What's new

December Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Comfort Food

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I got hungry waiting, so had some vegemite on toast to comfort me tummy.

$20151125_165240.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
How long will Vegemite stay good in the fridge? I still have a jar in there.

I just keep mine in the pantry. Don't know just how long it would be good for but have had a jar for about a year in the pantry with no issues.
Guess keeping it in the fridge may extend their best before date.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You two are funny. Thanks for being just that.

...I threw out the marmite. It was starting to talk to me in bad language.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The countdown is on. Get your shopping done and give your chef's hat a good rub for ideas. December Cookout starts Dec. 5th, this Saturday, and ends the following Sunday on Dec. 13th.

There is plenty of time to join in on the fun. Here are our worth contestants:

1. BubblesTGB
2. langod
3. DoctorShavegood
4. Brucered
5. Intrigued
6. otto76
7. Cleanshaved
8. Highball
9. SiBurning
10. Simon1
11. MrSpeedy
12. tims5377
13. jefhunter
14. oc_in_fw
15. Ivanhoe64
16. skypsyd
17. eightysixCJ

...git-R-cookin'.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'll make it 18, i'll cook.
dave

Right on Dave. I knew you would show up.

1. BubblesTGB
2. langod
3. DoctorShavegood
4. Brucered
5. Intrigued
6. otto76
7. Cleanshaved
8. Highball
9. SiBurning
10. Simon1
11. MrSpeedy
12. tims5377
13. jefhunter
14. oc_in_fw
15. Ivanhoe64
16. skypsyd
17. eightysixCJ
18. davent

We have made a few "comfort food" meals over the past week.....and another tonight. I'll be posting them during the official week. Nothing extravagant, but all staples in our menu.

Can't wait to see what everyone is cooking up or has cooked.

I may have to put forth the roast beef dinner I'm doing this weekend. Whenever my mom asks what she can cook for me that is the only option!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We have made a few "comfort food" meals over the past week.....and another tonight. I'll be posting them during the official week. Nothing extravagant, but all staples in our menu.

Can't wait to see what everyone is cooking up or has cooked.

I've got an oldie but goodie. Not something I make very often. Simple, easy, very satisfying, southern, tastes like biting into a cloud from heaven and it brings back a lot of memories.

....food memories are a powerful thing.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I may have to put forth the roast beef dinner I'm doing this weekend. Whenever my mom asks what she can cook for me that is the only option!

Roast beef in the crock pot with taters and carrots was a meal Mom made every Sunday for after church. She would get up early and get everything into the pot. We would get home and the whole house had this amazing smell of love. Mom's are awesome.

My oldest son's all-time favorite comfort food is beef stew, so I am making that for him tomorrow. I start it on the stovetop (brown the meat, sauté the vegetables) then transfer everything to the slow cooker to simmer all day.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My oldest son's all-time favorite comfort food is beef stew, so I am making that for him tomorrow. I start it on the stovetop (brown the meat, sauté the vegetables) then transfer everything to the slow cooker to simmer all day.

Sounds good Stephen. Can't wait to see it.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'll kick this one off with a cooked of breakfast.

Black Pudding, middle bacon (dry cured & manuka smoked), potato fritter and a couple of fried eggs with a runny yoke. Some hot English mustard goes well with the black pudding and a some worcestershire sauce for the win.
Growing up a full cooked breakfast was a odd treat. Now time and life makes this a rare occasions. So this tends to be made for brunch or even dinner so I can get my fix.

$20151121_110034.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Whoa, that looks so good Chris. I completely forgot about breakfast as a comfort food. :thumbup1: Great start.

...A little hot sauce please.

Top Bottom