What's new

Supply Pro Tips?

I have both the SE and the Pro and am having very inconsistent shaves with them. Can anyone provide any real world tips? Are you a 3 pass or a "close enough" shaver? Are you using the head flat on your face, or do you tilt out a bit? Any pressure in comparison to a DE?
I can get the WTG easy enough (but not very close in comparison to a DE) with the face flat or flat-ish. XTG is also a smooth pass. I am using 3-2-2 for settings. My ATG, I can't seem to get a good angle and am trying to figure out what is the optimal angle for the Pro. When I am done, I am usually finding 2-3 spots that are almost like I totally missed on one pass or another and not in the same spot as the day before. Any suggestions for consistency would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I do three passes when I have time, two if I have someplace to be soon. I have my Pro on five right now and I don't change setting between passes. I may advance it as the blade gets more use. I use a slight angle from the flat, it's something you have to feel. Lastly, with single edge razors I prefer to use short strokes.

I will usually do 3 passes. I start on setting 3 and will increase when the blade starts to get a bit dull. To me, the weight distribution is different than other razors. When the head is down it seems to me to want to pull/fall away from my face. I prefer light razors so that might be a characteristic of all heavier razors and I’m just not aware of that. It takes some practice to be aware of what one wants to do with the razor to get that good shave.

I have an SE that I bought when they first came out. Like you I was disappointed after many tries and put it away. I dragged it out again late in January this year and wow! It is a great shaver. It just clicked.

As @Whiterook said. The angle of the blade just needs to be a little more towards your skin and use short strokes. Once you figure out that angle, you'll never forget it. Oh, and invest in their black label blades if you haven't already. They are available on Amazon.

Not too bad today, decent close shave with a little irritation. Still figuring out the pressure but the angle was no issue.

Supply SE
Black Label Blade
TOBS Sandalwood Cream
Pre: Hot Shower
8/10 a little burn

Great to hear it is going better! With the SE I have the best luck when I go very, very shallow, just angled down enough to cut. Because it is so heavy, I also choke up to make sure I don’t add pressure.

You’ve got this!

Hehhhh....this thread just reminded me I own a Supply Pro...seriously. I bought one almost two years ago now, I think? Anyway, I had the same difficulty...very inconsistent, and blades were really hard to load/align properly. I gave up on it and it's been sitting in its box for probably 20 months now.

I hope newer versions of the Pro (adjustable one) have been improved because the one I have is not good, to be as kind as I can be.

I have the SE. it was my first safety razor. I go back to it from time to time and it does great. I believe my technique improved and therefore the performance of the razor improved. I’ve considered getting the Pro but haven’t do so yet.

Had a decent shave the other day with the SE, I decided to give the pro a try again this morning. Hassle free during the shave, but after all was said and done, I'm siting here at work and there is a patch on each cheek that feels like I totally missed on the ATG. Maybe leave it at a 3 for all passes? I went 3-3-2. On a 2, the ATG pass was easy with no irritation, maybe because it wasn't actually cutting much? :rolleyes:

That's happened to me. For me it means I lost the angle on the ATG pass. I have a different grip for ATG and if I am not careful, I can lose the angle. When it happens it's always during a shave that seems to be going very well. And then later, I feel the stubble.

With an adjustable I have better luck with the dial up method. My Pro should arrive next week and I plan to start at 3 and work up from there.

Top Bottom