What's new

Anyone start shaving with a straight razor and then stop? If so, why?

I'm not asking in order to criticize straight razor shaving, it's really because I sometimes think about taking up straight razor shaving and wonder if there are things to be mindful of that I might not think of. My guess is it might be easiest by looking at reasons why people stopped SR shaving.

I am a straight razor shaver and very rarely use something else nowadays, but from what I see, most people stop using straight razors because:
1. They use straight razors which are not sharpened well, therefore they do not get close and comfortable shaves;
2. Do not like the maintenance (stropping, honing);
3. Do not want to invest the time required to learn how to properly use straight razors;
4. Simply do not like them and prefer something else.

I did. I used straights for over a year before I switched. When I switched, thoughts switched to replaceable blade straights.

In other words, I still thought and still do believe that open blade shaving is the way to go. I switched from straights because it got to the point where the next step would be to learn how to hone, and i had no interest in it at all.

Downsides of straight shaving for me were:

1) maintenance,
2) the length of the blade.

If I had stuck with it, I would have probably purchased a shortie.

Replaceable blade straights solve both problems.

If you want to shave with something that is almost exactly like shaving with an old school straight but you don't want the maintenance, get a Weck, load it with a hair shaper blade, and enjoy. It's fantastic.
20240305_204314.jpg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I am a straight razor shaver and very rarely use something else nowadays, but from what I see, most people stop using straight razors because:
1. They use straight razors which are not sharpened well, therefore they do not get close and comfortable shaves;
2. Do not like the maintenance (stropping, honing);
3. Do not want to invest the time required to learn how to properly use straight razors;
4. Simply do not like them and prefer something else.
Well said sir!

1. Purchased first SR from a “knife” store 35 years ago. Blade was not sharp, shave was not good. Persevered for a time with uncomfortable shaves, didn’t know any better. Bad experience.
2. Was clueless about honing or what was involved to maintain a shave ready razor (which mine wasn’t). Probably degraded the edge further hoping to get it sharp on my strop. Really didn’t understand stropping or doing it correctly.
3. It is an investment of time and I wasn’t prepared or interested in the process back then. I just wanted a better outcome. There is acquiring of new skills involved, but I wasn’t ready to learn.
4. I put the razor down and moved on. Was curious every few years, same results. Still not ready.

Approached with curiosity and enthusiasm a few years ago with resources and knowledgeable support found here. Felt I was ready to learn and committed. Had a fantastic straight razor shave this morning.

I'm not asking in order to criticize straight razor shaving, it's really because I sometimes think about taking up straight razor shaving and wonder if there are things to be mindful of that I might not think of. My guess is it might be easiest by looking at reasons why people stopped SR shaving.

Do you count things like the Feather shavettes as straight razors?

If so, I stopped using my Feather because I got a pretty good cut on my cheek and couldn't really figure out what I'd done wrong. I've been spooked by it ever since.

I also wasn't a fan of the extra time it took because I had to go slower than with a DE. Time is also why I've never gotten into traditional straights.

I got into straights, picked up and restored probably 12 razors to shaving condition (flea-market / eBay steel was much cheaper back then) but just got fed up with the maintenance and having to put aside time at weekends for honing in order to have razors ready for shaving during the week.

Some people say they can keep razors going with just pastes and never need to hone them again. That was definitely not my experience. I like a fresh edge.

I went back to DE for many years, but these days I use shavettes and barber razors quite frequently too.

I got into straights, picked up and restored probably 12 razors to shaving condition (flea-market / eBay steel was much cheaper back then) but just got fed up with the maintenance and having to put aside time at weekends for honing in order to have razors ready for shaving during the week.

Some people say they can keep razors going with just pastes and never need to hone them again. That was definitely not my experience. I like a fresh edge.

I went back to DE for many years, but these days I use shavettes and barber razors quite frequently too.
It can be done with diamond-pasted balsa. I know, because I participated in a passaround, and those razors were as sharp as any I ever used, even though I was one of the last guys in the passaround.

I bought one with the intention of trying them out, and the honing and whatnot.

But I worry that my hands aren't steady enough.

Alcohol seems to temporarily fix that, but I'm not sure why.

[Looks at clock, sees 11:45 PM, takes large gulp of bourbon]

I kid the forum! I jest!

I respect those who can do all that. I just don't think I'm the one to try.

I'm still trying, but my interest is waning due to frustration with sub-par straight razor shaves.

I've purchased quite a pile of straight razors. Some beaters to practice honing, some nice vintage users that needed honing, and five or so "nice" razors (Wacker, Wade & Butcher, Dubl Duck, Boker) that were honed by trusted vendors and members here.

I also purchased some entry-level stones (Norton, Shapton) and lapping film. I've been fairly successful in getting an edge that will pop arm hair. In fact, I sent one of my ebay razors, that I cleaned up and honed, to a member here and he shaved with it and said MY edge was fine.

So what's the problem?

I get FANTASTIC shaves from my AC barber razors (Feather and Kai). Shaves that rival my very best DE shaves, which tells me that mechanics are correct, or at least in the ball park...

...yet the best I can achieve with a SR (including those honed by the masters) is a socially acceptable shave on a very good day.

So either I suck at using a SR, or am "not willing to put in the work" (during the shave), or SR shaving is overrated or not as efficient as using a replaceable blade razor.

I've read (repeatedly) that it takes "100 SR shaves" to become proficient, yet it took a small fraction of that number to become proficient with my shavettes.

It makes no logical sense to me, other than maybe I'm expecting too much...or lazy/undisciplined.

I sometimes think about going back to DE but it never lasts long. I’m lured in by the promise of a quick and easy shave. I have half a dozen DE’s laying around so there plenty to choose from. The problem is that I can never match the comfort of a straight razor shave. I can get away with a DE shave here and there but daily DE shaving doesn’t work for me.

I’m not sure what it is. Is it that the carbon steel takes a better edge, the stiffness of the thinker blade, the random scratch pattern imparted by the natural honing stones? Maybe it’s that I can stretch the skin easier because the straight razor removes more of there lather. Maybe I’m able to shave with a lower blade angle when the cap and gaurd are removed from the equation. Who knows? Maybe I’m just better at SR.

Whatever it is, for me it’s worth a bit of honing and stropping. I can’t see myself going back to anything else.

I sometimes think about going back to DE but it never lasts long. I’m lured in by the promise of a quick and easy shave.
Off topic a bit, but I have a question for those proficient with straight razors: do you get quicker shaves with a DE (assuming you can use one fairly well)? I seem to spend about the same time with a SR as I do with a DE.

Off topic a bit, but I have a question for those proficient with straight razors: do you get quicker shaves with a DE (assuming you can use one fairly well)? I seem to spend about the same time with a SR as I do with a DE.
DE is a bit quicker for me. Mainly in the clean up. I’m much less meticulous with a DE after the shave. I just rinse it out and let it air dry. No disassembly or anything like that. The shave time is about the same.

Straight razors get rinsed, dried, dried between the scales, stropped and oiled. It’s not much but it takes a few more minutes.

got fed up with the maintenance and having to put aside time at weekends for honing in order to have razors ready for shaving during the week.
A straight razor edge should last well over 7 shaves (assuming you do 3 passes). I don't see why a regular user would need to hone that often, assuming it does not want to have a fresh edge on purpose.

A pasted strop does exactly that, it hones the edge and can successfully get you a fresh edge, assuming stropping is done correctly. It also matters what honing paste/compound is being used, how much is being used and few other details.

I get FANTASTIC shaves from my AC barber razors (Feather and Kai). Shaves that rival my very best DE shaves, which tells me that mechanics are correct, or at least in the ball park...

