What's new

My Leaf Twig review

Quick background--wet shaver for 10+ years. I own probably 50 razors of all types (DE, SE, straight) but mostly use DE razors. The last new razor I got (Mamba 70) was probably 3 or 4 years ago. The Mamba is as close to a Unicorn razor as I can imagine and it kind of killed my desire to keep trying new things (this is a good thing!). Anyway, since it's been so long, I put the Leaf Twig on my Christmas wish list and one of my adult children gifted it to me! Here's my review:

Razor: Decent weight and I like the ergonomics. I was gifted the silver color (matte, not chrome) and it looks great and the magnetic head makes it really simple to get the blade in the right spot. I asked for the matte finish because I've seen reviews that the shiny finishes can feel slippery with wet fingers.

Blade: I've now used two of the Leaf branded blades that came with the razor. It seems like people complained about Leaf blades initially but I read they switched vendors and I find these blades comfortable but way overpriced starting at at $12/50 or $19/100. I used the first blade for 3 shaves and have 2 shaves on the second blade. I may be able to push to 5 shaves, but I don't really want to do that right now.

Shave: The first shave was quite mild and not very close. On the scale of BBS, DFS, CCS, and SAS I'd say it was CCS and I was a bit disappointed. I've since tried shaving with slightly different angles and seem to have found the sweet spot to get a consistent DFS on the neck and BBS on the face. The small head really stands out to me as its best feature--it's so easy to get into tight spaces. I did not have any issues with the razor slipping.

Verdict: Once I got comfortable finding the sweet spot with this razor, I'm pleased with it and will keep it. Just after Christmas I ordered 300 half blades for only $10 (100 each of Shark, Treet, and Derby Premium). The Twig is mild with little to no blade feel and buyers should be aware of that--my guess is it's similar to a 3 on my Gillette Slim. If you like something more aggressive and are interested in the Leaf, then definitely get the Thorn.

Nice, accurate write-up. I'd like to add three points:
- I get best results from the Twig with steep head-to-skin angle--about 60 degrees.
- There's no need to use pre-cut half blades. Splitting a DE blade in half is easy and safe. I like very sharp blades with the Twig--e.g., Kai, Feather, and GSB.
- Leaf customer service is absolutely top notch.

Good, accurate write-up. :thumbsup:
I've had my Twig for a couple months now in my regular rotation and absolutely love it. It is a mild razor (some would say too mild) but I don't care for aggressive razors. I did order the Thorn to supplement the Twig and maybe like it just a tad better, but the two are pretty similar, which is to say very smooth shavers. The Thorn is slightly more aggressive to the point where it's noticeable but it's not like comparing an Edwin Jagger DE89 to a Muhle R41. :laugh:
The only area where I'd diverge from your review is the blades. I've tried the Leaf blades twice and have binned them before even finishing the shave both times. It's funny how, as we all know, YMMV. I find them to be just horrible and ordered the Shark Super Stainless SE blades and have snapped some other DE blades in half as well and prefer them all.
Glad you like the Twig. I know @Kix just got one and he likes his. I do think they're a really clever design; the way the top cap swings up and out of the way, the little magnet to help seat the blade, even the odd although curiously erogonomic shape of the handle. I'm really glad I found both of them on sale and took a chance.

Last edited:
I've had a Thorn for 6 months now, in the matt Silver. I love it. I thought the blades that came with it were just ok. I much prefer using Personna blades snaped in half. I like this razor so much; I bought a second one in Mercury. The small head is nice and nimble. And the razors look very classy.

Thorn_XX.jpg

Be careful with the unsupported corners of the blade while in the razor. They can dig in unexpectedly and cut the hell out of you. Haven’t had that happen with any other razor (even oddball ones I made myself).

I wish that was addressed, as I like it otherwise but cannot use it anymore.

Be careful with the unsupported corners of the blade while in the razor. They can dig in unexpectedly and cut the hell out of you. Haven’t had that happen with any other razor (even oddball ones I made myself).

hehehe yeah they do that on the Stando half blade I have too...see review I did...but its fun knowing your tools can kill you :)

I have never had a problem with my Thorn razor. I just looked at it and I can't imagine how you could cut yourself with the corners. The corners seem to be tucked in pretty good. It might be a technique thing.

Which corners? The blade corners or the snapped off corners?

Which corners? The blade corners or the snapped off corners?
Both really, the blade corners can dig deep into you and scar your face, and the tabs can nick you and the snapped off corners as well. The whole thing is kinda janky dangerous.

It was my daily driver for about a year and I was always getting strange cuts that I have not experienced with any other razor before or since.

Both really, the blade corners can dig deep into you and scar your face, and the tabs can nick you and the snapped off corners as well. The whole thing is kinda janky dangerous.

It was my daily driver for about a year and I was always getting strange cuts that I have not experienced with any other razor before or since.

Wow!

I’d appreciate it if you could post a picture of the corners you say are hurting you. After a year DE shaving I came to the twig and it’s by far the mildest and most effective razor I’ve used

I have the Leaf Thorn which is more aggressive than the Twig and I don't think I could cut myself with it if I tried. I agree with what others have stated that perhaps there is something wrong with your razor.

I’d appreciate it if you could post a picture of the corners you say are hurting you. After a year DE shaving I came to the twig and it’s by far the mildest and most effective razor I’ve used
I no longer have the Twig (it has been PIF'd), but I could show you some pigmented scars it gave me. Other than lots of chatter, it shaves very well. However, it has exposed tabs which can cut your nose or ear. In addition the corners of the blade are completely unsupported and free floating. If you poke them, they can move BOTH up and down VERY freely. I think this is what cut me so bad, the cuts were random and not when using pressure. I think (but don't know this to be a fact) what happened was that the corner of the blade made first contact to my skin, then flexed while other parts of the blade made contact. Thus digging in. The blade is not torqued as DEs have always been, so it should not be so unsupported. It is a major design flaw in my scarred but smarter opinion.

I actually really like lots about it, but the cuts made me give up on it. No other razor has done this (multiple DEs, ACs, injectors, even risky DIY razors that I was afraid might kill me). In addition, I now put a high premium on blade rigidity. Blade chatter is dangerous IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom