much yet about this topic, but I've noticed the price range for most of the "favorite scents" is on the high end. There is no way I'm going to spend $100-$200 for a fragrance. That gets my two kids into a little league. Are there fragrances in the $$ range instead of the $$$ and $$$$ range? Can you list some of your $$ favorites for us newcomers?

Thanks

You bring up a good point. I have throttled back on my scent expenditures. I no longer feel the need to spend more than $100 for a scent. I take price into consideration when I buy a new scent. I am currently exploring older classic scents and most of them fall below $100.

Top Bottom