What's new

Does anyone else use vintage blades exclusively?

Long ago I found them, the top brands, superior in every way. I formulated a simple plan to acquire them as cheaply as possible and I’ve never regretted it. I get bbs results nearly every time, I go months without any hint of weepers or any blood appearances, and one blade will last me 12, 14 shaves or even we’ll over a month of daily shaves depending on what blade I’m using. I was even able to score a substantial amount of pristine carbon steel blades that give me superior results. Now I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone. It took a substantial amount of time and effort to find them all but I’m retired so I made acquiring them a hobby.
Anyone else?
Any questions?

I have used very few vintage blades. I bought some over the years, back when the market was small and substantially cheaper.

However, when it comes down to using them, the shavability varies. Some blades were not stored so well. My main thing was that I know that I didn't want to really love a blade that I couldn't get anymore. I was afraid of "once they're gone, they're gone."

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not exclusively; but I have 100+ vintage Gillette Spoilers/British Super Silvers, 75 Personna P74’s and 30 Personna Superior Platinum Chromes.

I mostly use Feathers, but these provide an awesome shave and are significantly longer lasting than Feathers.

Long ago I found them, the top brands, superior in every way. I formulated a simple plan to acquire them as cheaply as possible and I’ve never regretted it. I get bbs results nearly every time, I go months without any hint of weepers or any blood appearances, and one blade will last me 12, 14 shaves or even we’ll over a month of daily shaves depending on what blade I’m using. I was even able to score a substantial amount of pristine carbon steel blades that give me superior results. Now I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone. It took a substantial amount of time and effort to find them all but I’m retired so I made acquiring them a hobby.
Anyone else?
Any questions?
I have a hunch that steel was purer in yesteryear, I've heard it was the same with the steel used for straights, before steelworks start mixing recycled steel into the smelt? Albeit vintage razor blades are also thicker.

Use them antique blades up, boys .... and girls? Keep going ... one day I will be the only one with a box of antique blades :D

Reminds me of Monty Brewster .... bought the only one? or two? of a RARE stamp then used them to post a letter to his swindling legal dude .... the other was deffo two stamps ... he ripped one in half, saying now the other complete one is worth twice as much

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I also use vintage blades quite often. Have a lot of them. Many hundreds. But I don’t use them exclusively. I find a lot of them hit or miss. I really enjoy the vintage British London Bridge Wilkie blades. Some people say they are Light Brigades. Some say they are not. I enjoy that controversy. Either way I like them! Love some vintage Polsilvers and Wizamets. Don’t love others. Have over a hundred spoilers too. And a batch of 74s. And lots more. Using old NOS blades is fun. Currently working through a 74 with 15 shaves on it, and a Pre-1982 Wizamet with the hard plastic tuck and blurple label. That 74 is barely getting started. I do also enjoy a lot of modern blades. There are some great ones right now. And a lot of bad blades too. It’s like everything else. Different people like different things.

Before I read about VIntage DE blades, I used modern blades like Gillette Nacet, GSB's and Rapira Plat Lux. But now I primarily use vintage DE blades and find they are much better than today's modern DE blades. I managed to gather a good amount of Gillette spoilers and British Wilkerson swords. I know the blades can go longer but I usually toss them after 10 shaves. I also managed to find a good supply of Vintage Personna P74 injector blades to go along with my Schick adjustable injector razor. I think the late 60's and early 70's were the best time for blades. I should be set on vintage blades but will always buy more if I see a deal.

I never found a carbon blade that was any good. They all seemed tuggy and dull. I tried those Schick Deluxe Krona in the cool dispenser but they did not perform well either.

lasta

Blade Biter
I've used and continue to use quite a few vintage blades. There are gems to be found in every generation. I enjoy them very much.

Some of my favourites are 80's English Nacets, 80's/early 90's French Super Stainless, Rotbarts and some variations of Super Silvers.

But, IMO, blades have gotten better over time. While some of the old gems are approaching the quality of modern Gillettes, none of them are decidedly better.

Metallurgy and grinding have both gotten better over time, the smoothness and consistency of the bevel grind is much better on modern Gillettes than they used to be. Anti friction coating patents continue to be registered even in the past few years.

I've used and continue to use quite a few vintage blades. There are gems to be found in every generation. I enjoy them very much.

Some of my favourites are 80's English Nacets, 80's/early 90's French Super Stainless, Rotbarts and some variations of Super Silvers.

But, IMO, blades have gotten better over time. While some of the old gems are approaching the quality of modern Gillettes, none of them are decidedly better.

Metallurgy and grinding have both gotten better over time, the smoothness and consistency of the bevel grind is much better on modern Gillettes than they used to be. Anti friction coating patents continue to be registered even in the past few years.
While what you say is true, the vast majority of blades being made today are not using the latest and greatest materials or technology. Blades such as todays didn’t just appear on the market when the top ones of yesteryear stopped being made. There’s always been a market for less expensive models but nowadays that’s by far the vast majority of the market. I’d venture to say that 85, 90% of men who shave today with DE razors are in the third world. I’m sure we have the capability to make blades today that are superior to the vintage ones I use but they would be priced out of reach of most of todays buyers. When the blades I use were being made they were for men who wanted and could afford the best possible. The men of that market today use multi-blade cartridge razors or electric. People like us constitute a tiny fraction of men in developed countries.

This thread needs pictures! This is my vintage (probably 1950's) Gillette retail display case with vintage blades I have collected. Never used a one yet - just have them to complete the look. Originally, of course, it had razors in it but the blades look just fine.

