What's new

Brush Scuttle makers

So is there anyone that makes brush scuttles anymore? My Dirtybird broke and need a new one. :sad:

Dirtybird is closed permanently now after the owner died, Doug Smith isn't doing them anymore and I really don't want to deal with phoenix(no matter they aren't in stock anyway).

And no I don't want a normal scuttle. I have a GP scuttle and abhor it since it does not keep the brush and lather warm like my dirty bird did. Matter of fact it is going up for sale as soon as I can get a replacement. Besides I don't lather in a scuttle anyway but in a copper bowl.

I see some talk about the moss scuttles but they look like they have the same issue the GP does with a shallow wide bowl and at the cost I don't want to shell out that money just to try it.

So anyone making a simple brush scuttle any longer?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Check Etsy. There’s usually 3-4 different sellers making scuttles.

First place I checked, and where Doug sells, and there is not anyone that makes a brush scuttle like the dirty bird or doug.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Is this pretty similar to what you want? I’m not a fan of the glaze, but they’re for sale on Etsy. Other options would be finding a local potter and see if they could throw you one, you may even come up with some improvements to the design.

IMG_2146.jpeg

Although marketed as a "small" scuttle, I would considered these Sara Bonnyman scuttles as "brush" scuttles. Even if they aren't, she may be able to custom make you one with a smaller opening for the same price.

The green one shows a particularly small opening, not big enough for making lather in, but perfect for a brush scuttle.

I use a SRD scuttle in a similar way, but mainly just to soak my brush in.

1691785406569.png

Although marketed as a "small" scuttle, I would considered these Sara Bonnyman scuttles as "brush" scuttles. Even if they aren't, she may be able to custom make you one with a smaller opening for the same price.

The green one shows a particularly small opening, not big enough for making lather in, but perfect for a brush scuttle.

I use a SRD scuttle in a similar way, but mainly just to soak my brush in.

View attachment 1700685

I looked a them but in the pictures the bowl looks super shallow and not a deep bowl. Kind of the problem with the GP bowls currently being shallow and wide.

I looked a them but in the pictures the bowl looks super shallow and not a deep bowl. Kind of the problem with the GP bowls currently being shallow and wide.
The small scuttle looks like a brush scuttle to me. If you are using it to soak your brush and store between passes to keep warm.

Do you have one that you can tell me how deep the receptacle is?

Unfortunately for me Dirtybird was the local potter.
I don't own a SB scuttle. From what I know, she is great to deal with and will likely answer any dimensional questions.

The one I have is long discontinued from Straight Razor Designs.

I don't own a SB scuttle. From what I know, she is great to deal with and will likely answer any dimensional questions....
I don't have one either. I used to but not anymore. My experience with this "artisan" is opposite to yours. From my experience, not a great person to deal with and I would never recommend it to anyone.
Just my experience.

I don't have one either. I used to but not anymore. My experience with this "artisan" is opposite to yours. From my experience, not a great person to deal with and I would never recommend it to anyone.
Just my experience.
Oh....I had contact them years ago and didn't have any issues. I thought they had a good reputation, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm long out of the scuttle market, so have lost touch with who's in and who's lut. Dirty Bird and Georgetown were the two big guns everyone seemed to talk about.

Canadians, you can't trust them. :letterk1:

Well looks like no one makes a brush scuttle any longer like dirty bird or doug smith. Not taking a chance of spending the money on a SB scuttle to find out it doesn't work since it is coming from the northland and shipping ridiculous.

Anyone have one of the GP brush scuttles that have been talked about that can be special ordered? Anyone special ordered one in the last few years? I can't find anything about it online so want some firsthand experience.

Well looks like no one makes a brush scuttle any longer like dirty bird or doug smith. Not taking a chance of spending the money on a SB scuttle to find out it doesn't work since it is coming from the northland and shipping ridiculous.

Anyone have one of the GP brush scuttles that have been talked about that can be special ordered? Anyone special ordered one in the last few years? I can't find anything about it online so want some firsthand experience.
Not sure if you have found a solution in your search for a brush scuttle. If you didn't then I want to share a bookmark of a Georgetown Pottery brush scuttle on B&B. Here is the link:

The poster @Mick is still active in B&B. I hope he can shed some light on whether that particular scuttle was custom ordered or not. Regardless, GP could be open to custom orders. Just contact them directly to find out.

I’ve been in contact with GP and it was a one run custom order. They have none left in stock and don’t seem to plan on making more. In fact they asked me to send a picture since they don’t seem to know what they look like. LOL.

So it seems like a good idea has kind of died. 😞

I’ve been in contact with GP and it was a one run custom order. They have none left in stock and don’t seem to plan on making more. In fact they asked me to send a picture since they don’t seem to know what they look like. LOL.

So it seems like a good idea has kind of died. 😞
I see nothing else but an opportunity here. One for GP and one for B&B. As in a B&B/GP brush scuttle, 2024 edition.
Put my name down for one. Please.

Top Bottom