What's new

Enlighten me. What are the best flashlights these days?

I'm a big fan of being able to see in the dark when necessary. Maglites have always been my preferred tool for this job. I've had them in sizes ranging from the single-cell AAA keychain to the 6-cell D that could double as a baseball bat. I know I still have a few tucked away.

Lately, SWMBO and I have been talking about getting the family into camping, which has had me looking into gear. I noticed that, while they're still available online, my old standby Mag Lites aren't on the local shelves. They've been replaced by the rechargeable five-gazillion lumen/candlepower "tactical" lights. Intrigued, I picked one of the cheaper ones up at Wally World...an Energizer.

I gave this little light a try during some backyard camp outs/fire pit nights with my boy. I think I got three nights out of it before he stole it and hid it (found it, completely dead, a few days ago). I was impressed with the brightness. I think we got a total of about two hours of high on it, maybe a bit more, and I didn't recharge it between nights. I can't make a fair assessment of battery life, because I'm not sure it was fully charged when we started.

I didn't like the fact that the charging port was covered with a push-in rubber blob on the side, connected by skinny little tab. It's broke off now, and probably gone for good.

All in all, I was fairly impressed by this cheap little light, and have considered trying a couple of somewhat higher quality in the near future. I'm just wondering what some of the better brands and models are out there for less than $100.

I'd like suggestions for a pocket/belt light...possibly something that would fit in a sheath with a multi tool...for EDC, a "standard" size hand light and possibly a headlamp.

Features that I'd be interested in would include an adjustable beam (spot-flood), multiple power levels and a lower power red light function for astronomy use. A big plus would be the ability to use alkaline batteries should I be away from/without power for an extended period of time.

Fenix Tactical are my go to for smaller lights. Many use rechargeable 18650 batteries but will also accept CR123. I power mine with the 18650 batteries. There should be a couple around the $100usd mark. They make great headlamps too.

AA and AAA don't have enough power or capacity if you want high lumen. That said, I own many AA flashlights that are quite bright. But once you get into that 500+ lumen, it's hard to go back to AA.

The good news is, many 18650 batteries can be purchased with micro USB built in, so you can always camp with a 20000mah battery pack, which will charge it a few times.

Surefire and Streamlight are also great choices. I own a couple Streamlight and they have been reliable and powerful.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Flashlights are one of those things that have come a LONG way in recent years. I was also a big fan of Maglites, back in the day, but even a $10 Cree bulb light off Aliexpress will leave them for dead in terms of brightness and battery life.

I usually go for the ones with AA or AAA batteries. While they are sometimes not as bright as the ones with rechargeable batteries, they are bright enough for my purposes, and the batteries are always available and on hand. In an emergency where the power goes out, the last thing I need is to reach for my rechargeable light to find it has gone flat and I've no way to charge it.

If you'd like headlamps, I can recommend Black Diamond's. I have two, the "Revolt" (rechargable) and the "Storm" (waterproof).
Both have all the features you list. They may have some updated versions by now, it is a few years ago that I got them.

Nobody needs a tactical flashlight for camping, or most any other common purpose. The mega-lumens are overkill, and with some having cheap build quality and short life-spans, I'll never buy another one. They're really scaled for police or military needs.

A Mag-Lite is perfectly fine. Cheap, easily available batteries, reliable functioning, sufficiently bright for the trail and bullet-proof. What more do you need? A Chinese flashlight with a delicate recharging port?, expensive, hard-to-find batteries?, a torch you'll soon start slapping to keep the light on...at least until you toss it in the bin?

Generally, the rechargeables are useless for wilderness camping. They will die long before you return to civilisation.
Sure, you could bring a portable recharging pack along to recharge your electric torch, or mobile phone, computer speakers, ear-buds...but why would you bring such dependant things camping anyway? Each to his own, I suppose.

I always bring a paraffin lantern for camping. Coleman used to make good ones. Set it on a table, hang it from a tree and you'll have light all night if you want. Bring extra fuel and mantles and you're good for a week.
As a youth, I camped countless times with nothing more than a scout's hand-torch and a transistor radio.
However, if you go night-fishing, you may enjoy a head-mounted lamp. They leave your hands free for baiting and tying knots.

I've bought many modern electric torches and lanterns, disposable cells or rechargeable. It doesn't matter. They were all cheaply made in China, all proved unreliable and didn't last long before something broke. They've all been tossed by now and I'm back to using the old dry-cell torches I bought decades ago that still work flawlessly.

I think you're good with the Mag-Lites. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I usually have two propane lanterns ready to go in camp...one hanging high for general illumination, the other at table level that can be moved around as necessary.

I do night fish and do some stargazing/telescope astronomy. The headlamps are great for such purposes.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I'd recommend Fenix as well. Look into their EDC lights. $30-$80 USD. I have an older tactical that I've had for at least a decade and it is still going strong. As @razorboi states I don't need anything as bright as it is, but it's nice to have. The build is definitely not an issue. It's built like a little tank.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
An ever-changing question ... but agree with above: Fenix is a great place to start.

