What's new

Some help choosing a SLANT razor

Hi Gent,
Quick question...
I'm a fan of the Merkur 37C slant razor but I want to try some other slant razors as well.
Other than the Merkur and Parker semi-slant, are there any other slant bar razors available under $100?
I'm looking for a "real" slant that torques the blade in both directions. I think they call these helical slants.
Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Under $50 is a challenge. The FOCS is a pretty good razor at that price point, which is to say you will likely need to be careful when putting it together to make sure it's lined up. No biggie. The PAA Filament and Monster razors are about half of your limit, so you can buy two of them. :)

O.H.

Under $50 is a challenge. The FOCS is a pretty good razor at that price point, which is to say you will likely need to be careful when putting it together to make sure it's lined up. No biggie. The PAA Filament and Monster razors are about half of your limit, so you can buy two of them. :)

O.H.
How are the the PAA fakelite razors for blade alignment?

I forgot about the Fatip Lo Storto!
Is there a lot of blade play in the Fatip?
I once owned a Fatip OC and it was terrible for blade play, it was difficult to align the blade perfectly every time.

In my case, the blade fits snug in the FOCS. I think Fatip quality has improved in recent years. The tolerances are tighter, the finishes and plating are better. If you do have a problem, you could just do a return for another one.

I think the FOCS is a great razor at a low cost. It shaves very smoothly using blades such as Nacet, Perma-Sharp Super, etc.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I have experience with the El Fantasma and suspect the Monster series are all similar. The blade fits pretty well in mine, though as always worth a quick glance to be sure. I even do that with my Rex Konsul. :)

Better blade fit than Fatip, anyway. Which ain't the worst; I have a couple vintage razors that really need attention.

O.H.

Maggards slant, ikon X3 (mild), ikon B1 ( not mild - not cheap - maybe someone has one used), RR G37 ( yep it is very similar to the merkur - but at least you can change the handle)..
More

BFX

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m a huge fan of the Filament. It easily competes with all my Top Razors. My wife permanently “borrowed “ my first one and they were out of stock. As soon as one was available, I ordered it immediately.

For me, it’s more efficient than the 37C and equally as smooth. A lovely budget razor. I know it’s light, but you can always install a heavier handle, though I no problem adjusting my technique to make it sing.

The blade exposure is very uneven across the cap, but fairly even across the combs. Also the blade edge ends up ever so slightly curved. If you are a little OCD about that, then pass, because you may end up tightening it too much and cracking the cap. It does not affect the shave in the least. Still the closest shaving razor I own.

The blade exposure is very uneven across the cap, but fairly even across the combs. Also the blade edge ends up ever so slightly curved. If you are a little OCD about that, then pass, because you may end up tightening it too much and cracking the cap. It does not affect the shave in the least. Still the closest shaving razor I own.
Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. I am a little OCD about that sort of thing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Depends on the what aggression a person wants, for $50 US the Razorock German 37 torsional slant or the Yaqi Slope torsional type 316SS slant head come to mind and I own those 2 razors. The Razorock German 37 slant is a tame mid range and the Yaqi slope torsion type slant is a milder razor head ( use a Kai SS extra wide blade bumps it up and becomes a tame mid range slant). The Yaqi slope slant is well made and can be like shaving with a normal razor almost but is efficient IMO.

I honestly don't pay much attention to the blade alignment on my Filament and El Fantasma as the geometry is so complicated with their helical twists, that I am not sure what to align. Regardless, both are truly great shavers for $26.95.

As for my Fatip Lo Storto, I guess I lucked out and got a "defective" specimen with wonky top cap posts that makes it impossible for me to adjust the blade or top cap. I just load the blade and go. No drama, only great shaves.

Top Bottom