4. Brucered
5. Intrigued
6. otto76
7. Cleanshaved
8. Highball
9. SiBurning
10. Simon1
11. MrSpeedy

If anyone has any stories behind their comfort food meals, how long they have been in your family, your first memory of, or whatever comes to mind....I think it would be nice to share.

Hopefully I'll be posting a few long standing comfort foods that I remember eating at home with my brother and folks, as well as current comfort foods that our kids will be making when they are all grown up and have families.

"Comfort food is traditional food which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the consumer, and is often characterized by a high carbohydrate level and simple preparation. The nostalgic element most comfort food has may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture."

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Bruce. For me, a comfort food that's hard to swallow now that you've brought it up....Homemade Banana Pudding with vanilla wafers. My mother would make it for me when I came to visit. She's dead and gone now, but she always thought of me when I made the trip to see her. I miss talking to her every Friday morning on the phone. I miss her big laugh. I miss her beans. I miss her love.

...if your mom is still alive, give her a call and tell her to make some Banana Pudding...lol.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
For me, a comfort food that's hard to swallow now that you've brought it up.

:lol::lol::lol:

Dad's been gone for 20 years now, he was a WWII combat rifleman...I did not appreciate that until I got older.

Mom calls every Sunday. She'll hit 90 next year.

That being said...Mom's cornbread will still choke a mule if you don't put a BUNCH of butter on it. SWMBO's cornbread melts in your mouth though. :thumbup:

"Comfort food is traditional food which often provides a nostalgic or sentimental feeling to the consumer, and is often characterized by a high carbohydrate level and simple preparation. The nostalgic element most comfort food has may be specific to either the individual or a specific culture."

I may as well just pour milk over my cocoa pebbles and be done with it.

Mac & Cheese

To give it some body, I softened an onion in butter & olive oil, then browned it off with 1/4 lb deli ham. Flour to thicken--cooked 'til toasty, pint of half & half, cup of milk, 1/2 lb cheddar (a lot less than normal), mustard seed, mace, savory, cayenne, black pepper, salt. 13 oz box of whole wheat macaroni, tossed with panko bread crumbs soaked in butter, olive oil, and garlic. Tomatoes were in the original concept, but saved until the end--while cooking I didn't want to curdle the cheese, then I didn't want them leeching water in the oven, but the cheese sauce definitely wanted the acidity, so bed of tomato. Pretty good! Good potential for developing a definite balanced recipe.

$mac.n.cheese.tray.jpg

$mac.n.cheese.plated.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, someone got excited and started early :lol:

But yes, Mac & Cheese Casserole will be in my week too, based on my Mom's easy recipe.

Can't stand mac n cheese. Always makes me gag.
Love pasta, love cheese, love a good cheese sauce. Together? Blech.

Top Bottom