What's new

My quest for the best scuttle.

I really like my Pereira scuttle and shelled out $$$ thinking "I'll have it forever, so it's worth it". So... Shaving soap is slippery and a 6" drop into a porcelain sink is apparently not a good thing for a ceramic scuttle :(. I took a few minutes to figure out what the ideal scuttle material for me might be.

Reenforced concrete is sturdy, has a bumpy surface that should make a nice lather, and should hold heat well. A rebar handle should be pretty grippy, right? However, I'm pretty sure my wife would divorce me if I put a piece of road on her vanity.

Plastic might work from a durability perspective, but i just think it would be wrong to have my SV or Simpsons manchurian brushes making lather in yesterday's yogurt container. Besides, yogurt containers are not double-walled and don't seam to do a good job at staying hot (I tried). They do melt nicely though...

So, I'm staring at my razors and realized how much I liked the way Ti holds and transmits heat. Are any of you reading this machinists? It should be easy to make a Titanium shaving scuttle for under a hundred bucks, right? No??? My bad.

So, I started looking for metal shaving scuttles that would do a good job and would be wife approved. The only one I found so far was Naked Armor's. While I'm sure it would be fine, something in brass, Copper or aluminum might be worth looking into as well, if they exist. Additional choices in Stainless would also be nice.

Are all of the metal scuttle alternatives to Naked Armor made of unobtainium?

Thanks in advance,

The porcelain challenged.

Last edited:
Captain’s Choice Copper

IMG_0760.jpeg

I have yet to see a scuttle, one you can add water to the outside double wall portion, made in any form of metal or aluminum.

The ceramic and porcelain ones retain heat well. The trade off is, they are breakable when dropped.

Good luck in your search.

I have yet to see a scuttle, one you can add water to the outside double wall portion, made in any form of metal or aluminum.

The ceramic and porcelain ones retain heat well. The trade off is, they are breakable when dropped.

Good luck in your search.
Thanks. Metal and double walled with a water jacket would be great, or, something solid, non breakable, wife approved, and holds heat for 30 minutes.

Thanks. Metal and double walled with a water jacket would be great, or, something solid, non breakable and holds heat for 30 minutes.
It appears they are out there.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I also have a Captain’s Choice scuttle

I think he wants to get away from ceramics, as dropping and breaking his ceramic scuttle, is what got him started on this road in the first place.

Also, you can't buy ceramic hardware on CC website anymore, he no longer sells anything but the copper bowls he's been pushing. Also, the CC brand hasn't come out with any new scents in forever either, I strongly feel that the CC shop has become stagnant. I ordered from Scott at the right time, cause thats when he still had a lot of cool stuff.

Personally, I think the Naked Armor is probably the only metal scuttle on the market, that is not going to break if dropped. But, he must be careful to not drop it in his ceramic sink basin, because FYI, steel is stronger then ceramic, and if that all metal scuttle hits his ceramic sink, its gonna chip it, and then his wife will surely expedite his removal from this life for sure. lol

I have a couple of scuttles but cannot offer any advice. I never asked for approval.
Just throw it back, if you really need approval. Ask your wife to gift you one, then make a fuss. Ha.

I think he wants to get away from ceramics, as dropping and breaking his ceramic scuttle, is what got him started on this road in the first place.

Also, you can't buy ceramic hardware on CC website anymore, he no longer sells anything but the copper bowls he's been pushing. Also, the CC brand hasn't come out with any new scents in forever either, I strongly feel that the CC shop has become stagnant. I ordered from Scott at the right time, cause thats when he still had a lot of cool stuff.

Personally, I think the Naked Armor is probably the only metal scuttle on the market, that is not going to break if dropped. But, he must be careful to not drop it in his ceramic sink basin, because FYI, steel is stronger then ceramic, and if that all metal scuttle hits his ceramic sink, its gonna chip it, and then his wife will surely expedite his removal from this life for sure. lol
Sorry to hear the news about the current CC stagnation phase you mentioned. I really enjoy my Copper bowl along with the starry night ceramic bowl and scuttle.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If I was using a Captain's Choice copper lathering bowl, I'd let it soak in a sink of hot water... low enough water level so it wouldn't tip over with the brush stored in there, in between passes... but then... we have a double sink set up in our bathroom... That's what I do with my CaYuen bowl... and the Timeless shaving bowl before that. I do like warm lather for my second and third XTG passes... and still warm enough for the 4th ATG pass.

I wouldn't count Scott out.... I can't speak for him, obviously.... I have 4 of his copper lathering bowls, used as accent pieces around our house.. They are that nice. I also have two of his leather brush rolls for travel. I use them almost every week for our trip down to help out with our granddaughter's in-home childcare. I also have two of his soap lockers..... You could say, I'm a huge fan of his products.

Thanks guys. Once Naked Armor starts selling the Stainless scuttles again, I'll probably pick one up. For the past few months, one could only buy them as part of a complete kit with shavette, brush, etc.

I have 2 shave bowls.
One is a plastic from Maggard, and it makes nice lather, radial ribs on the bottom. The problem is being plastic you can't get warm lather.
The other is a ceramic double wall from Qshave. If I fill the container, and the bowl, it will get pretty warm. Unfortunately, with the ultra smooth interior, with just a couple dots, it makes small amounts of nice warm lather.
So, the CC looks nice, but there doesn't seem to be a good surface to work up lather.

Top Bottom