Rechargeable 18650 with spares. A small solar panel/charger to run it via micro USB is good to have too.

AA

I'd recommend Fenix as well. Look into their EDC lights. $30-$80 USD. I have an older tactical that I've had for at least a decade and it is still going strong. As @razorboi states I don't need anything as bright as it is, but it's nice to have. The build is definitely not an issue. It's built like a little tank.
The "Tactical" aspect of mine are just the anti-roll head when placed down on a picnic table or rockface (camping) and the momentary on tailcap switch (my perferene for powering on/off a light). I don't mount them on any pistols or have pressure switches, but they can accomodate it if I ever get recruited to a SWAT team.

Flashlights are one of those things that have come a LONG way in recent years. I was also a big fan of Maglites, back in the day, but even a $10 Cree bulb light off Aliexpress will leave them for dead in terms of brightness and battery life.

I usually go for the ones with AA or AAA batteries. While they are sometimes not as bright as the ones with rechargeable batteries, they are bright enough for my purposes, and the batteries are always available and on hand. In an emergency where the power goes out, the last thing I need is to reach for my rechargeable light to find it has gone flat and I've no way to charge it.
The Mag Lites will definitely stick around, even if I go with a rechargeable option as primary.
The "Tactical" aspect of mine are just the anti-roll head when placed down on a picnic table or rockface (camping) and the momentary on tailcap switch (my perferene for powering on/off a light). I don't mount them on any pistols or have pressure switches, but they can accomodate it if I ever get recruited to a SWAT team.
"Tactical" has become the current equivalent of "new and improved" for selling men stuff...lol

Legion

Staff member
The Mag Lites will definitely stick around, even if I go with a rechargeable option as primary.

"Tactical" has become the current equivalent of "new and improved" for selling men stuff...lol
Tactical = painted black.

Actually, one of the things I like about maglites is you can buy them in every colour under the sun. Who needs to be finding a black flashlight in the dark?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fenix Tactical are my go to for smaller lights. Many use rechargeable 18650 batteries but will also accept CR123. I power mine with the 18650 batteries. There should be a couple around the $100usd mark. They make great headlamps too.

AA and AAA don't have enough power or capacity if you want high lumen. That said, I own many AA flashlights that are quite bright. But once you get into that 500+ lumen, it's hard to go back to AA.

The good news is, many 18650 batteries can be purchased with micro USB built in, so you can always camp with a 20000mah battery pack, which will charge it a few times.

Surefire and Streamlight are also great choices. I own a couple Streamlight and they have been reliable and powerful.

I have two versions of the Fenix PD35. I liked the first version I had so much, I bought my wife and both sons one of them. I found I really like the Lee Valley Tool Company flashlight holster. It fits nicely on my belt and holds the PD35 perfectly.

If it's dark out and you drop your flashlight in the woods, it won't matter if it's black, red or blue, they'll all be difficult to find if you don't have a second one to find it.

A few makers use a small low level blink (battery status) to held find them in the dark. My camping lanterns have this feature.

Different color options are nice, but I don't see it being an issue or benefit one way or another, in actual use.

All of mine are for camping and each person usually has one on them if out at night. Around camp, they are stored in a known spot and the same at home. Around home, in a drawer or ammo box and a Streamlight HL 5-X (3500 lumen) at the back door/yard.

Last edited:
I love my Fenix flashlights I have a E35, LD12, and a E03R. I recently got into Sofirn lights however and for the low cost compared to Fenix lights. I will say the Sofirns are top-notch, great build quality and solid lights.
Same, I have the

Fenix PD36 TAC Tactical Flashlight, 3000 Lumen USB-C Rechargeable, with LumenTac Organizer​

it's an amazing flashlight, use it every day. And it will blind the hell out of any attacker.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I camp a lot. Used to use mag lights as well. Just threw them out. No need for regular batteries when 18650’s are so great. The mag lights have been sitting in the drawer now for years. I have three different inexpensive Amazon 18650 lights. They are bright, reliable and have zoom and power levels, including flash and strobe. I go a month or so between charging on average. Even with the usb port batteries, I use a small nitecore digital charger for most efficient lithium charging. But I tend to stick with name brand 18650 batteries with no bms, as they hold more juice and have less intelligent electronics to break. 18650 is the way to go. Been thinking of buying a more expensive light, but if so, that would only be for fun, as the cheap Amazon lights work amazingly well if you employ a quality 18650 battery.

I’ve been using this flashlight regularly since 2017 with zero issues. I have two more from other brands I bought in 2015 that are also still in regular use. Good ole amazon makes looking up purchase dates a breeze. I have accumulated a bunch of 18650 batteries and chargers over the years.

Camped off grid for 15+ days in a tent a couple of times. Brought a few batteries, a usb based 18650 charger, a few usb phone chargers, and a foldable 21 watt usb solar panel. Hung the solar panel on my tent, etc, during the day and charged up my batteries. Swapped them out the next day. Repeat. Worked like a charm. Plus it was fun. Used a little drok usb meter to track charging too.

Still gonna buy a nicer light soon. Just for fun. Don’t need. Just want it.

Top Bottom