What's new

Dovo-Primo I&II what a pleasant surprise

Yeah, the Dovo is brass! Pretty much made like the old Gillette's. And I personally don't see it overpriced at all for what it is. @J0824 , if you get the opportunity to see one in person and handle it, your opinion might change. It's incredibly well built and the finish is superb!
It ain't a Merkur!

I doubt you read the description. It clearly states:

View attachment 1796865
Correct if I'm wrong, but a 'zinc die-cast shaving head' is what the Germans call a "Rasierkopf aus Zinkdruckguss" as it says on the German language Dovo website. "Zinkdruckguss" is zamak/pot metal. It ain't brass.

Only the handle is made from chrome plated brass. The head (bar + cap), is made from chrome plated zamak/pot metal (a mostly "zinc" mixture of different metals. A.k.a. "Zink" in German).

It's basically made in the exact same way as all the Merkur models or the KCG razor available in any drugstore for half the price; also a brass plated handle and zinc die-cast head.

Now, I ain't saying that it's not a good razor. I'm just stating facts that to me, make it too expensive for what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct if I'm wrong, but a 'zinc die-cast shaving head' is what the Germans call a "Rasierkopf aus Zinkdruckguss" as it says on the German language Dovo website. "Zinkdruckguss" is zamak/pot metal. It ain't brass.

Only the handle is made from chrome plated brass. The head (bar + cap), is made from chrome plated zamak/pot metal (a mostly "zinc" mixture of different metals. A.k.a. "Zink" in German).

It's basically made in the exact same way as all the Merkur models or the KCG razor available in any drugstore for half the price; also a brass plated handle and zinc die-cast head.

Now, I ain't saying that it's not a good razor. I'm just stating facts that to me, make it too expensive for what it is.
Certainly we are all entitled to our opinions, but I would like to point out a couple of things. Zamak works fine until the plating is broken and the pot metal starts to rot. If razor is dropped on a hard surface the plating can be damaged and corrosion can begin. A more common way for plating damage to occur is the wear on the cap screw from repeated loosening and tightening of the handle. If a softer metal (brass) is used on the screw or handle, the wear on the plated Zamak part will be greatly reduced. This is the approach Dovo uses on their handle, and Muhle uses on their cap screw.

One other thing I would point out. When you compare the plating coverage of the Dovo to the Merkur the Dovo appears thicker and smoother.

Is stainless steel better than Zamak, with out a doubt it is. Is the Dovo over priced at $40-$50 when compared to the most popular Merkur and Muhle zamak razors? We can all give our opinions.

Certainly we are all entitled to our opinions, but I would like to point out a couple of things. Zamak works fine until the plating is broken and the pot metal starts to rot. If razor is dropped on a hard surface the plating can be damaged and corrosion can begin. A more common way for plating damage to occur is the wear on the cap screw from repeated loosening and tightening of the handle. If a softer metal (brass) is used on the screw or handle, the wear on the plated Zamak part will be greatly reduced. This is the approach Dovo uses on their handle, and Muhle uses on their cap screw.

One other thing I would point out. When you compare the plating coverage of the Dovo to the Merkur the Dovo appears thicker and smoother.

Is stainless steel better than Zamak, with out a doubt it is. Is the Dovo over priced at $40-$50 when compared to the most popular Merkur and Muhle zamak razors? We can all give our opinions.

I have owned Merkur razors and agree that their plating isn't the best. My former Mühle razor had far better plating. Same goes for the KCG razor.

The point of my post however, is that in the end, the Dovo is still partly a zamak chrome plated razor. In that regard it is not different from any Merkur or many other razors from Asia that cost half the price (the KCG from China, Parker, Pearl from India for example).

The asking price for the Primo is 49 euro. For that kind of money I expect an all brass plated razor, handle and head. Not just a brass handle and a pot metal head. Fatip can sell an all brass plated razor for 20 to 25 euro. I don't see added value with the Dovo that justifies its price.

I have owned Merkur razors and agree that their plating isn't the best. My former Mühle razor had far better plating. Same goes for the KCG razor.

The point of my post however, is that in the end, the Dovo is still partly a zamak chrome plated razor. In that regard it is not different from any Merkur or many other razors from Asia that cost half the price (the KCG from China, Parker, Pearl from India for example).

The asking price for the Primo is 49 euro. For that kind of money I expect an all brass plated razor, handle and head. Not just a brass handle and a pot metal head. Fatip can sell an all brass plated razor for 20 to 25 euro. I don't see added value with the Dovo that justifies its price.

To your point the Dovo is a partly Zamak chrome plated razor. Where I take exception is that it is different than Merkur and many other razors from Asia that cost half as much. By addressing this highest failure area (cap screw)of most any Zamak razor along with better plating the Dovo should out last the above razors.

As seen earlier in this discussion the prices can range from the high $30’s to the high $40’s.

You are correct concerning the the Fatip being all brass. They can also get away with plating far from the best because brass really doesn’t need protecting. I would note their QC with regard to blade alignment on two of their razors that I own.

The asking price for the Primo is 49 euro. For that kind of money I expect an all brass plated razor, handle and head. Not just a brass handle and a pot metal head. Fatip can sell an all brass plated razor for 20 to 25 euro.
You have a point here, but then again, the Primo doesn’t have blade alignment issues... 😉
I don't see added value with the Dovo that justifies its price.
You should shave with it. You likely will change your mind.

Agree with @JAHE
Dovo Primo is one of my top razors. If I want daily efficient and very smooth shave (3 passes) with Kai blade it's same level of results for me as following:
Overlander
Lamda Athena
WR2 in 1.00 gap

But again Dovo Primo cost 40, not 150, 200, 380 ...

best razor for little money for me

20240222_073516.jpeg

🤩

Top Bottom