What's new

Blackland osprey...magic? My soul razor? Something else?

So to start I want to say that I've used andbowned a million different razors. Merkur 37c, att x1, black land black bird ti, henson ti, aylsworth, all the karve plates, the overlander, razorock wunderbar, superslant, tatara masamune, nodachi, and muramasa. I've owned the blutt, gamechanger, blackland era, lupo, rex konsul, ikon b1...list goes on. Ive had some great shaves. I've had some terrible ones. I've found razors that I love, that I hate. I've erred towards slants because they feel more efficient and comfortable on my beard. I thought that slants were inherently superior. And yet even with slants I could always feel the shave. I've never had a shave where I though "hmm, is this shaving?" And then it was. Until now.

I purchased the osprey on a whim. Because I knew the era had excellent clamping and I enjoyed it. Despite it being a bargain it was a razor that stood with the likes of blutt and karve. Shane seems like a great guy and I'm also just a slave to chasing the shave dragon. Always looking for something better. I recieved the osprey today expecting the same old solid shave I'd get from any high end cnc razor. But to my shock and pleasure I got the only shave ever that I can say I really didn't feel. And yet...everything twas shaved. I shave my face and head. I have sebhorriec dermatitis and it makes parts of my besrd and hair inflammed and sensitive, especially the top of my scalp and my stache and goattee area. Historically slants have worked best here. But the osprey, somehow, gave me a shave in my goattee region and on the top of my scalpe that I quite literally did not feel. It laughed at my stubble. The chin stubble that just yesterday I was complaining about never quite cutting perfectly smoothly...gone. effortlessly. I'm in awe. I don't understand how this is better than my slants. But whatever blackland did produced a razor I never thought could exist for me. One that gave me a shave I didn't even feel.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
So to start I want to say that I've used andbowned a million different razors. Merkur 37c, att x1, black land black bird ti, henson ti, aylsworth, all the karve plates, the overlander, razorock wunderbar, superslant, tatara masamune, nodachi, and muramasa. I've owned the blutt, gamechanger, blackland era, lupo, rex konsul, ikon b1...list goes on. Ive had some great shaves. I've had some terrible ones. I've found razors that I love, that I hate. I've erred towards slants because they feel more efficient and comfortable on my beard. I thought that slants were inherently superior. And yet even with slants I could always feel the shave. I've never had a shave where I though "hmm, is this shaving?" And then it was. Until now.

I purchased the osprey on a whim. Because I knew the era had excellent clamping and I enjoyed it. Despite it being a bargain it was a razor that stood with the likes of blutt and karve. Shane seems like a great guy and I'm also just a slave to chasing the shave dragon. Always looking for something better. I recieved the osprey today expecting the same old solid shave I'd get from any high end cnc razor. But to my shock and pleasure I got the only shave ever that I can say I really didn't feel. And yet...everything twas shaved. I shave my face and head. I have sebhorriec dermatitis and it makes parts of my besrd and hair inflammed and sensitive, especially the top of my scalp and my stache and goattee area. Historically slants have worked best here. But the osprey, somehow, gave me a shave in my goattee region and on the top of my scalpe that I quite literally did not feel. It laughed at my stubble. The chin stubble that just yesterday I was complaining about never quite cutting perfectly smoothly...gone. effortlessly. I'm in awe. I don't understand how this is better than my slants. But whatever blackland did produced a razor I never thought could exist for me. One that gave me a shave I didn't even feel.

I too own this razor, and its literally my most favorite razor out of the dozen razors that I own. Its earned itself the top spot, only 2nd to my holy grail razor, a Timeless TI95, simply because its made of titanium. But my SS Osprey demonstrates its resolve, that it will shave my face so smoothly, I will hardly know its there, but the whiskers will know, as they cower in fear, as the blade of destiny hacks them off, and I send them straight down the drain to Davy Jones locker!

I wrote a full review on this razor and included pictures. But please note, I was an early adopter of the Osprey, which means that I own V1 of the razor, not V2 or V3. And if you most recently purchased an Osprey razor, then you most likely have the V3 version. There are only minor differences between them. For example, the adjustment numbers are hard to see on my model, where on your's they would be in bold black, easy to see.

Shane now has the polished version of the SS out as well, for an extra fee of course. Personally, I appreciate the look of the SS version, its got that grippy feel texture in the handle that I like. Plus, I love the centralized warp core looking brass insert, a look of style, that also serves a function of weight balancing, its literally an engineer's dream I'd think. Since you didn't upload any pictures, I will take the liberty of showing off mine.

Thanks again for your review, and echoing exactly how I feel about mine. This is what I've been saying on the board. Once you got an Osprey, it immediately demotes the rest of your razors. Air speeds alive, positive rate, gear up, Osprey heavy coming through, seagulls move aside. HAHA!

