What's new

Doesn't anybody polish their shoes anymore?

some good hotels still have them...the Hotel Saskatchewan in Regina has one of the best in Canada....attached to the barber shop thats been there since the 20's

I have to admit, I don't polish my shoes enough. I look down and wonder if people are looking at my shoes sometimes, and I guess certain ones are. Yikes, looks like it's time to go polish away!

the term "well heeled" comes from being wealthy and thus having shining shoes...

women especially check out your feet, they "love" shoes...and they check out your hands, too.

So those little details can make a big difference.

Substance over form. Expense & brand over quality. Shame

Unless you live in NYC, London etc. try this game: Put yourself in the centre of town and give yourself 5 minutes to buy a pair of "proper" shoes. Sure you will be able to find expensive shoes made for pennies, but "proper" ones? Anything over $300 is cheating!

Substance over form. Expense & brand over quality. Shame

Unless you live in NYC, London etc. try this game: Put yourself in the centre of town and give yourself 5 minutes to buy a pair of "proper" shoes. Sure you will be able to find expensive shoes made for pennies, but "proper" ones? Anything over $300 is cheating!

I see this is your first post...welcome.

Are you saying that you cannot find "proper" shoes for under $300? What's the definition of "proper"?

I see this is your first post...welcome.

Are you saying that you cannot find "proper" shoes for under $300? What's the definition of "proper"?
It is easy to find cheap to expensive shoes anywhere, but it is becoming harder to find shoes that are well made, perhaps of leather that will last more than a few months of regular use, so I guess 'proper' picks up these ideas. Anyone can find shoes that tick these boxes if you pay enough (hence $300). In the UK, most high streets stock shoes that cost in excess of $100 that cost sub $5 to make! I want to pay $80 for a pair of work shoes that will do at least a years service whilst looking good. My mission continues.........(the only thing that comes close are Loakes)

It is easy to find cheap to expensive shoes anywhere, but it is becoming harder to find shoes that are well made, perhaps of leather that will last more than a few months of regular use, so I guess 'proper' picks up these ideas. Anyone can find shoes that tick these boxes if you pay enough (hence $300). In the UK, most high streets stock shoes that cost in excess of $100 that cost sub $5 to make! I want to pay $80 for a pair of work shoes that will do at least a years service whilst looking good. My mission continues.........(the only thing that comes close are Loakes)

I see what you mean and I agree. Most people either don't realize or refuse to buy shoes that are a little more expensive that will outlast several pair of inexpensive/cheaply made shoes. Spending a little more now will actually save money in the long run. A $400 pair of Alden, Allen Edmonds or Church's will last a lifetime if properly cared for.

I see what you mean and I agree. Most people either don't realize or refuse to buy shoes that are a little more expensive that will outlast several pair of inexpensive/cheaply made shoes. Spending a little more now will actually save money in the long run. A $400 pair of Alden, Allen Edmonds or Church's will last a lifetime if properly cared for.
Word to the wise - I had a pair of Crockett & Jones re-soled (re-built? re-furbished??) and they came back much narrower in the fit. Sent back for rectification and (after ten weeks!) still the same.

Well I can add this. I have a pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes that were $160 when I bought them, and can be had for $150 in the last catalog I saw. I bought them in Sept. 2008 when I got a job where I needed to wear something nicer than Doc Marten boots on my feet (previous job involved going to construction sites, meeting with engineers, etc.). I wear them probably 4 out of 5 work days, as my wardrobe calls for brown shoes more often than black. I've also hardly babied them. They have seen rain, snow, slush, and a put some distance on them on a good hot day walking to meetings in DC (sweat). I also don't necessarily care for them too often, but periodically will give them a polish (don't let them get nasty though, they are always clean, just not necessarily polished). In fact, I just polished them a month ago with the J&M cream and they continue to look good. The heel is starting to wear, but the leather still looks good.

Oh, and no one bothers with their shoes anymore. I often will look down while in an elevator and notice other men's shoes. I see a lot of "leather" and a lot of dirty looking "leather". The people in my office generally paid enough to be able to afford a decent pair of shoes if they wanted to spend the money. Most are federal gov't employees though, so they probably just don't care anymore.

Last edited:
I can't understand people who don't polish their shoes. It's a great relaxing experience which you can tune off while doing. Get the music playing and enjoy the smell of Kiwi while bringing your shoes up to a mirror finish :-D

Top Bottom