What's new

Dovo-Primo I&II what a pleasant surprise

I just have discovered this thread 😀

I got one of the Primos (Primo II) as a birthday gift back in December but haven't had a chance to test drive it as yet.

So haven't shaved with this razor to date, but decided to give it a try at the weekend. I really dig the design, the craftsmanship and the finish looks fine to my eyes.

View attachment 1775309

There's one "design flaw" though, at least I'd call it as one , being the shaving nerd I am (though average Joe might not even notice it and other nerds might not even care, too).

That's the issue.
The lenght of the post is in fact very long, the top part hasn't got any ridges, as pictured.

View attachment 1775322

The design of the thread results in the effect that one can only use the OEM Primo handle with the OEM Primo razor head. But other handle/razor head combos won't work with either the Primo handle or the Primo head.

To be clesr, I don't consider this as a design flaw of the Dovo Primo razor as such, but I thought it's worth noting for us geeks, since it hasn't been mentioned here...

For me this is in fact a slight disappointment, since I had loved to match the really nice Primo handle with other razor heads.

But we shall see now how the shave with this beauty goes... will report back.

Cheers!
As a fellow shaving nerd, I think it was designed to be used as a matching combo (razor head & handle). It was purpose built as to avoid water from seeping in the handle and staying there. It avoids premature rusting!
Luckily I don't swap handles. I like factory handles to match it's factory head. But I know many like you like to swap so I'm guessing it's a no go for this one. Regardless, it's very nice as-is. Looking forward to reading about your first shave!

As a fellow shaving nerd, I think it was designed to be used as a matching combo (razor head & handle). It was purpose built as to avoid water from seeping in the handle and staying there. It avoids premature rusting!
I get the idea, though I never have had issues with premature detoriation, rust or corrosion in a handle. That includes my vintage razors which have been used for many decades.

IMO it's far more important that the plating of a plated razor is flawlesly executed and is durable.
Luckily I don't swap handles. I like factory handles to match it's factory head. But I know many like you like to swap so I'm guessing it's a no go for this one.
Like you, I rarely switch the OEM handles. I would have loved to match this handle with one of my RR Lupo heads, though.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that switching parts from other brands is not an option available with this razor, so that everyone can make an informed decision.

Regardless, it's very nice as-is. Looking forward to reading about your first shave!
It is, indeed. 😀

Have a nice day.

20240107_114622(1).jpeg

I had an excellent shave with the Primo II this morning. I've already started taking some notes... I'll come back to this thread once I've had another shave or two. But I enjoyed the first outing. Oh man, I really enjoyed that one! 👍😀👍

20240108_101001.jpeg

As announced, here's my modest review of this razor:

Two days worth of growth was to be removed in my Sunday shave, so only one day stubble was the task on this morning. Neither is a challenge for this razor loaded with a fresh and second outing Perma Sharp blade.

Here's what I have noticed in course of my initial two shaves with this razor...

● The fit and finish bith of the head is impeccable. The chrome plating on the topcap, baseplate and the handle is flawlessly executed and shines bright. TBH, it's almost a bit too shiny for my liking. I guess I've become used to the look of SS.

The three piece cardbord packiging is nice, though the colour mix of the neon yellow badge and the purple inlays looks... well, let's say it's just not my favourite colour mix 😜

Other than what I'd call an interesting colour experiment, I like the way the razor gets presented. It's a nice bonus DOVO added a tuck of their Dovo branded blades.

● Loading the blade in the razor works fine. It's a three piece razor, so no rocket science is needed to get the job done. Just put the blade over the pins, drop down the baseplate, screw on the handle and everything sits snug fit. I prefer using nylon washers on all of my razors to prevent any scratches on the baseplate caused by the handle (it's #OCD, I know). The threading post of the topcap is very long, thus using a regular M5 nylon washer is not a problem.

