What's new

Great shaves after a year of exploration. Thanks Leaf Twig

I’ve been wetshaving for almost a year. It’s been kind of a disappointing experience, until now. During this year I’ve suffered from irritation, itching, bumps, burning, you name it. I’ve had to take several weeks off and go back to an electric razor, or start a shave and been forced to finish it with an electric because the burning was unbearable. I’ve bought fool proof razors (Hensons), different soaps, blades, preshaves, balms, tried hot water, cold water, alum, no alum. For months I’ve blamed my prep routines and lathering ability, until I did my fist shave with the Leaf Twig. I honestly think this thing was designed for my kind of beard/skin. It’s the first time I truly feel the razor glide in the first pass and removes hair effortlessly, without tugging. I even did a shave yesterday with a subpar lather (dry) and the Twig got the job done no problem, no tugging, nothing. I’m really impressed. I gave the Henson ++ 6 months, tried the mild for two months. I know the angle is set so you don’t miss it, but still I couldn’t get a decent shave. The Twig did a 10/10 job right out of the packet. This is probably the most YMMV experience for me, since the tool that was ruining my shaves was the razor itself. I tried with a Progress, Tech, SuperSpeed and the Hensons. Probably the second best experience has been the SuperSpeed, but still faaaaaar behind the Twig.

Well, I just wanted to share my happiness with you guys, because honestly, I considered quitting a couple of times. I would buy a couple of backups for my Twig right away if I wasn’t in the yearly restraint. Thanks all for your help and advice during this year, happy shaves

No one Razor is everyone’s GRAIL RAZOR, back in history Gillette made their razor to work will for large group of population pre 1960’s.

Today many more Razor Brands are being made.

People have more choices, of Razors, and Blades.

Some people’s grail is the old Vintage Gillettes, personally I like the Vintages.

This is one of the valuable things on B&B: You have shared your experience, and it may be just the thing that works for someone else. It's great you have found a tool that works so well for you - congrats!

This is one of the valuable things on B&B: You have shared your experience, and it may be just the thing that works for someone else. It's great you have found a tool that works so well for you - congrats!

Thanks. I was kind of convinced my skin was not made for wetshaving. Now I’ve even been able to shave three days in a row, and many products that “didn’t work” now perform just fine

Thanks. I was kind of convinced my skin was not made for wetshaving. Now I’ve even been able to shave three days in a row, and many products that “didn’t work” now perform just fine
What's the rest of your routine? I'm about 3 months in on a Henson Mild and it's just not cutting it.

What's the rest of your routine? I'm about 3 months in on a Henson Mild and it's just not cutting it.

I started with a Henson Medium, then I switched to a Mild because I was having irritation and bumps. I guess I never really found the working angle or it was just not right for my face. For the somewhat successful shaves I had with the Henson this is what I did:

- Wash face with a cleanser (Cerave)
- Generously pat my face with water for 2 minutes, or put a wet towel
- Use some form of preshave. The bloomed water from my puck of hard soap was very effective
- Find a blade that matched the razor correctly. In my case was Astra SP
- Find a high quality soap. The one that helped the Henson perform was Saponificio Varesino for me
- Learn to create a good lather, very well hydrated

Still, to make the Henson work I’d have to pay attention to every little detail, and still would take me an hour to get a decent shave. Now that I’ve finally discovered a razor that really works for me, I can get a good shave in 20 minutes with almost any soap and not a ton of prep

I started with a Henson Medium, then I switched to a Mild because I was having irritation and bumps. I guess I never really found the working angle or it was just not right for my face. For the somewhat successful shaves I had with the Henson this is what I did:

- Wash face with a cleanser (Cerave)
- Generously pat my face with water for 2 minutes, or put a wet towel
- Use some form of preshave. The bloomed water from my puck of hard soap was very effective
- Find a blade that matched the razor correctly. In my case was Astra SP
- Find a high quality soap. The one that helped the Henson perform was Saponificio Varesino for me
- Learn to create a good lather, very well hydrated

Still, to make the Henson work I’d have to pay attention to every little detail, and still would take me an hour to get a decent shave. Now that I’ve finally discovered a razor that really works for me, I can get a good shave in 20 minutes with almost any soap and not a ton of prep
Oof...20 min vs 1 hour. Nice.

I can shave with a Feather Popular with a Feather blade, no problem. Tried the Thorn and it was a chainsaw. Gave it two chances and almost had to be medi-vacced both times. Crazy aggressive Thorn. Swapped for a twig and this is the ticket. Smooth close shave. Like shaving with a Gillette. Thorn must be for zoo animals. Twig is for human beings.

I can shave with a Feather Popular with a Feather blade, no problem. Tried the Thorn and it was a chainsaw. Gave it two chances and almost had to be medi-vacced both times. Crazy aggressive Thorn. Swapped for a twig and this is the ticket. Smooth close shave. Like shaving with a Gillette. Thorn must be for zoo animals. Twig is for human beings.
I've heard others say similar things, which shocks me.
I can't stand aggressive razors. I thought the Twig was maybe a little mild and ordered the Thorn and can tell little difference between the two. 🤷‍♂️

I've heard others say similar things, which shocks me.
I can't stand aggressive razors. I thought the Twig was maybe a little mild and ordered the Thorn and can tell little difference between the two. 🤷‍♂️
I find the Thorn to be of medium aggression. I tried the Twig and for me, it was a bit too mild. Though a completely different beast than my .95 Timeless, the Thorn seems to be similarly aggressive.

I currently have a Wizamet loaded in the Thorn and it works great. It is next up in my rotation.

Glad you found a winner!

Top Bottom