What's new

Feedback/recommendations please....

@Psychtec - Thank you. I spent some years trying different soaps/creams and blades. You asked what I wa impressed with - the shave. Some shaves are good, others are not, so I’m not happy with some shaves. I think some is down to rushing, and applying pressure.

If you are considering investing in yet a razor, I suggest a more aggressive one could be a nice addition to your collection, either the Merkur 37C slant, or the humble Turkish made YUMA if you can find it. Both are quite aggressive and yet smooth, the YUMA being super cheap, but not easy to find. These are two of my daily drivers, I too like daily shaving.

One other suggestion, in terms of technique:
If you like a close shave and yet want to be careful to avoid irritation, one thing I have great success with is touch up buffing on dry skin (look up "buffing" if you don't know that concept). Like, after my three pass shave, I rinse with cold water, apply alum block, let it sit about 30 secs, rinse with cold water again, then let the skin dry completely. Then I go over the dry skin and find remaining patches of stubble and lightly "buff" on dry skin with a slightly wet razor, no soap. Works great for me at least.

@Psychtec - Thank you. I spent some years trying different soaps/creams and blades. You asked what I wa impressed with - the shave. Some shaves are good, others are not, so I’m not happy with some shaves. I think some is down to rushing, and applying pressure.
Inconsistent

I am speaking for myself. We are here to give you recommendations to help you get good shaves. You have to help us, though. In place of thinking out loud when responding to recommendations, give us, more thought out responses. You can do that by answering the following questions more specifically with more details and direction.

How often are you shaving now?
Are you pleased with your current shaves?
How long are your shaves taking?

If possible:
1. ask more specific questions.
2. Not getting a picture of are we being helpful to you or not. The responses we are receiving from you are kinda all over the place.
3. Give us more specifics, more detailed responses so we can be of better benefit

What are your three main specific shaving related issues and how can we best support you?

1. Are you going to keep using one of the three razors you already have?
Yes or no? Which one? What are you using currently?
2. What type of razor interests you, mild, moderate, aggressive, adjustable, non adjustable? Which brand? How can you benefit from the one you choose?
3. Are you practicing your technique more often? Is that Improving your shaving time with less nicks?
4. What is your routine now? 2 pass shave? 3 pass shave? WTG, XTG, ATG?
What is working for you?

Continue to use the resources from this forum to help you get good shaves!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have many thoughts and a brain cramp. I hope I can offer something helpful.

You've been at it for 10 years so you're clearly not a beginner, but I suspect you may have picked up a couple of habits that are not working for you. Most irritation comes from poor razor angle and/or too much pressure. Certainly the easiest way to get consistent quality shaves is with a razor/blade combination that is a good match for your face/beard, but with the correct blade angle and very light pressure you should be able to get bloodless shaves most of the time with just about any razor.

I would not immediately shop for a new razor. If you add up all that you've spent on relatively inexpensive razors you'd have quite a chunk of money, and adding another might not improve your lot one bit at this point. I recommend getting rid of most of the weepers (nicks) first. You'll have to experiment a bit with razor angle and lighten up that pressure. If the razor angle is correct you won't need more pressure. I'd pick my favorite razor from the collection (not an OC) and get a sample of blades to find the one that works best for you and that razor. If you pick a razor on the mild side be sure to try some reasonably sharp razor blades. There are lots of very good soaps and creams that are reasonably priced, and plenty of forum members who use and like them. If you need a new soap/cream tell us what you liked and didn't like so far and a price limit and you'll get many great suggestions.

"I like to be bbs, so usually a 2 pass, sometimes a 3, but I am sometimes left with missed bits or very minute stubble. I want to be able to shave daily/every other day, but sometimes can be 3-4 days." This is all over the ballpark. Daily, every other day, twice a week? We have shavers who shave daily, every other day, twice a week, twice a month and it's all good. But here's where my brain cramp comes in - you want a BBS. This is not the helpful part of the post, in case you hadn't noticed. If you're not going to shave for a day or two (or three) why take the extra risk of the BBS? But do what you like, I get doing a job well.

However, you are going to have to find 7-10 minutes in your schedule to do it. You don't yet have the technique for rushing through the job, unless you have a fondness for bleeding. Get up 10 minutes earlier, shave a night and retire 10 minutes later - however you work it out rushing will not be your friend.

Good luck, and do ask questions along the way.

@musicman1951 - thank you for your reply. Apologies for any confusion. Sometimes it can be a number of days between shaves, as I’m on call for my job 1 week in 5, so sometimes it’s late before attempting a shave, so will leave it, other times it can be my skin is irritated, so I leave it the heal.

I have tried various creams and soaps, but if left on they aggravated my skin (didn’t think mine was sensitive). The ones that didn’t work: Proraso Sandalwood (tub/pot), Wilkinson sword pot, Trufit and Hill number 10, Arko stick, Palmolive, Hawkins and Brimble, Clubman Pinaud, Cella red pot, Tabac tube. There’s may be others, I can’t recall.

The only one so far I’ve managed to tolerate is The body shop macaroot cream.

I want to be bbs, and daily or every 2 days, but it’s not always feasible, especially if aggravated skin.

@Psychtec - Apologies for a lack of detailed response, but I was tired last night.

So my current shaving arrangement is between 2-4 days. Sometimes I’m pleased, other times (when I have irritation) I’m not. The shaves that seem to leave me with irritation is the 7 ish minutes shaves, as opposed not to the 10 plus minute shaves.

I had picked the Fatip Piccolo and may stick with it, failing that I’ll go back to the semi slant. As for the hardware - not sure what I’m looking for. I previously went for the R89 as it was a better finish than the Merkur, but as I said in my OP, it broke on the thread, but managed to frankenrazor the handle using a travel razor (Merkur). So in terms of mild, aggressive etc I have no clue. All I want is to be able to shave with less passes if possible but definitely less irritation.

My current regime of passes is usually 2, with touch ups (when the irritation kicks in) and is WTG and ATG. I now use an Alum block, which helps massively.

I hope this is enough information?

As for questions:

Has anyone tried a single edge ac style razor?
Any recommendations for a good protective cream?

Years ago, I used to use Noxema from a can, I might try their pot. Has anyone else tried theirs? Any good?

Blades! Buy a solid blade sample pack. For whatever reason I've found that certain brands of blades are better/worse for me and my skin. Popular choices like Feather, Gilette Silver Blue, Nacet etc. don't work for me at all so trying different blades can make a huge difference. Also it takes time for your skin to adjust to DE shaving and you might end up with a little irritation no matter what anyways for a little while. Take a minute, wait a few days between shaves for a little bit AND ACTUALLY WAIT for the nicks, cuts and bumps to heal properly before shaving again. A good aftershave routine goes a long way as well. Make sure the skin is clean and moisturised afterwards sometimes the harshness of shaving soap + brush + blade can really dry it up.

Thanks for all contributions. I had a shave last night, 3 day growth. I took my time, my lather seemed different and thicker, which may have helped. Great shave with very little irritation and very few nicks/bleeds.

I used my Fatip Piccolo, which was great, but think it might be too small, as I seemed to be getting some dull muscle ache using it. I’ll see what a single/2 day growth is like. I might also try the semi - slant as this feels more comfortable in my hand.

@InconsistentShaves Reading through this thread, and reflecting on the early years of my own wet shaving journey, I wonder if you might be running in to some limitations from your lather and post care. Sounds like you noticed an improved lather in your last post. While equipment and technique are important, employing them in dry or less protective lather can certainly contribute to negative outcomes, including irritation and injury.

I have found the ability to develop a well hydrated and dense lather, sometimes described as yogurt consistency, valuable in warding off a number issues. And just as important was a post care product or process that provided nourishing skin beneficials to aid recovery and repair, something that might be even more critical while you are dialing in equipment and technique. Do you feel like you are developing wet, slick, and protective lathers? Are you using anything for post care (aftershave, balm, etc)?

@InconsistentShaves Do you feel like you are developing wet, slick, and protective lathers? Are you using anything for post care (aftershave, balm, etc)?

When I first started, I tried using the styptic matches, which are imo one of the worst things ever. I have always used a balm after the shave when I started DE shaving - not so much when I shaved with a Mach 3 et al.

I did use the body shop post shave gel - which is really nice but on the dearer side. I’m currently looking for a new alum block (mine’s nearly ran out) and some new balms. I’m currently using Nivea. I’m now staring to wonder if the shaves I got decent with previously were because of thicker lather.

I remember (prior to all the internet available knowledge) shaving around aged 17 upwards using disposables and shaving gel or foam - which was really thick, so last nights I tried to base on that, so like you say, more like a thick yoghurt.

Thanks from the replies/advice so far. I can’t bring myself to own a 2nd hand razor...

Have you considered a refurbished vintage razor from Back Roads Gold?

The razors are disassembled, cleaned, adjusted, and re-plated. It costs a bit more than the same razor on Ebay, but you are essentially getting a new razor.

That's not to say you can't get a great shave from a new razor, but it may be an option...and you really are missing out on some fantastic vintage razors.

Top Bottom