What's new

Best razor/blade/soap for buffing

Some posting in the "shave of the day" call out that they use a separate razor and blade for buffing/touch up.

Do you? If so, what does your razor/blade/soap/technique combo for chasing a BBS face look like after most of the stubble is gone, and when do you make that switch from your "cutter" to your "buffer"?

Knowing that you will be switching things up during your shave, how does that impact your choice for the first razor and blade?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Nope, I just use whatever I'm using at the moment of shaving. I'm just about to shave, I'm using a new Permasharp blade in my Fatip OC v1. I know this blade very well, usually I get a full BBS within two passes but I still do an ATG anyways. Once I'm done with the ATG I will use my fingers to see if they're still some stubble left, if so then I apply lather and try to ATG it. I don't use a different blade or razor for buffing, IMHO that is way too much.

With some blades I don't even have to buff anything because they're so sharp like the Feather blades. I really believe that if you can use a DE razor without messing your face up, you can shave with any razor and any blade. Sure some blades might not work for you but the idea stays the same.

Some posting in the "shave of the day" call out that they use a separate razor and blade for buffing/touch up.
Do you?...
No, I don't. I never change razors mid shave, as I cannot see the utility of it. Unless, poor judgment made me use an overly aggressive razor that will harm my skin. It happened on very rare occasion, mainly during first shave with a new-to-me razor.
I never use the buffing technique.

Nope, I just use whatever I'm using at the moment of shaving. I'm just about to shave, I'm using a new Permasharp blade in my Fatip OC v1. I know this blade very well, usually I get a full BBS within two passes but I still do an ATG anyways. Once I'm done with the ATG I will use my fingers to see if they're still some stubble left, if so then I apply lather and try to ATG it. I don't use a different blade or razor for buffing, IMHO that is way too much.

With some blades I don't even have to buff anything because they're so sharp like the Feather blades. I really believe that if you can use a DE razor without messing your face up, you can shave with any razor and any blade. Sure some blades might not work for you but the idea stays the same.
Yup. That's pretty consistent with what I have been doing to date. I am curious to understand the reasoning and technique of those that use two.

When I said it is a very bad idea to put a blade on an unlubricated skin I was being serious. As to the power of lifting hair...
There are several known ways to exercise the arrector pili muscles. Watch a horror movie, have your partner whisper naughty things in your ear, or just splash cold liquid on your face. I would go for the whispers...
But hey, missing the movie, the partner or the cold water, WH will do...

...I am curious to understand the reasoning...
Welcome to a hobbyist forum. Copy and paste from The Power of Healthy Hobbies: Unveiling the Link to Positive Mental Health

Engaging in healthy hobbies can lead to an increase in positive emotions, providing a much-needed boost to our mental state. Whether it's dancing, cooking, hiking, or knitting, finding a hobby that resonates with our passions can contribute to an overall sense of fulfillment and contentment.

In other words, not mine,
...emotional reasoning is the condition of being so strongly influenced by your emotions that you assume that they indicate objective truth

Ok, I will stop here. It has been fun reading the forum today. Thank you very much...

A couple of years ago, I started using my Superspeed WTG and a Slim set on "3" for ATG/Buffing. Works great for me - way less weepers/nicks. YMMV as always.

Top Bottom