What's new

What are some high end/premium slants?

So some quick comparison, an Above the Tie 2014 S1 (uneven blade exposure to the cap for the first year only but from what I read some people said it was more aggressive in a good way) then the superslant and the 37.

the above the tie just gives it a slight twist. It doesn't dive the blade “straight down” like most slants but seems to give it some extra stability and efficiency.
IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

the big upside is the head profile is much smaller. It’s mild but very efficient with a sharp blade. My other slants I use a Permasharp in, the above the tie I can use a sharper Polsilver SI in.

I bounce between a lot of razors so I don’t have a solid daily driver these days but this took on the task and was a regular in my rotation for a long time.

Actually, the Monster Series slant geometries do differ although PAA does not address it in their marketing copy. The Filament has a milder twist than my El Fantasma and the Blue Phantom has a more aggressive twist than these both. So, there are performance differences, just FYI. Like @Phoenixkh described, I also prefer the Filament, but it does not glow like the ELF.

Also, you should skim through this thread as every imaginable slant is probably displayed and discussed in detail. Just skip ahead a few pages to get past the sign up sheets.

That's fascinating! I wonder why they aren't even mentioning the differences between them. The fact that I hadn't seen anything led me to believe well it must just be a matter of colours! 🤔 I'd have thought they'd have at least mentioned

Well I ordered the Filament earlier today anyways. As you folks seem to like it best out of the bunch!

I've need to purchase a brush from another store that stocks them and I maybe pick up some of the others too. I was thinking of grabbing the green sparkly one, El Criatura I think, the blue one.. Phantom Blue and finally the new glow in the dark one also, the "El Fantasma.

I'd never really paid them much attention in the past, I thought they looked really cool and I liked the sort of spooky marketing.. I just wasn't sure about the idea of plastic for a razor!

I know they're reasonably priced at only £20 odd quid but then again you can get a Razorock with a solid stainless handle for that! 🤭 Speaking of which, I really like the Razorock German 37.. I wonder if any of these would be even somewhat comparable to it and if so which one.

Maybe I should wait until the Filament arrives and see what I think of it first. At least it'll give me an idea of what I'm dealing with. I'm assuming they're always readily available to buy from PAA? The only thing is a lot of sales are running at the moment. Seems like the Monster Series (or any PAA for that matter) are hard to get in UK but a few of the US stores stock them as well as direct from PAA.

So some quick comparison, an Above the Tie 2014 S1 (uneven blade exposure to the cap for the first year only but from what I read some people said it was more aggressive in a good way) then the superslant and the 37.

the above the tie just gives it a slight twist. It doesn't dive the blade “straight down” like most slants but seems to give it some extra stability and efficiency. View attachment 1752179
View attachment 1752180
the big upside is the head profile is much smaller. It’s mild but very efficient with a sharp blade. My other slants I use a Permasharp in, the above the tie I can use a sharper Polsilver SI in.

I bounce between a lot of razors so I don’t have a solid daily driver these days but this took on the task and was a regular in my rotation for a long time.

Thank you! By the way, which handle is that on the 37? It looks quite nice! Mine came with the HD handle which is fine but I like the look of the Barber's Pole ones much better. I might pick one of those up and use the HD for something else. I maybe get a couple of handles from Maggards or somewhere I want one for an R41 too.. I know a lot of people seem to use a different handle with the R41 rather than the stock Muhle one.

By the way, I really like the 37.. I was very impressed with it. I thought it was a great razor. I'm not sure how to put this in words but I like how the base plate/bar extends down and almost lays flat.. looking at it from the side almost like a gambrel roof.. and how there's so much "face" or slope with the cap and bar combined it's almost like a flat surface. I find it very nice and comfortable to shave with.. very smooth too. I was so pleasantly surprised by that razor.. it out shaved much more expensive ones IMO!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Maybe you can consider machining a Fasan replacement. I'd far rather have one made from stainless. :)

Radically helical; open comb. EZ;PZ -- it's so simple. All you need is a couple million dollars worth of CNC tooling and a willingness to keep breaking things until you get it sorted.

But I hear ya! :thumbup1:

O.H.

Thank you! By the way, which handle is that on the 37? It looks quite nice! Mine came with the HD handle which is fine but I like the look of the Barber's Pole ones much better. I might pick one of those up and use the HD for something else. I maybe get a couple of handles from Maggards or somewhere I want one for an R41 too.. I know a lot of people seem to use a different handle with the R41 rather than the stock Muhle one.
The two barber poles were made by an Artisan that went by “UFO” years ago. The center is his colibri model that comes up for sale in BST sometimes. The far right is the Kaiser “fine” model which was never formally offered for sale by him. His regular kaisers come up sometimes but not without the finer knurling.

The two barber poles were made by an Artisan that went by “UFO” years ago. The center is his colibri model that comes up for sale in BST sometimes. The far right is the Kaiser “fine” model which was never formally offered for sale by him. His regular kaisers come up sometimes but not without the finer knurling.