IMG_5911.JPG
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php
IMG_5950.JPG

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

I was an early adopter of the Osprey, which means that I own V1 of the razor, not V2 or V3. And if you most recently purchased an Osprey razor, then you most likely have the V3 version. There are only minor differences between them. For example, the adjustment numbers are hard to see on my model, where on your's they would be in bold black, easy to see.
I have received all communications from Blackland on anything Blackland and yet I must have missed something as I haven't heard of a V3 of the Osprey to date... From what I remember there was V1 which you have and then V2 was released with deeper and painted #'s as well as option for a polished finish, what change made it a V3?

I have received all communications from Blackland on anything Blackland and yet I must have missed something as I haven't heard of a V3 of the Osprey to date... From what I remember there was V1 which you have and then V2 was released with deeper and painted #'s as well as option for a polished finish, what change made it a V3?

I believe V3 is Polished Finished, look getter then tool mark version.

I admit I am intrigued by this razor. I picked up a Yaqi Ultima and it’s a beautiful razor but too blade forward for me on lower settings. I was hoping it would be a mild version of the Rex Ambassador but I’m not a fan. $140 lesson learned. Would love to sell it on but Yaqi razors are not in high demand in BST

Wish I could test drive the Osprey but Shane doesn’t participate in pass arounds. It’s a hell of a lot of money to lay out and like some of the men here, I prefer the weight of titanium over SS.

Right now, I’m shaving with an aluminum Overlander that I picked up used and a Timeless Ti 95 SB.

Happy to hear that a good number of men are enjoying the Osprey. I greatly appreciated the videos that Shane produced as he worked through design and production of this razor.

Memory serves me the polished finish was added with the V2 update so I don't think the finish makes it eligible for a new version #, but I could be wrong!!

@Blackland Razors Is there now a V3 of the Osprey?

We don’t consider there to be a V2 or V3. Making the number engravings deeper is the only change made which is pretty minor. Cosmetic adjustments and new finish options don’t merit a version name in our book. Colloquially, people are free to call it whatever they want, but there are no “official” Osprey version designations from Blackland.

I really hope people don't jump on the gossip train and spread the V1, V2, V1000 nonsence, just like it happend with the original Pearl Flexi after they announced that their second batch is going to be improved a bit in order to fix the misaligment issues of the first batch.

Congrats on acquiring your Osprey but, more importantly, achieving your personal shave nirvana. The Osprey is a fantastic shaver that delivers on quality & performance. And the look of a Blackland razor is unique to the brand. Yeah, I’m biased and a Fanboy but, I don’t give a rats rear. Blackland & excellence are a synonymous pairing in the wet shaving world, period.

Enjoy your shaves for many years to come amigo…. :straight:

Last edited:
With all those razors you have experienced...could it be that you simply had an incidentally exceptional lather and shave? Ironically you pay the premium for the adjustable and likely will be stuck on that setting for eternity...

I wish blackland would figure out how to make a 75$ American made razor again...Or make an honest 100$ razor that isn't a novely luxury item. For that kind of money Shane is charging that top cap and entire body ought to be polished smooth. Those tool marks are ugly, its finish is ugly and its expensive...

I can't knock it till I try it but that price point is a joke...at least Rex razor has parts in stock for a very expensive razor and at least Rex does a knock down polish to smooth out the machine boogers.

For that kind of money I'd want a sexy smooth razor, not anything containing swarf and pock marks from cutting tools.

With all those razors you have experienced...could it be that you simply had an incidentally exceptional lather and shave? Ironically you pay the premium for the adjustable and likely will be stuck on that setting for eternity...

I wish blackland would figure out how to make a 75$ American made razor again...Or make an honest 100$ razor that isn't a novely luxury item. For that kind of money Shane is charging that top cap and entire body ought to be polished smooth. Those tool marks are ugly, its finish is ugly and its expensive...

I can't knock it till I try it but that price point is a joke...at least Rex razor has parts in stock for a very expensive razor and at least Rex does a knock down polish to smooth out the machine boogers.

For that kind of money I'd want a sexy smooth razor, not anything containing swarf and pock marks from cutting tools.

Thanks for your feedback! We just make razors that I think are cool and then we figure out how to sell them. That usually makes them somewhat complicated and expensive, but we haven’t forgotten about our customers looking for more affordable options.

Regarding the Osprey finish, we make a polished version for people who dislike machining marks. We love those marks and happily put them on display for most of our razors.

If I'm locked on the setting that's fine. Half the point of an adjustable is to find the perfect setting and do so with ease. Doubt it's the lather. I almost exclusively use a 15 sec load of martin de candre for every single shave. I wouldn't use a different soap to test the razor. I'm also on my third consecutive day with it and using the same soap and it's as sublime as the first day

Top Bottom