What's new

Tips on Shaving with SE Razors

I'm new to shaving with Single Edge razors. I just got my Leaf Twig in the mail the other day, and my first shave was not great. It felt great on my face, but it really cut up my neck. Every pass on my neck hurt and little dots of blood would follow.

My question is, does anyone have any tips and tricks on how to find the proper angle and shave with SE razors? Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Edit for clarification: I'm using the Leaf-branded blades.

Firstly, welcome @FranktheTank16 . There are LOTS of super-knowledgeable members on this forum. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time (and renewed my wet shaving that was on hiatus for a few years.)

Many tips and tricks from many experienced on here, BUT have you tried watching some YouTube videos (they talk and SHOW about shaving WITH the grain, ensuring your skin is "warmed" up and moist (pre-shace oilk optional) and correctly lathered, technique--this is best viewed on sooooo many great YouTube channels. If no one else checkout "Ohio Shaves" on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQDMy9uNKFYP7Ls60Hhh6kw but there are really so many other great ones out there and also some specific to Twig (much more than one! Lots of reviews!) Good luck!

(The Twig should NOT cause SO MUCH irritation as you described, IMHO, esp bc it is a VERY miuld shave (YMMV) so perhaps a bit of education. I have found the learning curve not as steep as I thought.)

Firstly, welcome @FranktheTank16 . There are LOTS of super-knowledgeable members on this forum. I have learned so much in such a short amount of time (and renewed my wet shaving that was on hiatus for a few years.)

Many tips and tricks from many experienced on here, BUT have you tried watching some YouTube videos (they talk and SHOW about shaving WITH the grain, ensuring your skin is "warmed" up and moist (pre-shace oilk optional) and correctly lathered, technique--this is best viewed on sooooo many great YouTube channels. If no one else checkout "Ohio Shaves" on YouTube, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQDMy9uNKFYP7Ls60Hhh6kw but there are really so many other great ones out there and also some specific to Twig (much more than one! Lots of reviews!) Good luck!

(The Twig should NOT cause SO MUCH irritation as you described, IMHO, esp bc it is a VERY miuld shave (YMMV) so perhaps a bit of education. I have found the learning curve not as steep as I thought.)
Thanks for the reply and the welcome! I have seen a few videos, which is why I was so surprised at the amount of irritation that I got when shaving with it. I've watched a few videos from Ohio Shaves after purchasing the razor. I'll go through it again and look at my technique. I may have been using too much pressure.

The only other thing I can think of is not warming up my skin before the shave. I had a nice thick lather and a warm brush.

I'll update after my next shave in a few days.

I have the Leaf Thorn which is more aggressive than the Twig and I love it. You might be using too much pressure. Also try a different angel. Start with raising the razor handle too high and slowing bring it down as you are moving across your face. When you reach an angle that you feel is comfortable, stay with that. Light pressure is all you need.

Welcome to B&B!

Have you been shaving with DE razors? If so it's really just the same as a DE (except the DE has another side).

I've used my wife's Twig and I have a Thorn (along with many other razors) and they give a fine shave.

As stated above you're probably using too much pressure. You can't use pressure like a cartridge razor. Also, I'd suggest using half of your favorite DE blade instead of those Leaf blades. I like Nacet. When snapped in half the snapped edge is bent down, be sure it's installed in the razor with those bent edges facing down.

Using short strokes, watch the edge of the baseplate as you shave and try to maintain the angle of the handle so the edge of the baseplate just contacts the skin (without pressing it into the skin).

Maybe a pre-shave will help you. Try a pea-sized bit of Jack Black beard lube massaged into the skin before lathering up.

Thanks for the tips. This is my first non-cartridge razor. It's very different. I may have had a razor burn from my previous day's shave, which might have contributed to the extra irritation. But I will try some different blades, as well. The leaf blades don't feel extremely sharp.

It comes down to the blade for me. I've been through injectors and double edges and they've been hit and miss. Turns out guarded Artist Clubs are both close and comfortable. The search was half the fun, but locking it in is a whole lot more.

It comes down to the blade for me. I've been through injectors and double edges and they've been hit and miss. Turns out guarded Artist Clubs are both close and comfortable. The search was half the fun, but locking it in is a whole lot more.
Do you have sensitive skin? And do you find that sharper blades help with that? Or does it make the irritation worse?

