What's new

Dirty Bird Scuttle

I'm experimenting with a silicon bead on the top rim of the outer bowl to keep them from slipping during use...I'll let you know...

How about a large O-ring?

Get an O-ring that will sit around the bottom lip of the lathering bowl, tight up against the body of the bowl to keep it in place, and it will then act as a buffer between it, and the scuttle portion.

Check out McMaster for all shapes and sizes of O-rings. They sell little tiny ones, or big ones that would certainly be large enough to fit your lather bowl.

Great idea, but being handmade the sizes vary enough (especially after trimming) that I wonder how difficult fitting would be. I just sent off a 2 piece scuttle with a silicone bead for seating, but did it on the rim of the outer bowl and, though functional, it didn't look great. I had an ah-ha moment when I read your post, though. Why not put this same bead on the bottom of the lather bowl's rim! It would still be functional, but wouldn't be so visible and not such a cosmetic issue.

As always, it sounds like you know what you're talking about! Great idea! Your scuttles are the best!

Does the DB Scuttle pour out easily? The spout looks elongated. Seems like there was a mod to another scuttle that made a cut-out in the inner bowl at the spout so that air could escape.

Well, I finally broke down and ordered one too! The idea of nice warm lather even for a second or third pass sounds good indeed. And while there, I ordered one of those neat little butter dishes too. They keep butter fresh by keeping it immeresed in water, so no oxidation and subsequent rancidity from contact with air!

First of all, great pic Seraphim. That lighting is perfect; looks like a catalog photog. Second, there seems to be a difference in bowl width with regards to the picture in the first post of this thread when compared to these newer photos. Perhaps after some suggestions modifications were made. My question is it still looks rather narrow to whip lather. The reason I like using a wide, deep soup bowl is there is plenty of room for sweeping, circular whipping motion. It looks like the brush handle will strike the sides of this scuttle. Besides being annoying I would worry about chips or breakage. But the apparent narrowness could also be a trick of the eye when viewing a picture, or maybe you get used to it. Not sure. Thoughts?

I have ordered mine today from Dirty Bird Pottery.

Can anyone tell me if you can pour Boiling water into it straight from the Kettle? It would just be my luck for it to arrive from its 6000 mile trip only to crack it on its first use.
Also is it a 2 piece or one piece you have all received. I am hoping mine is a one piece as i am a little bit clumbsy to say the least.

You really do not want to put boiling water into the scuttle. Not so much that it will break the pot (I do not think it will), but it will dry up your soap VERY quickly. I have a hot pot and as soon as I get my scuttle...I will experiment with it on the lowest setting to see if that works out not drying the soap up. I will let you know.

Yes, they come in a 1 piece but she will make it in 2 pieces if you ask her. I got the one piece...no real reason for me to get a 2 piece.

Scuttles generally are one piece since that is what the spout is there for :biggrin:

As for water, boiling water is not recommended. The scuttle is there to keep your brush warm, not hot. Hot tap water keeps my brush warm through at least 4 passes. I fill my scuttle and sink with hot water and let the scuttle warm up while I take a shower. When I get out of the shower I empty the sink and the scuttle and refill the scuttle with hot water from the tap again.

Cheers Guys.
I will now only use hot tapwater.
Julie has e mailed me today to inform me that she has one in stock and will be posted straight away.
Cant wait!
As no one in the Uk is making or selling these i am contemplating becoming Dirty Bird Potteries Uk authorised distributor. Obviously i will have to buy a thousand or so and then sell them on for a huge profit.
This time next year i will be sipping cocktails on the balcony of my Carribean beach house!

Cheers Guys.
I will now only use hot tapwater.
Julie has e mailed me today to inform me that she has one in stock and will be posted straight away.
Cant wait!
As no one in the Uk is making or selling these i am contemplating becoming Dirty Bird Potteries Uk authorised distributor. Obviously i will have to buy a thousand or so and then sell them on for a huge profit.
This time next year i will be sipping cocktails on the balcony of my Carribean beach house!

And then you can become the Carribean distributor!:biggrin:

Maybe next year i dont want to bite off too much at first.
If you are intersted i am awaiting stock. Only $100 dollars to you.

Well, I finally broke down and ordered one too! The idea of nice warm lather even for a second or third pass sounds good indeed. And while there, I ordered one of those neat little butter dishes too. They keep butter fresh by keeping it immeresed in water, so no oxidation and subsequent rancidity from contact with air!

Let me know how you like the butter dish! I'm thinking about getting that one in my christmas gifts for people/myself order. :)

I would love to but unfortunately I havent ordered the butter dish.
However the butter i have, is standing firmly to attention in its solid state in the fridge!

I received my Dirty Bird Scuttle in the mail yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. I had warm lather for 3 passes on my face AND my head. It was GREAT! I placed my order on monday, fully expecting to wait up to 2 weeks. Imagine my surprise when I got the shipping notice later that same day! It turns out she just happened to have one in stock!

I've heard a lot of people complain about durability of the handle on the other scuttles(other than the dirty birds). This handle is very thick and heavy duty and I couldn't imagine it ever breaking.

This Scuttle also has a large enough inner bowl to allow you tao make the lather directly in it. Some other scuttles are so small that you can't do this.

It's a great Scuttle, and from what I've seen and heard it seems to be the best one out there. It's also the most economical one out there. Seems like a no-brainer to me...

I just got mine back from it's week vacation w/ a fellow B&B'r. I LOVE this scuttle. My technique is to fill with hot tap water and have the whole scuttle submerged in the sink full of hot tap water for about 10 minutes (while I'm in the shower). Once I'm out, I heat up a hot pot full of nearly boiling water.. once it is at temp, I empty sink and scuttle, refill the scuttle w/ the nearly boiling water from the hot pot, and the rest is pure bliss.....

Wayne

I just got mine back from it's week vacation w/ a fellow B&B'r. I LOVE this scuttle. My technique is to fill with hot tap water and have the whole scuttle submerged in the sink full of hot tap water for about 10 minutes (while I'm in the shower). Once I'm out, I heat up a hot pot full of nearly boiling water.. once it is at temp, I empty sink and scuttle, refill the scuttle w/ the nearly boiling water from the hot pot, and the rest is pure bliss.....

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I acquired mine a few days ago (and I love the warm lather). I follow a method very similar to yours with the hot pot and all, but I do have an observation.

My lather absolutely dries out before I am done with the pass. Even if I use this lather and apply it to my face, the lather on my face dries up very quickly too. I end up applying a little more cream into the breech of the brush and face lathering to make up for the dryness in the remaining lather.

Superlather does fare a bit better in the hot scuttle, but it is still dry later.

So - questions for you :)
1. Do you see something like this too?

2. Is there a trick you use to compensate for this phenomenon that you could share?

Well, I bit the bullet a couple days back and ordered a 1-piece dirtybird scuttle in blue, but I ordered it with the custom "starburst" ridge pattern that was shown before.

I absolutely can't wait to get it, traditional lather is fantastic on its own, but warm lather is a totally different league altogether.

cheers,

-- michael

Top Bottom