What's new

Skin settles down an hour or so after shaving with straight razor

I have been shaving with straight razors honed on jnats for a very long time but have noticed something new since I have been taking a medicine that has thinned my hair. I will shave and then immediately after feel that my shave was not as close as I like and begin to wonder if I need to hone. Alum test is fine. But then one hour or two hours after I have shaved, my skin feels fine and except for a hair or two I missed, my shave feels as close as ever. Any one have a similar experience.

I have been shaving with straight razors honed on jnats for a very long time but have noticed something new since I have been taking a medicine that has thinned my hair. I will shave and then immediately after feel that my shave was not as close as I like and begin to wonder if I need to hone. Alum test is fine. But then one hour or two hours after I have shaved, my skin feels fine and except for a hair or two I missed, my shave feels as close as ever. Any one have a similar experience.

I noticed that too, even though I am not on any kind of blood thinners or hair thinning medication.

Rather, I attribute this to the fact that during both pre-shave and shave the skin absorbs moisture that not only soften the whiskers but also make the skin swell slightly, thereby erecting individual hairs in their follicles in preparation for the shave.
After the shave, it will take 30 to 45 mins for the facial skin to dry again, making the hair roots in their follicles stand less erect.

To get individual hairs to stand up in their follicles is IMO one of the objectives of wetting one’s face before a shave.

B.

Last edited:
for a while i was using rogaine.
did not affect shaving in any way.
but rogaine was only minimal improvement after several months.
now discontinued.

Top Bottom