What's new

Doesn't anybody polish their shoes anymore?

My wife has been in the fashion industry for most of the time we have been married, so attention to detail in grooming and dress has always been a priority for me. Shoes? The make of a man, the finishing touch - and always noticed by classy ladies.

I learned early on in my career that polish and a good shine not only makes my boots look more professional, but keeps stuff like blood, feces, vomit, etc. from soaking into the leather.

I sure hope you work in some field related to health care or law enforcement :blink:

I grew up in the Army that still required shined boots daily, most of these soldiers today have never heard of kiwi. Just my humble opinion but I think discipline dropped off when we switched to the no shine boots.

I agree. Your shoes are an extension of you and how you conduct yourself. It baffles me how people dress for a job interview these days!

I wholeheartedly agree, but I think it goes far beyond the shoes.

I work in health care (clinical pharmacy), and in the department most of the staff is female. They all dress reasonably well, but the men dress horribly. Most of them work in jeans with baggy sweaters or crumbled up shirts. Aside from the boss, I'm the only guy in the department who actually wears a dress shirt to work (ironed, nonetheless). As for the shoes, wearing clean shoes seems difficult (one guy works in dirty Converse shoes of mismatched color with holes and no laces...).

I believe they do this to "stand out" by not conforming to standards, but as it is, I'm the one who stands out by dressing well.

I shine my dress shoes before wearing. Nice way to relax and reflect on why I'm wearing them in the first place. Spit shine with kiwi (brown or black) and finish with a little neutral. Kiwi and an old t-shirt do just fine.

I don't shine them myself, but I stop into a shoe shine place from time to time.
I really enjoy getting my shoes shined, when I can find an old-timey stand that will do it on the spot. They are practically non-existent nowadays.

I brush my shoes off before I put them on and when I take them off and use the local cobbler for a nice shoe shine.

Same here. I own two pair of RedWing shoes, and perpetual care is part of the reason I went with that brand. I drop off my shoes about 3 or 4 times a year to have them cleaned, shined and waterproofed, along with a fresh pair of laces, all for free.

In between the pro "tune-ups," I just brush them off every couple of days.

Take care of your shoes and they will take care of you. :thumbup1:
+1

When I started this current job, I had to buy a pair of safety shoes. The company pays $60 towards the cost of whatever you want to buy, as long as the shoes meet ANSI/OSHA regs.

Most of my co-workers pick up a $30 pair of shoes, and pocket the difference.

They all laughed when I showed up in my $165 RedWings (I put out $105 out of my own pocket.) They couldn't understand how a pair of shoes could cost that much. I get the last laugh, though, because at the end of the day, my feet feel GOOD, whereas they all start aching long before lunch.

Shoe polish question.....I have a new pair of slip on Bed Stu that I wear everyday to work. I scuffed the toe a bit. They are brown leather, but the coloring is not even - it has an aged or worn look. Should use brown, or neutral polish?

I spit shined my oxfords before a job interview today. They were looking a bit rough so I put three coats of polish on the toe cap. I also commonly wear combat boots (sneakers and motorcycles don't mix) and I keep them looking black with a brush full of kiwi.

I learned in army cadets. That'd be the Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps to you non-Canucks. ;)

Wow, people still wear shoes in warm weather? I'm impressed! I thought it was just flip-flops for everyone.:mad3:

I polish regularly and buff with a horsehair brush daily.

I polish my work boots. I drive for UPS part time, and we are required to. Also required to shave, which doesn't bother me a bit. Mustaches are ok of course...

Shoe polish question.....I have a new pair of slip on Bed Stu that I wear everyday to work. I scuffed the toe a bit. They are brown leather, but the coloring is not even - it has an aged or worn look. Should use brown, or neutral polish?

I wish I had a good answer for you, but I tend to use neutral as a sort of finish on my shoes, I feel like that's what gives my black shoes their extra punch after a few coats of black.

Top Bottom