● The balance point of the razor sits a bit lower on the handle than I had expected just by looking at the razor, but I had no issues with grapping the handle at the correct place, almost by intuition. The position of the balance point is marked with the "x" in the photo.

20240107_135538.jpeg

● Now, the handle. As already highlighted in my former post, the Primo razor head is bound to the OEM handle, so if you happen to dislike a thin/long handle combination, this razor is likely not for you (approx. 10.5 x 93 mm, but mind you, I didn't use a caliper to measure the handle).

Personally, I really dig the design of the Primo II handle, but this is a matter of preferences. Sure, Dovo didn't invent the wheel new with this handle design, but still I like this classic design. The handle feels comfortable and balanced in the hand.

Alas, the grip. The grooves on the handle are shallow, but still offer just enough grip. I wouldn't mind more grip, although I didn't have any substantil fear the razor could slip out of hand during the shaves. But still, I shaved with some caution. My pinky rested below the bottom of the handle whilst shaving, this added some additional security and worked well. Surprisingly, I had the feeling the grip of the handle increased as soon as the handle got a bit wet. FWIW, I have experienced the very same effect with my SS Mühle R41 GS handle.

To sum it up, the overall grip of the handle was still ok for me.
Imagine a Mühle R89/41 razor with their standard chrome handle, then you possibly can imagine what to expect here in terms of grip. Perhaps a bit more but not by much.

Besides, I don't know if the handle of the Primo I provides more grip than the Primo II due to the difference in the design of the grooves. The grip of the handle won't be a deal breaker for me.

● The long slots of the baseplate rinse easily. No clogging whatsoever.

● On to the shaving experience. I couldn’t find any details officially published by Dovo regarding the blade gap and the blade exposure of this razor. So please take the following statements with a grain of salt:

The blade gap isn't a crazy large one. My face-o-meter suggests there's a slight amount of positive blade exposure with this razor head. Without knowing any details on both figures and with a gun pointed to my head I'd say the Primo razor head is in the ballpark of a razor which sports a a .90 blade gap and perhaps a 0.10mm positive blade exposure. At least, it felt so on my face. But mind you, these statements are nothing but a guess based on two shaves, it's more like a shot in the dark... Remember though, evenI wasn't off (and the odds are likely against me), a razor obviously is determined by more factors than just the specs of a razor head.

Anyway, I feel safe to say, however, that you can feel the blade whilst exercising the strokes, but the blade feel never got intimidating. I guess the level of blade feel might vary depending on the blade loaded. This being said, the combo of the Primo and a fresh and second use Perma Sharp felt surprisingly smooth and gentle on the skin. It's a lovely and super comfortable combo on my face. Not free of blade feel, but very enjoyable. Again, if the gun was in play again, I'd say in the ballpark of Karve C/D, Mühle Rocca and the like. This Primo is not a blade feel beast.

● Both shaves with the Primo were very effective. Pretty effective. This thing really seems to be very capable of removing whiskers from the get go, given how gentle it felt during my shaves. Those who think this is just another variant of the Mühle R89 and the like are wrong, IMO. The razor head might indeed look pretty similar to the one of the standard Merkur heads or a Mühle's R89, but imo the shave of the Primo is easily superior to the R89 and its sibblings. I never had sold my R89 if it shaved like the Primo. Full stop.

The Primo shaves more efficient than these. It's efficient, but not aggressive. I wouldn't call this razor aggressive, since as long as you have your technique down the Primo won't bite out of the nothing (it might even tolerate some lapses).

I completed both of my shaves without nicks or weepers and free of any skin irritation. It took me my standard two passes wtg/atg. Just the slightest amount of touchups and I was done. The longevity of the shave was still very good, but not as exceptional as the efficiency I noticed during the shave. Is this a downside? Not for those who shave 5 times a week. It's a big plus instead, at least for me and my current use case. These efficiency beasts leave not much for me to shave the other day. Again, the blade chosen will fine tune the results.

20240108_101430.jpeg

● The razor does the work rather quietly, but it will give you enough audio feedback whilst cutting the whiskers. There's no blade chatter, at least I didn't notice any. I used a steep to neutral shaving angle (closer to the steep end). A more shallow angle, including riding the cap, feels comfortable with this razor, too. So I guess it's fair to say the razor head isn't an angle-sensitive one.

● The ATG pass was a real pleasure with this razor/blade combo. There was zero blade chatter noticeable for me, the blade feel didn't increase but stayed on the gentle side. The razor indeed took off a significant amount of whiskers with ease. I have to admit the atg pass with this razor surprised me. It felt so good.
S to N under the nose is easy, the head is nimble and as long as some caution is applied it will let you complete the fool's pass without issues.

Overall, this razor indeed suprised me as well. I'm glad my family chose this razor for me. A razor I hadn't heard of a word by that time.

I was expecting just another "quite okay" DE razor. Boy, I was completely wrong. My family hit the ball out of the park- just as Dovo did with this razor.

In a nutshell: if the handle issue isn't a "con" for you and if you don't need a whisker wacking razor but more of an efficient and enjoyable daily driver, get your Primo and thank @LRod and me later! 👍🏻👍🏻

Cheers!

Last edited:
Have had my 3rd shave with this razor and will say after 3 passes, I've had an easy BBS. For 40 bucks, I figured I'd get an updated Merkur 23C, but the razor is impeccably finished and heavier than the 23C. Mild, smooth, and efficient with no irritation whatsoever. As a point of information, I like milder razors. Looking forward to additional offerings from Dovo moving ahead.

First shave today with Dovo Primo II, Tatara Blade (1)

I did full 3 passes and result is excellent, what I can say for me right now, best cheap razor (under 50), and probably in my top 10 overall.
I have no idea about specs (blade gap end blade exposure) but Dovo did it very well. Feels smooth like Overlander but more efficient. Would like shorter fat handle, possibility to use other than OEM, different materials.. But finish and how does it shave are superb. Can't hardly find better razor also for double of that price.

I believe it can be best bang for the buck for lovers of milder razors, similar as Goodfellas Smile Bayonetta is for those who prefer more efficient as mild.

Wish people like @Mr. Shavington and many others here would try it, they can write much nicer reviews as I can.

I was also curious about this razor so I bought it and can share some thoughts as well, after a couple of shaves. I will compare it to the Henson medium, Rockwell 6C.

TLDR: It is a nice, mild+, efficient razor, with a bit of blade feel.

It comes in this nice cardboard case, with a nice leaflet in it, which reminds me of the Gillette Slim leaflet. A nice touch.
1320554.jpg

1320576~2.jpg
1320575.jpg

The razor itself weighs about 90 grams, and the handle is about 65 grams. It has enough heft to rely on the weight of the razor to do the work.
1320555.jpg

1320556.jpg
Recently, having shaved mostly with the Henson medium it’s quite a difference when it comes to the way it feels in the hand. The handle itself (Primo II in my case) has very shallow grooves, so the handle isn’t as grippy as the Rockwell or even the Henson. Wish it had more texture.
Head is nice and slim and can get into areas like under the nose easily.
1320572.jpg

1320574.jpg

The shave:
In the past months, I mainly shaved with the Henson medium but also a bit with the Rockwell 6C. So I can compare it with these two.
I used Astra Blue in all the razors lately, to eliminate extra variables.

It is a mild+ razor, but more efficient than the Henson medium AL13++. You have a bit of blade feel and a bit more audible feedback on the first pass. In the second pass, XTG for me, it felt smoother. In the end I got a very nice, close shave.
With the AL13++ I am pretty much on auto-pilot and can do 3 passes easily, with the Dovo I went a bit more carefully, but I got a closer shave with only 2 passes. Was quite impressed. Later in the day, I noticed that it shaved closer than the Henson does. Also I didn’t have any irritation afterwards. So, quite impressive!
You can see that the blade is exposed quite a bit, but you don’t feel it that much. Just enough to notice that your angle is right.

Compared to the Rockwell 6c, I would argue the blade feels like you would use plate 3, but shaves closer, like a plate 4 would do.

For people with more forgiving skin this razor might be a nice daily driver.
So all in all, a nice razor that I will use in the upcoming weeks with other blades as well.

Attachments

• 1320576.jpg
    1320576.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
First shave today with Dovo Primo II, Tatara Blade (1)

I did full 3 passes and result is excellent, what I can say for me right now, best cheap razor (under 50), and probably in my top 10 overall.
I have no idea about specs (blade gap end blade exposure) but Dovo did it very well. Feels smooth like Overlander but more efficient. Would like shorter fat handle, possibility to use other than OEM, different materials.. But finish and how does it shave are superb. Can't hardly find better razor also for double of that price.

I believe it can be best bang for the buck for lovers of milder razors, similar as Goodfellas Smile Bayonetta is for those who prefer more efficient as mild.

Wish people like @Mr. Shavington and many others here would try it, they can write much nicer reviews as I can.
How do you compare it's efficiency to the Bayonetta?

How do you compare it's efficiency to the Bayonetta?
I'm sorry. I don't have Bayonetta, know it only from posts here and specs are available. It looks for me also very good razor for that price, like Dovo Primo, just each in different category (efficient / mild )

Today second shave with Dovo Primo II / Tatara Blade (2)

very nice, like yesterday. Today same 3 full passes as yesterday + use of different angles and pressures on sensitive parts to see how will Dovo reacted and again excellent for me. No irritations at all. I find difficult to cut me with Dovo and Tatara Blade, shave is very easy I think I have to try sharper blades or Kai but as it is now I like it.

With Overlander is Dovo Primo same type of razor, which is for me to use if I need to be 100% sure of no irritations at all. It doesn't cut in deep I think, I have zero feedback from alum block.

Highly recommanded for lovers of mild easy razors, I will folow Dovo in hope of their next razor.

After spending hundreds on razors, it's shocking to find something at this price point that performs as well as it does. A very premium feeling razor that's accessible to most. Best $39 I've spent on shaving gear!
This is true. Thank you @LRod to bring Dovo Primo to my attention

IMG_7253.jpeg

Dovo Primo / Kai (2)

My Top cheap razor, easy and clean 3 pass.
This combination with Kai blade is best for Dovo Primo (for me). It can be better as Overlander (maybe), don't know. For easy daily shave my 2 favorites..

I looked for specs (Dovo homepage)

Dovo Primo
Blade Gap 0,6-0,65mm
Blade Exposure 0,06-0,07mm

Karve Overlander
Blade gap 0,73mm
Blade exposure 0,07mm
I didn't know the specs but figured they would be in that range. You can feel that those numbers reflect the shave feel and performance. More than neutral but less than 1 is my favorite blade exposure on a razor. It maintains it's smoothness while being efficient enough for a 2 pass shave.
The Dovo is excellent!

I looked at these Dovo offerings but in my opinion, they're overpriced. Just like Merkur. It would be different if they were all plated brass like old Gillette razors or current Fatip razors. But 40+ euro or so for a razor that has a zamak cap and bar, I find overpriced.

I'm still waiting for the day the Solingen makers like Dovo, Merkur or Giesen & Forsthoff start offering all brass plated razors.

One of my favourite razors was once the Merkur 1904 CC. That was until zamak rot ate the threads, bar and cap. It shouldn't be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at these Dovo offerings but in my opinion, they're overpriced. Just like Merkur. It would be different if they were all plated brass like old Gillette razors or current Fatip razors. But 40+ euro or so for a razor that has a zamak cap and bar, I find overpriced.
I doubt you read the description. It clearly states:

IMG_8393.jpeg

Top Bottom