...yet the best I can achieve with a SR (including those honed by the masters) is a socially acceptable shave on a very good day.
Sounds to me like the SR(s) you're using is not as sharp as the AC/DE blades you use. Keep in mind that even if someone else "assessed" your edge, there are some limitations, one of them being what that person assessing your edge expects or likes.

For example, if I would like a less sharp edge and focus on maximizing the comfort but accepting a less keen edge and you prefer to have it somewhere in between (sharp but still comfortable) and your edge fits my needs and I give it an "Ok edge", that does not translate in you being happy with that edge. I think this is pretty obviously. You need to have someone assess the edge from your perspective, let's say being very clear that you want an edge sharp as a AC/DE blade but still offering comfort (or maybe loosing a bit of comfort).

In honing SR(s) world, there are many preferences on sharpness and comfort, just as people prefer different DE blades or DE razors based on their performance, sharpness, comfort, etc.

What techniques/progressions/honing medias did you/were used to hone the SR(s) you used? What was the target of that edge? Was it achieved in the end?

In the end, it is rather easy to sharpen a SR to the level of a AC/DE blade using synthetic honing media (stones or compounds). It is also quite easy to exceed it as well.

If sharpness was not the problem, then what else could have caused this?

These are a few (perhaps rhetorical) questions, but maybe they will help you in finding what is the problem.

I’m much less meticulous with a DE after the shave. I just rinse it out and let it air dry. No disassembly or anything like that. The shave time is about the same.

Straight razors get rinsed, dried, dried between the scales, stropped and oiled. It’s not much but it takes a few more minutes.
Thank you for the reply.

Okay, so I see a difference in your approach. I do it a bit differently, which perhaps impacts the final time required to shave with either type or razor.

With a DE, I rinse it well, take it apart, wipe it dry (both the DE and the blade). It takes me quite a bit, especially because I need to reach all the cavities and be careful with the DE blade. I would also like to keep my fingers intact.

With a SR, I don't use water during shaving as I wipe it off on a sponge. I only rinse it at the end and extremely rarely get water past the heel (like 2-3 times a year), so a quick wipe of the blade to dry it off does the job and is easy. I don't always wipe with oil, but when I do, I keep a jar of cotton pads soaked/moist with oil, so that only takes me a few seconds. Stropping I do in the evening, prior to the morning shave.

Cheers!

I did get gentler shaves with a traditional straight razor but it was just too much pfaff for me with all the stropping and touch-up honing. And too much paraphernalia to store accessibly - strop, hones, stone holder, lapping plate, oil, etc. Also I started getting paranoid about keeping my razors dry and oiling the blade if I don’t use it for a while. So for my straight razor shaves I use replaceable blade razors now and they are fun - not the same gentleness as my traditional straights but the convenience is well worth it for me. I definitely recommend using guarded blades with these razors for safety.

I guess f you use straight razors a lot you will get much more adept and quick with stropping, but I didn’t get that far.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I gave it a good go at one point. But it was all the stropping and honing that turned me off to the whole thing. Too much work and too much time. Plus I found that I prefer a good DE shave to all the rest. I still shave with a feather AC razor about once a year just for fun. But haven’t used a real straight in years. Just not interested any more.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm not a straight razor user, but I enjoy looking at them..... Some of the designs are truly beautiful. I like the simplicity.... I avoid them for two reasons.. or maybe a few more. I know I would end up buying a large collection of honing and sharpening gear.... way more than I would need... and I've end up with lots of them... The cost would be staggering, I'm sure. I know how to sharpen a knife to a keen edge so I'm fairly sure I could learn how to hone a razor.. and learn how to strop, but I fear the time for those two things would be more than I'm willing to spend.

The last reason would be my steady hands.... They're still fairly steady for a man of my age, but not like they were when I was young. I have enough DE, SE and barber razors to keep me content.... for the shaves, I mean.... I seem to be attracted to these style razors as some of the straight razor users are to new toys themselves. Enough is enough doesn't seem to part of my vocabulary.

Top Bottom