IMG_9409.jpeg

IMG_9408.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
While what you say is true, the vast majority of blades being made today are not using the latest and greatest materials or technology. Blades such as todays didn’t just appear on the market when the top ones of yesteryear stopped being made. There’s always been a market for less expensive models but nowadays that’s by far the vast majority of the market. I’d venture to say that 85, 90% of men who shave today with DE razors are in the third world. I’m sure we have the capability to make blades today that are superior to the vintage ones I use but they would be priced out of reach of most of todays buyers. When the blades I use were being made they were for men who wanted and could afford the best possible. The men of that market today use multi-blade cartridge razors or electric. People like us constitute a tiny fraction of men in developed countries.
Hi Mouser,

What are some of your favorites so far? I'm always on the lookout for something to try!

Blades are YMMV, everyone has their preferences. But it find it helpful to occasionally refresh my benchmark. Have you tried GSB and Rubies recently? I swear DE blades have never been made so good!

I have acquired many vintage blades, and love how the best of them cut my steel-wire whiskers. I have found (through testing with same razor and soap) that the best vintage (Light Brigade/London Bridge, Spoilers, Platinum Plus, Plus Platinum) just shave better and last longer than almost all new blades. I know believe that the steel, heat-treat, grind, and coating on the ”golden era” blades were the high point of DE blade design.

Hi Mouser,

What are some of your favorites so far? I'm always on the lookout for something to try!

Blades are YMMV, everyone has their preferences. But it find it helpful to occasionally refresh my benchmark. Have you tried GSB and Rubies recently? I swear DE blades have never been made so good!
lasta, sorry to take so long to get back to you but medical issues…the usuual culprits fill my razors, Gillette Super Stainless also known as Spoilers, and Platinum Plus, Personna Super Stainless and 74s, Schick regular Super Stainless and one that was marketed and labeled Super Stainless but was quite different. It is mirror like and is completely free of any printing or logos. Its edge was shaped radically different and it’s my favorite. I can dig up old advertising and schematics on it if you like. I even found a carbon steel model that gives me great shaves but I only use it on special occasions. The previous owner was in a very dry climate, the southwest and it was tightly wrapped in plastic and in a small Tupperware bowl that was inside a large one. I took a chance on it and hit big. Once I decided to go strictly with vintage blades I use a strategy so I wouldn’t go broke obtaining them. I bought almost all on that auction site. After paying the going price for a few of each model I knew how many shaves per blade I could get and set a limit I’d go for each just barely above the costs for the best modern blades and that was as high as I would bid. I lost about 8 out of 10 auctions but occasionally no one else was bidding and I’d get them. Eventually I got enough of each kind to last my lifetime. For instance the last Personna 74s I won was from a guy who had 20 of them up, bidding started at $9.99, that’s what I bid and I won them! Two days later same guy posts another 20 but this time it’s for a buy now price of $99.99, they went for that within days.
I need to mention that method I used is time consuming but I’m retired.

I’m coming to this conversation a bit late, but I hope I have something useful to add. I am a daily three pass shaver on the front side of my sixties. I am happy to use modern blades, especially nacets and lab blues. I also enjoy the classics from the 1970s and 80s. I haven’t done a blade count but I have a fair number of Spoilers, Wilkinsons, Schick platinum plus, and Persona 74s to name just a few. It’s probably misguided nostalgia on my part but the older blades seem to provide a closer, smoother shave. They also last a bit longer. Paired with my vintage razors and a bowl of Yardley shaving soap makes my morning shaving ritual a very pleasant way to start the day.
I once tried a Segal blade in my matching razor. I was not impressed. I got through the shave without an incident, but I don’t plan to do a repeat performance. Based on that experience I don’t think I’m brave enough to shave with blades that match the age of my older razors. Sorry OP.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I use mostly vintage, in the DE and Injector formats anyway. I'm always on the lookout for them - Personna 74's have all but disappeared from the 'Bay, though Plus Plats and Spoilers can be found pretty easily. Just gotta watch for the dude trying to get rich selling vintage injectors in empty magazines ..

I've never found any vintage AC/hair shaper blades though, so when I use those razors its modern.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have tried a few, but haven't found any benefits to using old blades over good modern ones. I don't care about the branding or provenance or rarity, I just care about the shave. Old blades don't seem to make that any better.

Vintage is such a vague and misused term.... I think it would be better to clearly define it by the year....or era .... . When I hear people talking vintage 1990's....my head will explode.....

I have many different old blades, and the only one that is good is the "spoiler"....., the rest of the even older blades I have tried are horrible....almost comparable to tweezers.....

And I think the misuse of "vintage" started when the clowns at Apple service, called any item 5-7years old "vintage" and chose NOT to service them.....I found it insulting when I went to get a battery for a laptop..... "we don't support vintage products"....and I wondered what that individuals IQ was.... for sure in the single apple vintage digits....

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have had not much luck with vintage razor Blades. I remember buying my first Schick injector razors E & G types at a antique store and there where blades that where still in the magazine holder I also bought and when I tried them they pulled badly and almost turned me off using Schick injectors. Bought some new blades and they performed well and learned something from that experience. If a person knows what to look for in blades you can have great shaves and good storage of vintage blades help preserve them better also from prior owners.
Personna 74 blades where very good for longevity and sharpness because there was a blade war going on with Gillette and the President of Personna who wanted a better blade made from tungsten carbide that almost bankrupt the companies because they lasted to long. So they fazed out blades that lasted to long from my understanding like the Personna 74 and Gillette spoilers.
The older Wilkinson sword brigade blades made in England where very good also for longevity & sharpness. Wilkinson sword came out with the first SS blades that had coatings that where enjoyed by millions of folks and they took a big share of the market for blade sales until the other big players caught up to the new standard of excellence in razor blades, like the Wilkinson sword blades from my understanding of the past history of blade manufacturers competition.

Top Bottom