Oh thank you for that! Wasn't that guy based in Spain or somewhere? I actually saw one of his handles come up for sale a while back on eBay for very little.. it was in a little clear plastic box/case. I think there was a leaflet inside like a certificate of authenticity. I think it was unused. I regret not buying it but I didn't really know or need it at the time.

Radically helical; open comb. EZ;PZ -- it's so simple. All you need is a couple million dollars worth of CNC tooling and a willingness to keep breaking things until you get it sorted.

But I hear ya! :thumbup1:

O.H.
Hi,

Well, they already have the CNC machines as that's how the ATT Stainless products were made. All they need now is a reprogramming.

And a few tries to get that programming to match.

Not too bad. Far easier than the next generation of cellular network I'm wrenching on. ;)

Stan

Well I ordered the Filament earlier today anyways. As you folks seem to like it best out of the bunch!
I used my Filament today after talking about it so much in this thread, just to confirm my thoughts. And yes, for three days growth with a Nacet blade on its 11th use, it really does give a great shave. I was dreading the alum block expecting a lot of sting from a well used blade for a three day shave (I am typically a two day shaver) and I was amazed to feel absolutely NOTHING, no sting whatsoever.

But you really do need to pay attention to your pressure as the razor is featherlight and you may feel the urge to press hard. You only need enough pressure to keep the blade on the face. Heavier metal razors benefit from their weight so it is an adjustment you will need to be aware of. Curious to hear your experience.

I used my Filament today after talking about it so much in this thread, just to confirm my thoughts. And yes, for three days growth with a Nacet blade on its 11th use, it really does give a great shave. I was dreading the alum block expecting a lot of sting from a well used blade for a three day shave (I am typically a two day shaver) and I was amazed to feel absolutely NOTHING, no sting whatsoever.

But you really do need to pay attention to your pressure as the razor is featherlight and you may feel the urge to press hard. You only need enough pressure to keep the blade on the face. Heavier metal razors benefit from their weight so it is an adjustment you will need to be aware of. Curious to hear your experience.

I'll look forward to it! Do you like the ABS plastic? Does it seem like it would hold up well? 🙂

I saw a few pictures of Filament razor online, and it may have been just trick of light due to the transparency, but it looked like there was minor hairline crack coming out from the side where the screw post is seated in the top cap.. when viewed from underneath.

I wonder is this maybe typical due to the molding process when the screw post is being set? Or would it be more likely someone has overtightened it or something? I know with some plastics we get harmless hairline cracks.. like sometimes seen in poly used to coat guitars.

Actually the one in the listing on the store I bought the Filament from, their display picture, it even seemed to have like a hairline crack.. if this is not typical, I hope it was just a display model and not the one they send me. 🤭

Funny thing I've saw the same thing occasionally on some old Fasan razors on auction sites too. It made me wonder is it just a common thing on razors made of such plastics.

ATT closed up its shop earlier this year. They sort of started the CNC stainless steel razor trend many moons ago, if I have my facts correct. I'm open to correction, if I have that wrong.

Shane, the owner of Blackland Razors decided to buy their company with its designs because he felt they were too important to the wet shaving community to see them gone for good.

I think Tradere was out a touch before ATT got their Titan H1 out, but only by a few months, iirc. Another brand that Shane has helped bring out of history.

I'll look forward to it! Do you like the ABS plastic? Does it seem like it would hold up well? 🙂

I saw a few pictures of Filament razor online, and it may have been just trick of light due to the transparency, but it looked like there was minor hairline crack coming out from the side where the screw post is seated in the top cap.. when viewed from underneath.

I wonder is this maybe typical due to the molding process when the screw post is being set? Or would it be more likely someone has overtightened it or something? I know with some plastics we get harmless hairline cracks.. like sometimes seen in poly used to coat guitars.

Actually the one in the listing on the store I bought the Filament from, their display picture, it even seemed to have like a hairline crack.. if this is not typical, I hope it was just a display model and not the one they send me. 🤭

Funny thing I've saw the same thing occasionally on some old Fasan razors on auction sites too. It made me wonder is it just a common thing on razors made of such plastics.
Now that you mention it, I think ABS is pretty durable and stable in general and can last for decades if protected from UV. But I think it can also be fragile during the manufacturing and fitting out process. For example with these pressed in threaded fittings everything has to be aligned and prepared perfectly. One of my handles came with this fracture at the threaded insert, visible at 6 o'clock on top, but PAA promptly replaced it and let me keep the fully functional cracked one.

The other lines you may see like the one just below the real fracture are not cracks but odd reflections.

Hairline.jpg

Last edited:
Now that you mention it, I think ABS is pretty durable and stable in general and can last for decades if protected from UV. But I think it can also be fragile during the manufacturing and fitting out process. For example with these pressed in threaded fittings everything has to be aligned and prepared perfectly. One of my handles came with this fracture at the threaded insert, visible at 6 o'clock on top, but PAA promptly replaced it and let me keep the fully functional cracked one.

The other lines you may see like the one just below the real fracture are not cracks but odd reflections.

