What's new

Dove shaving soap Vs. Arko shaving soap

Dove Shaving Soaps or Arko Hard Shaving Soaps

• Arko

• Dove

Results are only viewable after voting.
As if these are the only available choices? I would prefer using something else, honestly!

La Toja, What the Puck, Haslinger, Musgo, to name a few are good soaps that don't cost a lot. Slightly more expensive are soaps like Provence Sante or Pre de Provence that perform well and last such a long time that they become economical over time.

Having used both Dove Men + Care 3 in 1 and Arko I will say that in my opinion Arko is the better shaving soap because it is slicker, but Dove is not as drying. Dove would work well if you are trying to simplify things and use less products, however, I'd say the the Pears glycerin bath soap is a better choice than the Dove and is also cheap.

If you want best bang for your buck for shaving soap it's hard to beat the previously mentioned PdP and RR hard pucks. Arko is cheap, but not as easy on your skin.

I prefer Arko, I had a great shave with it today. I have shaved with Dove original and Dove Men+Care when travelling and forgot a shave soap. I found they are both usable for the shave but dried out my skin. I don't have any problems with dry skin when I use Arko.

Both soaps are relatively inexpensive so you could get both and decide which you prefer.

As for choosing either for an eco reason, I have no idea and the thought doesn't influence my purchases.

Choose whichever is good for you and what fits into your thoughts on eco.

Good luck with the decision and let us know what worked best for you.

I won't use anything that is mostly detergents and surfactants, and I don't use anything that has SLES in it. So it's a hard no from me, no matter how cheap it is.

One could go to a place like Soapy Science and get a 5-oz puck of fantastic shave soap for about 20 bucks. One can get nearly 200 great shaves out of this soap, maybe even more if you load carefully.

Or you could get What the Puck? soaps from Italian Barber/Razorock that are triple milled, can be had for 5-6 bucks, don't have SLES in them, and will last for 150-200 shaves, as well.
Oh? is SLS and SLES that bad for your skin? I don't know much about this topic.

Oh? is SLS and SLES that bad for your skin? I don't know much about this topic.
It is for mine. I can't speak for your skin, though. And SLS is much worse.

In toothpaste, it gives me canker sores. In shampoos, it gives me dandruff and scalp irritation. In a shaving soap, it irritates my skin.

The thing is, no foaming agents/surfactants/deterrents are required for a shaving soap or cream. There are plenty of fantastic products that contain none of the above.

I have eliminated them from my life. I use shampoo bars, special toothpastes, and real shaving soaps.

I think there are a lot of people that aren't bothered by them at all, though.

So I've tried the dove men+care shaving soap and all I can say is, it damn sure smells nice, but that's pretty much it. there is basically no residual slickness, doesn't matter what amount of soap you use and for how long you lather, you basically never reach lather sheen, instead what you get is a ton of creamed up foam with a mate texture. you can for sure shave with it but if you shave with such a product for a long period of time, no one knows for how long your skin can keep up with the shaving costs of it.
Now, Arko's left for testing ;)

Oh I have already used palmolive cream and I loved it. the bummer about palmoliver for me was that it's alo version is not available in my region :sad:
I don't know what you mean by "alo version". I'm only familiar with the green tube Palmolive. I do know that Palmolive also comes in red tube but to my best knowledge, it's still the same product.

I don't know what you mean by "alo version". I'm only familiar with the green tube Palmolive. I do know that Palmolive also comes in red tube but to my best knowledge, it's still the same product.
No the ingredients for different type of skin tolerancies are different.

Update: So I've used the arko shaving stick and I gotta admit, I'm out of words with how the economy of such a product works?! I've basically got a pack of 12 arko shaving sticks on a sale with the same price of a dove shaving soap on a normal day.
about the shaving experience tho I gotta say the first thing that comes to mind with the arko stick lather is cushion, yes this soap has the potential to be one of the most protective shaving soaps out there. scent-wise tho I think it is quite uninteresting but it isn't as bad as alot of people trying to make out of it. the only and probably main issue that I had with it which was also a thing with dove was a lack of sheen which can indicate less slickness and more grip in comparison to a lot of shaving soaps out there which can give you glowing sheen such as proraso, ToOBS, Cella.. you fill the gap. although up to this point I tend to believe that the sheen must be caused by a type of ingredient which makes soaps more expensive (I assume) which of course gives them way more slickness that actually can't always be a good thing in every shave with every equipment. so yeah. I guess Arko takes this one!

indeed, hard to beat arko for simply performance and cost.
scent is big, but, for me, quite tolerable.
pick your poison!

arko henckels simpson tulip myrsol plastic october 4 2020.jpg

He most probably means the Palmolive Sensitive with Aloe. Amazon.de - https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Colgate-Palmolive-Sensitive-Shaving-Cream/dp/B00PCKYWYI/
Not sure if it is still manufactured. A few years ago it used to be available in German supermarkets. German members might tell us if it is still available.

Top Bottom