Do you have sensitive skin? And do you find that sharper blades help with that? Or does it make the irritation worse?
Yes, and for me sharper blades were problematic. My shaves improved when I went to smaller blade gaps and exposures and used medium-sharp blades. Guarded AC blades did the trick in that format.

But first things first: try those different blades in your Leaf.

It might be that you are wobbling the head and blade as you set the razor on your skin or perhaps as you shave. The balance of the Twig is different from a cartridge razor. The head could be a bit lighter and the bottom of the handle is heavier. The handle of the Twig is also round where many cartridge razors are more oval or even rectangular.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me with tips. I tried shaving again this morning and had much less irritation. I have a feeling it was a combination of factors from using too much pressure, the wrong head angle, and probably still having razor burn from my previous shave. It went much better today. I will still need to practice, though. I didn't get as close of a shave as I wanted on my neck.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome! I have seen a few videos, which is why I was so surprised at the amount of irritation that I got when shaving with it. I've watched a few videos from Ohio Shaves after purchasing the razor. I'll go through it again and look at my technique. I may have been using too much pressure.

The only other thing I can think of is not warming up my skin before the shave. I had a nice thick lather and a warm brush.

I'll update after my next shave in a few days.
I would advise trying another blade. I have used the Leaf blades and found them less than great.

FWIW

I’ve been shaving with the Twig as one of two primary razors for about 2 years. I have never had a nick or even weepers or irritation, despite using a multitude of blades until just this week. Yesterday’s shave was the second one when using a Derby Premium that did not go well.

Great success with Feathers, GSBs, Nacets, Perma Sharps and Med Preps etc.

Perhaps blade choice really does matter more than I thought with this razor. Keep hunting for one that works for you!

I got in my sample pack of razor blades, and I tried out a few. I tried the personna platinum and I really didn't like them. They tugged on my beard hair, and the shave wasn't very close. The next blade I tried was Feather. The shave was so smooth. It glided over my skin and my cheeks were extremely smooth. Very little irritation. I also tried them in my Muhle Rocca and it felt great. I ended up ordering a bulk pack of the feathers.

I'll keep trying the other blades in the pack, which include Shark, Astra Green, Gillette Platinum, Derby Extra, Astra Blue, Wilkinson Sword, Dorco HQ, Gillette Silver Blue, Bolzano Superinox, Supermax Super Stainless, Bic Chrome Platinum, and Treet Platinum. I hope that maybe I'll end up liking a more inexpensive blade. Lol I also want to try the Personna Med Prep, but they weren't included in the sample pack that I ordered.

I tried to like my Twig, but it gave me some nasty cuts. It has too much chatter as it is unsupported under the blade. One can shim under the blade to give rigidity or even stack blades.

Last edited:
I love my Twig. The Indian made Gillette Wilkinson Saloon blades are a cheap blade that work well for me. I use a lot of Nacet and Super Iridium blades too. The Gillette Platinum in that sample pack should be a very good blade as well although I don't think I've used it in my Twig yet.

I got in my sample pack of razor blades, and I tried out a few. I tried the personna platinum and I really didn't like them. They tugged on my beard hair, and the shave wasn't very close. The next blade I tried was Feather. The shave was so smooth. It glided over my skin and my cheeks were extremely smooth. Very little irritation. I also tried them in my Muhle Rocca and it felt great. I ended up ordering a bulk pack of the feathers.

I'll keep trying the other blades in the pack, which include Shark, Astra Green, Gillette Platinum, Derby Extra, Astra Blue, Wilkinson Sword, Dorco HQ, Gillette Silver Blue, Bolzano Superinox, Supermax Super Stainless, Bic Chrome Platinum, and Treet Platinum. I hope that maybe I'll end up liking a more inexpensive blade. Lol I also want to try the Personna Med Prep, but they weren't included in the sample pack that I ordered.
FWIW --

if the Feather blades work,
. . . compute the cost per shave (with 3-5 shaves per blade),
. . . . and decide if more experimentation is worthwhile.

. Charles

Top Bottom