What's new

Feather srtist sr folding or non folding?

Hi I've been looking into purchasing a feather artist sr and am stuck between getting the folding or japenese style. A little over a year ago I purchaced my first (and very cheap) folding shavette. It's really hard for me to see when starting my left sideburn and find myself trying to hold it in a strait position when going against the grain on my neck and sometimes while shaving my face. It also really likes to catch the hairs which either stops my motion or cuts a little if I am not careful(thinking it's the design in how it holds the blade?) I can't really purchase both at the moment to see which I like better and was wondering if it's comfortable and easy to hold the folding version in a japenese style without it trying to pivot at the fold point and still have the option to hold it like a folding razor? I also use proraso protective shave cream and find it drying out before I have time to shave my whole face. Is it common for beginners that are a bit slow at shaving or could I possibly be lathering it up wrong?

Yes, you can easily use the folding version with the scales straight. They will stay in position.

Other than that, the folding razor is easier for transporting the razor, and safer if you leave it in your bathroom with a blade installed. The Japanese style allows you to hold it by the handle rather than close to the blade. You can buy a separate cover for the Feather Japanese style razors but it’s a bit fiddly to take off.

Hi I've been looking into purchasing a feather artist sr and am stuck between getting the folding or japenese style. A little over a year ago I purchaced my first (and very cheap) folding shavette. It's really hard for me to see when starting my left sideburn and find myself trying to hold it in a strait position when going against the grain on my neck and sometimes while shaving my face. It also really likes to catch the hairs which either stops my motion or cuts a little if I am not careful(thinking it's the design in how it holds the blade?) I can't really purchase both at the moment to see which I like better and was wondering if it's comfortable and easy to hold the folding version in a japenese style without it trying to pivot at the fold point and still have the option to hold it like a folding razor? I also use proraso protective shave cream and find it drying out before I have time to shave my whole face. Is it common for beginners that are a bit slow at shaving or could I possibly be lathering it up wrong?
I also use proraso protective shave cream and find it drying out before I have time to shave my whole face. Is it common for beginners that are a bit slow at shaving or could I possibly be lathering it up wrong?
Welcome to B&B. There are many threads with lathering advice. My use and opinion with lather is simple. Use shave soap with abandon. Load up your brush as thick as you can. Once you have worked the lather into your whiskers and skin. Dip the brush tips preferably in water saved from blooming the soap or straight water and continue working the lather to your desired consistency. Water, brush, soap, agitation. It isn’t complicated. If you are new to lathering. Try lathering in your palm. This will help you to make judgments on the lather, brush and soap. You can adjust drying lather at any time with a little brush dunk into the water and rehydrating your lather. Welcome to the shave community. Enjoy your shaves.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have a little bit of experience with both styles and my preference was for the Kamisori (Japanese) style. It seemed more nimble and easier to move around my face. That being said, I think you'd have to try both to know for sure which you prefer.
Got the straight of it, for sure! I prefer a kamisori style for shaving my head, as Western leads to some really strange grips. But I have both.

O.H.

Top Bottom