View attachment 1754000

Thank you! Yes, that is exactly like what I was talking about.. exactly what I'd noticed in some pictures. That same little crack in the same position, but just on the screw post on the cap rather than the threaded metal insert in the handle like in your picture.
After having seen it in a number of the razors online, and the fact that it happened on your handle, leads me to wonder if it may not be an entirely uncommon occurrence.. however that said, it may be entirely harmless and no more than a little cosmetic flaw due to the nature of the plastic used and maybe an effect the molding process when they are setting the plastic around the fittings.. maybe the cooling or something could result in some little hairline cracks as seen.

Glad to hear, as you note, that your first handle is fully functional. Oddly enough though, I've only noticed these cracks in the Filament models. I'm keen to receive mine so I can inspect if it has any.. Did you purchase yours direct from PAA?

Hello guy, I'm back as I'm thinking I might pick up a Wunderbar!

Just a few things I was wondering about.. are the handles for the Wunderbar, Superslant etc just the same 316 stainless handles that comes on the less expensive Razorock razors like the German 37, the SLOC etc? So the value of the Wunderbar and Superslant is in the head?

I see you can buy the head on it's own but it's only like $10-$20 less.

There's three or four stainless handle options plus a titanium ones also. Not really sure which would be the better option. I think the super grip or whatever it's called seems to be the sort of standard choice.

I'm leaning towards the Wunderbar as from what I've read I think I'd like it. Plus it's just one option.. the Superslant has so many different combinations.. L1, L2, L3 then different baseplates in each one to refine it even more. Too much decision making for me!

Has anyone here tried both the German 37 and the Wunderbar? If so, are they similar?

I really love my German 37.. it's actually one of my favourite razors and probably one that cost least of all. I find myself going back to it all the time. I used Rex Ambassador, AS-D2 and others this week.. I found I prefer the German 37 over them. 😆 It works better for me.

As I like the German 37 so much I'd just like to get a similar razor just a "premium" version.. higher quality, better material. Not that there's anything wrong with German 37.. I think it's great. But you know how we are in this hobby. 🤭 That's what has me looking at Wunderbar!

Haven’t tried the wonderbar, I just went into thr middle withe L2 superslant and it seems to do well. I imagine if I got finicky the L2+ would be better suited for me personally as I’ve tried to L2++ and it requires a slighter finer touch that I’d prefer to avoid but enjoy the larger blade gap.

Haven’t tried the wonderbar, I just went into thr middle withe L2 superslant and it seems to do well. I imagine if I got finicky the L2+ would be better suited for me personally as I’ve tried to L2++ and it requires a slighter finer touch that I’d prefer to avoid but enjoy the larger blade gap.

Thank you! Do you know, are the handles on the higher end Razorocks the same as the ones on the lower? I'm guessing they must be!

Like if you buy a German 37 at $20 with HD handle and you buy a Wunderbar at $140 with HD handle.. I wonder are those two handles the exact same, made to the same standard, and all the $120 extra cost of the Wunderbar is in the head. 🤔

I'm tempted to pick up a Wunderbar while they're still available. They do have these Titanium handles out also.. a UFO one and another 100mm one. I tend to like the SS handles so I'm thinking I'd go with one of those. They have super knurl, HD and UFO in the stainless options.

Thank you! Do you know, are the handles on the higher end Razorocks the same as the ones on the lower? I'm guessing they must be!

Like if you buy a German 37 at $20 with HD handle and you buy a Wunderbar at $140 with HD handle.. I wonder are those two handles the exact same, made to the same standard, and all the $120 extra cost of the Wunderbar is in the head. 🤔

I'm tempted to pick up a Wunderbar while they're still available. They do have these Titanium handles out also.. a UFO one and another 100mm one. I tend to like the SS handles so I'm thinking I'd go with one of those. They have super knurl, HD and UFO in the stainless options.

Yes, the handles are the same quality for the Wunderbar & G37. The HD handle gives off that classic Merkur look for the G37, but I really like the barberpole for the Wunderbar. Yes, the price diff is in the head (Stainless steel vs zinc alloy). You can also go with the iKon B1 slant for $65 at Maggard (Pictured with the bulldog handle). To me it’s just about identical to the Wunderbar, but DLC coated stainless steel. The Super Knurl is a nice handle if you like longer handles, (90mm). RR also has a nice razor stand.
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg

Last edited:
You can also go with the iKon B1 slant for $65 at Maggard (Pictured with the bulldog handle). To me it’s just about identical to the Wunderbar, but DLC coated stainless steel.
Owning the Superslant and the B1 I often wonder if the Wunderbar is similar to the B1 based on the reviews. I‘ve only read a few that seem to rate the Ikon a tad milder.

That said it can be a bit much with a sharp blade and needs a “medium sharp” blade like a Permasharp to make the most of it.

I may have to play with it some more. So far the L2 super slant is forgiving enough to be a daily.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Owning the Superslant and the B1 I often wonder if the Wunderbar is similar to the B1 based on the reviews. I‘ve only read a few that seem to rate the Ikon a tad milder.
Well, it's way closer to the Superslant.
Might depend on the gap and type, but in general it has many characteristics of the Superslant or the other way round, the Superslant likes shaving steeper though than the Wunderbar.

Top Bottom