What's new

The Thorn "Twigged" My Interest...

Yeah, so I have the Robin "Snap" razor and quite like it. I'm using up my Feather blades with it because I rarely get more than 3-4 shaves from those blades.
So the Thorn arrived the other day and I took a few minutes to acquaint myself with one of the "odder" razors I currently own. The loading system is different, uses a magnet to hold the blade while tightening up the head. A bit fiddly but nothing that produced verbal exclamations of consternation and blue smoke.
The razor came with a tuck of their own 1/2 blades so that was nice. I loaded up, built my lather and began my shave.
The handle has areas of grip and yet for me they weren't really in the right area of the handle. The bottom grip is great for opening and closing the head, but the top grip portion is just too close to the head for me. So my thumb and forefinger actually rest on the smooth part of the handle and can get a bit slippery. Now I know this so moving forward shouldn't present too much of a challenge. But still.
So the shave has been described as aggressive compared to the Twig and...ok. I didn't find it particularly aggressive at all. It shaved well, you experiment a bit finding the best angle but I've done that with all my razors.
I began the shave by using a pre-shave oil and then my soap lather. I doubt I'll use the oil again. My face felt greasy and gummy. I think it affected the razor as well. After the first pass I re-washed my face cleaned the razor and re-did my lathering etc. Better.
The WTG pass was nothing special, similar to a number of my other razors. Kind of a starting point/pass if you will. It removes stubble but not as efficient as some other shavers I have. I should note that for me, none of my razors are a single pass shave, all require more passes.
So now it's time for the money-shot...the ATG. Nice feel to the razor/blade, can feel the blade working but nothing irritating or a cause for concern. The razor is pretty intuitive to use and but didn't feel as close as my Flexi OC or R41 for example. But it did the job and was comfortable doing so. So with one more pass and some buffing for areas like the jawline etc. I wound up with a very nice, close shave that was just fine for 10 hours. Not sure how many shaves the supplied blades will deliver but the first outing was good. Be interesting to see how it does with a Feather blade.
This razor comes with a good price point and does a nice job of whisker whacking. I doubt I'd ever go with the Twig...just too mild if the Thorn is considered the more aggressive shaver. well made and it's a different looking, loading and shaving experience from a lot of other Des and that's a good thing. Cheers!

tempImageM3nSR7.png
tempImagePgsNAf.png
tempImagenVS0t1.png

I found the standard twig was a decently close shave coupled with easy to use-ability (is that a word). The mildness is what puts a lot of folk off imho, but its what makes this razor so easy to use. For me the twig is in the same kinda category as say the original Trac ll cart razor. Its just easy to use and get great results from in no time. Good to read you had a great shave too.

I found the standard twig was a decently close shave coupled with easy to use-ability (is that a word). The mildness is what puts a lot of folk off imho, but its what makes this razor so easy to use. For me the twig is in the same kinda category as say the original Trac ll cart razor. Its just easy to use and get great results from in no time. Good to read you had a great shave too.
It's an easy razor to use and your comparing it to a cart is spot on. It's that easy to use. The blade loading is still (in my mind) fiddly but I'll just chalk that up to it's uniqueness and being a bit quirky.

A small followup...my next shave with "Thorn" was just as good as the first two. I did bin the blade though and will try a Feather snapped in 1/2 for the next go-round. The Feathers work pretty good in my Robin "Snap" razor so they should do well with Thorn.
The only thing with Feathers is for me, they don't get past 3-4 shaves before becoming markedly uncomfortable.

Just had my first have with a twig. Too mild with the factory blade. Need to try it with a Feather, BIC, Nacet or PermaSharp

Any suggestions on technique (ie, ride the guard) or blade choice?

Totally agree with the Track II comment

Just had my first have with a twig. Too mild with the factory blade. Need to try it with a Feather, BIC, Nacet or PermaSharp

Any suggestions on technique (ie, ride the guard) or blade choice?

Totally agree with the Track II comment
I'm using a Feather with the Thorn right now and it seems to be doing well. Have to say I can't comment on how mild the Twig is when I find the more "aggressive" Thorn to be very mild as well. It's efficient but mild. As far as technique goes...experimentation is generally how I shave. I really don't notice how I'm shaving with a razor...It just seems to be kinda intuitive for me.

I've had my Thorn since the beginning of August and I still think it gives me the best shave of any razor yet. I have an ATT Windsor Pro DE in aluminum which I thought no other razor could beat, but the Thorn beat it. It gives the best shave I ever had and I tried every type of razor out there. I like this razor so much I bought a back-up, just in case. I love it.

Dead Sea Soap.jpg

Top Bottom